PDA

View Full Version : Staples

Lavender
June 26th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Does anyone know what metal staples are made from?

Illuminatus
June 26th, 2002, 01:47 PM
I'm looking at a box right now. They're steel.

Anyway, an easy way to make an educated guess would be to try to pick a staple up with a magnet. I'm doing it right now. See, it sticks! That means that staples must have one of the three metallic metals in them - those metals being Iron, Nickel and Cobalt, with Iron being the most magnetic of the three. Steel is an Iron alloy. Most steel is made from around roughly 80% Iron, and 20% Carbon, though the proportions can vary dramaticly. Stainless steel is 3% chromium, that gives it that great shine. Industrial steel has more Carbon in to max out the tensile strength.

- Ill

Lavender
June 26th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the great info, Illuminatus! Just checked my staples and paper clips with a magnet.

What about tin? Is there a way to tell if something is made from tin?

Illuminatus
June 26th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Wildchild
Thanks for the great info, Illuminatus! Just checked my staples and paper clips with a magnet.

What about tin? Is there a way to tell if something is made from tin?

No quick way. If you've ever worked soldering circuit boards, you would know about the solder itself - a coil of flexible, thin metal that melts at a fairly low temperature. Solder is made from a lead/tin mix. Pure tin is very soft, and very flexible, and it has a silvery kind of shine to it, also it's fairly light.

- Ill

Lavender
June 27th, 2002, 12:29 PM
That means the cans of the olden days were really not just tin but an alloy of tin and something else. Otherwise, the cans would be too soft to use.

Semele
June 27th, 2002, 12:37 PM
ahhh...very interesting. Illuminatus, you are so smart! But, answer this one...what the heck are those annoying lil holiday Peeps made out of? They would have us believe it is marshmellow...but come on!!!

Illuminatus
June 27th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Semele
ahhh...very interesting. Illuminatus, you are so smart! But, answer this one...what the heck are those annoying lil holiday Peeps made out of? They would have us believe it is marshmellow...but come on!!!

Oh, my dear, sweet Semele. I am SO glad you asked!

www.learnlink.emory.edu/peep/surgery.html

Enjoy :)

Semele
June 27th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Oh Man...it disturbs me so much that you imediately posted a link...but then I kind of like that strangeness about you!

mol
July 3rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
Is there no end to this mans fountain of knowledge.