PDA

View Full Version : To Banondraig/All: Re: Earthship windows

Novembers River
December 6th, 2007, 10:55 AM
i'm actually on a bit of a tangent with this, but while i love the earthship water system, i'm not thrilled about the huge expanses of glass. so i was wondering if the heating system would work if you have curtains up. sorry i wasn't more clear. :)

Ah! My husband and I have talked about putting blinds up so that we can control when and how much sun comes in. The windows are an important piece of the earthship puzzle, though. The sun comes in to warm the stone floors and the geothermal effect of the earth around the back helps to keep the temp regulated inside. The stone floors hold the heat of the sun to keep the home warm. This, of course, is during winter when the sun is lower in the sky.

During the summer the sun is higher and with the angle of the windows and the overhang you'll get less sun inside so the house will stay cooler. This is also why we would do blinds to lessen the sun heat even more during the summer if needed.

So sure, curtains would work fine. You'd just want to open them at times during the winter to help heat your home. Of course you could also have fireplaces and wood stoves to warm the place up. The geothermal effect, though, would keep your temps pretty regulated year round.

Hope that helps!

banondraig
December 6th, 2007, 01:33 PM
it does, thanks!