PDA

View Full Version : Yule-Dianic Style

Mithrea
December 1st, 2007, 12:40 AM
One thing I've noticed with the different Goddess-centric communities I've encountered and taken part in is that they all have a very different idea of what/when/how to celebrate the passing of each year.

So, my question is to those of you who are interested in Dianicism enough to be reading this forum: what will you be doing around Yuletime and how does it relate to your Path?

Philosophia
December 2nd, 2007, 12:23 AM
When I celebrate Yule (around June 21st), I honor the sun in terms of its rebirth from the darkness. I don't really get into the deities on Sabbats but I do respect and give reverence to the changing seasons.

alwaysfallingup
December 8th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I think that my coven is going to be doing a ritual relating to Amaterasu's emergence from her cave and the return of the light, and then honoring the rebirths within our lives in the past year.

~Alisha~

EvieLee
December 9th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Winter Solstice will probably be me celebrating my New Year and the awakening of the spark of creation. Seeing as I've never celebrated a Winter Solstice according to my personal beliefs before (only in Wiccan-esque group settings), I'm not really sure what's going to be instore. But I'm looking forward to it.

CloeOtter
December 16th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I am going to give thanks for the time of rest, for the snow that is rejuvenating Mother Earth's Lands and the moments of closeness to family and friends that is gained during the season of retreat and comforting darkness, the beauty of winter the season. When Mother Earth/Goddess shows us that taking a break to rejuvenate is important for all. That there is beauty, value, and purpose to all seasons.

I would like to ask any who reads this to consider these ideas or a change in spiritual thought or practice. Of course every one is free to do and feel what they will. This is just a offering if you will, a possible inspiration.

I have always thought that the fear that the sun & warmth will not come back needs to be rethought. The fear existed in the ancestors with out the knowledge we have today that the earth turns around the sun, how the seasons occur and so forth. I feel that celebrating what each season of Mother Earth has and gives is better use of our time, care, love, and action within our spiritual lives. Longing for what is to come, is not living in the moment and honoring the now....
I have more thoughts on this but my baby is demanding attention. What I have posted so far is the meat if you will of the idea...

LadyWillow
December 16th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I'm curious, are there any special activites you gals participate in? Special recipes or something else you do outside of a ritual setting? I'm trying to think of something I can do but I'm coming up a bit short right now.

Mithrea
December 17th, 2007, 02:40 AM
I'm curious, are there any special activites you gals participate in? Special recipes or something else you do outside of a ritual setting? I'm trying to think of something I can do but I'm coming up a bit short right now.

Since I originally created this thread, I have decided to go to a fire/drum circle at the local UU. Above all, I believe that it's important for me to celebrate this time of year *with* people. Yule is very much about community for me.

LadyWillow
December 17th, 2007, 03:02 AM
That is very true Mithrea.

Philosophia
December 3rd, 2008, 04:11 AM
Bump!

Yule is coming up for the Northern Hemisphere!

Karri Morgan
December 3rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
I have been so busy with school, these past months, that I have hardly had time for anything else. So, I am totally gonna try and get more in tune with myself this Yule. Do some relaxing exercises. . A little meditation.. Some goddess rituals. And reconnect with my family.

Problem is, we celibrate Christmas at home, so.. I have personally an awful relationship with christmas. It makes me both stressed and agitated. So.. But! This year I am trying for a better combination. Like getting some of the younger ones in on the Yule traditions. I wish to burn a log this year. A Yule log. Just to see if I get a feeling for it. And perhaps read some goddess stories for my younger siblings. Mum does not care, it`s just stories to her anyways.

But it is always nice to hear what other people do!

RavenStars
December 4th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I've always been under the impression that the fears of deep winter were not about the return of the sun, but rather the fear that food supplies would not last through spring. Yule today doesn't hold the same fear me. But I read today that 1 in 8 Americans does not have enough to eat. I'm not sure how I'll incorporate this into my Yule observances since I can't really make a donation of food or service.