PDA

View Full Version : Obama deplores 'Jena Six,' nooses

Pagan Warrior
November 30th, 2007, 09:00 PM
NEW YORK - Invoking a racially charged controversy, Democrat Barack Obama told a Harlem fundraiser Thursday that he deplored the fact that hanging nooses and "Jena Six" cases are still found in America and that if elected president he could be counted on to enforce civil rights laws.

Obama's reference to the Jena Six incident, in which six black teenagers were arrested for beating a white teen after white students allegedly hung nooses at their Jena, La., high school, came at a fundraiser at the historic Apollo Theater in Harlem.

The Illinois senator, who is running to be the first black president, touched on several themes of racial justice before the largely black audience. He said he was tired of seeing young black men "languishing" on city streets and that he dreaded the thought of living through another administration that appeared to care little for the concerns of minority citizens.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071130/ap_on_el_pr/obama_harlem;_ylt=AiobwQIg5uay5gpRobm88n2yFz4D

Look, I'm not defending the white kid for being a racist jerk; however, I'm curious what the black community expects us to do to a person (of any age, race, religion, etc.) for beating another human being?

I do believe civil rights should be upheld and I believe the white kid should face prosecution to the full extent of the law ... however just because the offended party was black doesn't give them any right to beat the hell out of him. It amazes me that Barack would choose this topic (out of the gambit of civil rights issues available) to drive his point home.

Phoenix Blue
November 30th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Maybe he means he'd have the Jena Six prosecuted for committing a hate crime?

Pagan Warrior
November 30th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Maybe he means he'd have the Jena Six prosecuted for committing a hate crime?

That may be but the article is vague.

Wicce
November 30th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Michael Bell facing charges ABOVE the extent of the law. Because you can't charge a minor as an adult for assault in Louisiana, they tried to go for attempted murder, which is ridiculous. He should be punished, but in my opinions minors should not be sent to jail except for heinous offenses. It's bad enough that adults go in and come out with drug contacts and a history either of being abused or abusing just to get by. I think there should be strict community service assignments, however...long hours of volunteering.

sarabethv
November 30th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Michael Bell facing charges ABOVE the extent of the law. Because you can't charge a minor as an adult for assault in Louisiana, they tried to go for attempted murder, which is ridiculous. He should be punished, but in my opinions minors should not be sent to jail except for heinous offenses. It's bad enough that adults go in and come out with drug contacts and a history either of being abused or abusing just to get by. I think there should be strict community service assignments, however...long hours of volunteering.

I disagree on this point - Bell (the only one convicted) was 16 at the time, and while that is not considered an adult in the U.S. and because of that his sentence was overturned, in most of the rest of the world 16 is considered an adult and would have been tried as such. Second, people seem to forget that these young men had records prior to this incident. These were not innocent young boys who were outraged because of the discrimination they faced.

As for Obama - he is a politician and will say whatever he thinks the particular audience at the time wants to hear. There have already been grumblings from the black constituency that he isn't "black enough" so now he needs to prove he is.