PDA

View Full Version : Buffy and the Emmys

SpikesPet5150
June 28th, 2002, 09:35 PM
It looks like Buffy (and genius creator Joss Whedon) will get passed upon again this year at the Emmy's. Because of a human error, the insanely wonderful "Once More With Feeling" musical episode (completely written by Joss, words, lyrics, music, all of it) was "accidentally" left off the ballot. They sent out a postcard trying to rectify the matter... but according to insiders, it was WAY too confusing to even understand, therefor Joss's chances have severely been cut. You can read the whole story here...

http://www.tvguide.com/newsgossip/insider/020626a.asp

Sarah Michelle Gellar is still in the running for Best Actress and the show is still in the running for Best Drama Series... but Joss deserves that award for the episode. It was brilliant. As was "Hush" and "The Body"... which both, unfortunately, did not win a thing. *cries*
~Bree

Mithrea
June 28th, 2002, 11:14 PM
He deserves lots of awards for his writing period. *sighs*

The writer never gets the props :(

Xander67
June 28th, 2002, 11:18 PM
You know, I used to love that show, but ever scince the season primere in oct last year, ive been trying not to watch it,
I think Sara Michelle does deserves it!

I had discussed this with my DR this week even, because people told me my fears were unfounded, mabey they are, but this is the second time this happend, the first was the season finale that mirrored the Columbine High school shooting... i let that one slide, but the one in October where the tower colapsed it was freaky... My Dr said that he had noticed a few other "apparent connections" in telivision with current events, but he said it was just a coincidence.... *shrugs* so thats why I havent been keeping up with the show,

that said, would someone please tell me how silly that was so mabey I can watch it again
:rolleyes: :)

Mithrea
June 29th, 2002, 12:10 AM
I won't tell you it's silly Xander but as a writer I can tell you it is impossible to filter out what goes on around you when you are writing. You write from your experience and those events are part of the writers' experiences. Sometimes I don't even notice that stuff in my own work until someone points it out and it's like, "Oh yeah! OMG! I can't believe I did that!" I swear it's happened more than once. Also, writing is how we writers work out our feelings, axieties, fears, etc. The difference with writers of TV shows is that they are on everyday so everyone sees all of their personal emotions filtering through into their writing on a daily or weekly basis.

So if you think it's a coindence I would say no but if you quit watching because you think Whedon (or anyone else) is exploiting peoples personal tragedies, relax :) It's not intentional and it's not meant to harm. Plus I think you are over-analyzing a tad. I never even noticed the tower thing. Never thought about it being connected . . .

SpikesPet5150
June 29th, 2002, 02:40 AM
The thing with that, Xander.. is that BOTH of those incidences were written and filmed MONTHS before those things happened. Joss isn't exploiting anything. Yes, it's a big coincidence.. but thats all. They even postponed showing that episode (Ear Shot) because of the Columbine thing. But.. they wrote and filmed it MONTHS before the incident happened.
~Bree

Mithrea
June 29th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Hehe Bree even knows the episode names :D

Ain't she cute?

Xander67
June 29th, 2002, 09:59 AM
THat is what I was talking about Bree,

I dunno, I guess I was still kinda shocked about the 911 thing and then to see the ending of the season premiere a month later, KNOWING that it had been filmed months in advance,,
it kinda freaked me out *shrugs*

I like to write too, but My poetry notebook hasnt been touched scince the last mercury RX and the two eclipses, *shrugs* I just want my creativety back :)

I want to be able to watch buffy without being freaked out,
ugh sorry for being off topic and thank you both, Bree and Mithrea for your input,

I never got to see the Musical episode and i have the thing sitting in an Mpeg file on my Hard drive LOL (Thank you Morpheous)

OK so the question now would be: How can we make sure that they dont forget to put Buffy on the list for Nominee's again?
:)

Azure
June 29th, 2002, 02:48 PM
My comment on the Emmys would be that it isn't safe enough to win. Even the Sopranos only really deals with old, safe issues, they just do it in a glam, loud and eye catching way. In the long run, it will probably be a more telling comment on Buffy that it didn't win an Emmy.

Even though it's obviously fiction, it deals with issues both physical and metaphyical that are scary. There are no sacred cows in the Buffyverse - Joss takes on everything, and it isn't a black and white world. That's what really is cutting edge, and that's also why a show that deals in a very raw manner with everything isn't going to get an Emmy.

Xander67
June 29th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Wow!! Azure :eek:

another Visionary who can see with both eyes :)

SpikesPet5150
June 29th, 2002, 03:39 PM
I agree Azure... I just think it's sad that his brilliant writing is getting passed up once again. He's always taking what people say and creating amazing story lines... like... people were raving about his amazing dialogue. So he wrote Hush, the episode where no one talked. Then the WB said that the show was getting a bit too violent. So he wrote Where The Wild Things Are, the infamous Buffy/Riley hour long boink fest. Then someone said the show was getting too predictable. So he wrote The Body and created the single most painful hour of television I've ever seen (until The Gift, that is). He's a genius, pure and simple... and I think he deserves a helluva lot more recognition than he's getting.
As Joss goes... so goes my nation. ;)
~Bree

Xander67
June 29th, 2002, 05:33 PM
I just wanted to Thank you all for helping me deal with this silly
phobia, I apreaciate it

SpikesPet5150
June 29th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Oh please, Xander... I have a fear of the telephone... a fear of Buffy related things is *not* that bad. :)
~Bree

Azure
June 29th, 2002, 10:31 PM
I'm afraid of Dr. Seuss. Dates to childhood. Everyone is allowed one weird, irrational fear. . .
:)

SpikesPet5150
June 29th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Only one??? Damn.. what am I gonna do about my other ones??
~Bree

manstranger
June 29th, 2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by SpikesPet5150
The thing with that, Xander.. is that BOTH of those incidences were written and filmed MONTHS before those things happened. Joss isn't exploiting anything. Yes, it's a big coincidence.. but thats all. They even postponed showing that episode (Ear Shot) because of the Columbine thing. But.. they wrote and filmed it MONTHS before the incident happened.
~Bree

Yes.

The one with the shooting (actually, it was a suicide, and only attempted at that. The Lunch Lady put rat poison in the school food) was supposed to be aired on the day of the shooting, was it not? Or the day after.

SpikesPet5150
June 29th, 2002, 10:45 PM
I know they postponed Earshot.. and they also postponed Graduation Day (pt 2) because of Columbine.
~Bree

Xander67
June 29th, 2002, 11:08 PM
yes and it was the fact that they had filmed it months in advance and the same with the season opener in Oct last year that freaked me out, but this thread is helping me alot

Azure
June 30th, 2002, 01:18 PM
I bet this is the thread we should all say

Happy Birthday!!!!

To Spikespet on.

Mithrea
June 30th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Xander67
yes and it was the fact that they had filmed it months in advance and the same with the season opener in Oct last year that freaked me out, but this thread is helping me alot

Joss Whedon is an amazingly talented writer who I thank and idolize. But Xander, he is no prophet :D

SpikesPet5150
June 30th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Thanks Azure!! :)
~Bree

Xander67
June 30th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Mithrea

Joss Whedon is an amazingly talented writer who I thank and idolize. But Xander, he is no prophet :D

yeah I know , LOL but he is doing a heck of a job anyhow :T

Wyrdsister
July 1st, 2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by SpikesPet5150
Only one??? Damn.. what am I gonna do about my other ones?? You're just gonna have to share them! :T

Wyrdsister

Xander67
July 2nd, 2002, 09:13 PM
:D HEY!!!! ME watched it tonight without any wierd occurences,

ME BACK IN THE BUFFY CLUB!!!!!!!!! :boing:

I sat in my chair, with My remote in one hand and Dante (My stuffed Dragon) in my lap.

they showed the Buffy Musical episode here, this was the first I have seen it... I could hear the words and understand what they were saying,,,
YEAH!!! me not scared of a dumb ole tv show any more :p

and I liked the look on everyones faces when Buffy revealed that when they brought her back from the dead, she was in heaven, LOL and of course when Xander fessed up and admitted he summoned the lord of the dance, well hey, LOL Turned down by a demon no less LOL

but can You just immagine him in HEll wearing a dress :T

Azure
July 2nd, 2002, 09:44 PM
"I have a theory, it might be bunnies. . ."

The stupid lyrics are stuck in my head!

SpikesPet5150
July 2nd, 2002, 10:37 PM
Xander.. unfortunately for you.. you only got to see the "cut" version. The original version was about 15 minutes longer.. but they only showed it once on UPN. The original was MUCH better... less jumping from one thing to the next. I like Xander's little verse in the "I have a theory" one...

"I have a theory.. it could be witches.. which is ridiculous cause witches they were persecuted, Wicca good and love the earth and women power.. and I'll be over here." LOL

Every time I watch this ep, I can help but get up and dance and sing along. Bloody brilliant.

OH, and I also watched the ep tonight.. not on TV though. I handled the cutting of scenes until they got to Spikes song, and when they cut out a whole verse (my favorite verse, mind you) I just got mad and came up and watched it on my computer LOL I get angry when my Spike is cut.
~Bree

Xander67
July 3rd, 2002, 12:21 AM
I have it downloaded from Morpheus and I never watched it LOL

now I am curious ...

yes I also enjoyed Spikes solo,

and I also liked Buffy's song at the end where she faces the demon lord of the dance

I think i will watch the version i have downloaded LOL

SpikesPet5150
July 3rd, 2002, 12:23 AM
You totally should Xander.. it's MUCH MUCH better than the cut version. And Spikes song.. *drool*. God, that man is perfect. And I can't believe I'm moving to the city he lives in (in a few months anyways). What if I run into him? I'm gonna make an ass outta myself.
~Bree

Mithrea
July 3rd, 2002, 12:29 AM
Another vote for the long one! I taped it from TV and then took it to school and edited out the commercials :D

Xander67
July 3rd, 2002, 12:34 AM
thank you both! although I dont think i will be able to watch it tonight, *sighs*

refers to my advice with cat thread that I am creating

Azure
July 3rd, 2002, 10:06 AM
Bree you're moving to LA??? I hope to be before too long too! Unicorn Princess, who is sometimes here, says that James Marsters has a band you can see play live in LA pretty frequently.

SpikesPet5150
July 3rd, 2002, 04:31 PM
Yup yup.. his band (Ghost of the Robot) plays at 14 Below allll the time. He even goes up there by himself alot, just with a guitar. :)
~Bree

MistOfTheSea86
July 5th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Joss is an Amazing writer, there is absouletely no question about that. And whether or not he got or gets any awards doesn't change the fact that his writing has touched my heart in many ways. And of course all the other writers who helped Write Buffy.

Yes, I get mad when they cut out ANYTHING with Spike. Especially when he is naked! O.O Did I say that outloud? How inappropriate of me!:D

Azure
July 5th, 2002, 11:30 AM
No, there's nothing inappropriate about Spike wearing nothing but a strategically placed bit of sheet. . . *grins*

MistOfTheSea86
July 5th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Azure
No, there's nothing inappropriate about Spike wearing nothing but a strategically placed bit of sheet. . . *grins*

:eek: :D ;)

CzechWoods
December 1st, 2004, 04:45 PM
I WANT A BUFFY BOT
or SEASON 8

damnit i have season 13 running in my head

i wanna bufyyyyyyy :wah:

B*B (as in Buffy Bless)

Silver_FireStar
December 1st, 2004, 04:50 PM
I HATE buffy, I lost intrest in it when spike stopped being evil even though he had no soul. It kinda lost the plot when Joss whedon stopped working on it. I prefer Angel. Though that seemed to go haywire towards the end of the season

CzechWoods
December 1st, 2004, 04:50 PM
:D HEY!!!! ME watched it tonight without any wierd occurences,

ME BACK IN THE BUFFY CLUB!!!!!!!!! :boing:

I sat in my chair, with My remote in one hand and Dante (My stuffed Dragon) in my lap.

they showed the Buffy Musical episode here, this was the first I have seen it... I could hear the words and understand what they were saying,,,
YEAH!!! me not scared of a dumb ole tv show any more :p

and I liked the look on everyones faces when Buffy revealed that when they brought her back from the dead, she was in heaven, LOL and of course when Xander fessed up and admitted he summoned the lord of the dance, well hey, LOL Turned down by a demon no less LOL

but can You just immagine him in HEll wearing a dress :T

welcome back in the club of clubs

speaking of episodes and reruns. my mate and i have almost all dvds by now. we used to know almost all episodes by heart (in german, the translated versions) and now we are starting it all again, in the original version. it is a bit like getting a new run, a new spice to buffy

buffy originals

heeheee. must watch some more (ps: the musical ep is complete on dvd)

maroon_5
December 1st, 2004, 05:09 PM
joss deserves more then one!!! i think he deserves all of them!
i mean i grew up on buffy, i still watch re runs...(i have all the box sets)

m5

Miss Edith
December 1st, 2004, 06:00 PM
*Joins with the moping*

I think Buffy always gets overlooked because it's a little 'out there'. I mean when you watch episodes like 'Becoming' or 'Grave' or 'Restless' you KNOW that you're watching pure genius- you just do NOT usually get TV like that, yet it got little recognition, considering it's greatness.

SIGH.

BabyBird
December 1st, 2004, 06:01 PM
Just a quick notice. "To Shanshu in LA" is on right now!

Mithrea
December 1st, 2004, 06:05 PM
Let's not get mopey over something that happened 2 years ago folks (that's how old this thread is.) There is plenty of stuff to be mopey about that's going on today.

Keroberos
December 1st, 2004, 06:18 PM
she has a good point, I just finished watching all the episodes for the first time (yes I started after the show had already ended) Don't be sad that it's gone, be glad that it was so darned good in the first place. And as Holly says there's way bigger things to be worried about.

CzechWoods
December 1st, 2004, 06:22 PM
is this true ?

Xentor
December 1st, 2004, 06:30 PM
Admin mode

Moved to Entertainment and Sports

Keroberos
December 1st, 2004, 07:06 PM
well yeah, theres still a war on, people are having really bad money issues, y'know life.

CzechWoods
December 1st, 2004, 07:17 PM
i hear you.
and to all that BUFFY has been a wonderful counterprogram

it contained some spiritual truth you cannot find in any tv program or theater movie atm

besides.
there are more than the Iraq war atm, just as there have been quite a bunch of wars before, and will be therafter. unfortunately.

i still want buffy back

i still believe the whole story has not been told

it was never "just a tv show"

Buffy*Bless

CzechWoods
December 1st, 2004, 07:20 PM
Let's not get mopey over something that happened 2 years ago folks (that's how old this thread is.) There is plenty of stuff to be mopey about that's going on today.

i can be mopey about anything i like, see :wah:

WingedTigerChild
December 1st, 2004, 07:46 PM
I agree. There SO needs to be an "Angel" movie because Angel's ending pissed me off and the whole Buffy and Angel thing needs to be resolved.:hearthear The stories just aren't over folks...bah...BTVS deserves an emmy, dammit!

misty
December 1st, 2004, 09:07 PM
I admit it, I actually cried when the last episode ended.

CzechWoods
December 2nd, 2004, 09:02 AM

i still do

at times

:wah:

Silver_FireStar
December 3rd, 2004, 05:54 AM
Just a quick notice. "To Shanshu in LA" is on right now!

Ooooh I have that *cuddles boxsets* I still prefer the Angel with Doyle, he will always be one of my favourite charecters out of ALL Buffy and Angel charecters. They run in this order
Angel
Doyle
Faith
Cordelia

Silver_FireStar
December 3rd, 2004, 05:57 AM
I agree. There SO needs to be an "Angel" movie because Angel's ending pissed me off and the whole Buffy and Angel thing needs to be resolved.:hearthear The stories just aren't over folks...bah...BTVS deserves an emmy, dammit!

You're telling me, I mean the last line 'I quite fancy a dragon' and them all about to move into the battle?!?!?!?! WHO WINS? And Angel Vs a dragon? I wanna see. I wanna know how that battle finishes.

Silver_FireStar
December 3rd, 2004, 06:00 AM

Holly, what would you rather think about? The end of a tv show or war, torture, death, disease, famine etc? If you don't feel the same about the show good for you, go to a thread that matters to you, because this matters to us. Besides don't go telling people what to mope about and what not to. If we want to mope about this...which we obviously do...that's up to us.

CzechWoods
December 3rd, 2004, 09:57 AM
my favourites would be:
buffy
buffy bot
giles and
zander

Buffy Bless buffomanics !

CzechWoods
December 3rd, 2004, 10:01 AM
You're telling me, I mean the last line 'I quite fancy a dragon' and them all about to move into the battle?!?!?!?! WHO WINS? And Angel Vs a dragon? I wanna see. I wanna know how that battle finishes.

iwas not much into angel, but i guess its also becaus ethe translated versions we got on german tv were not very great. in retrospective having the dvd boxes now, i can definately say the original rocks big time, while the translation is ok, not more. well in comparison that would be. still the buffy series is/was the greatest show on tv ever. it outlines star trek, x-files, etc by far.

buffy rulzzzz

i lost track about the angel series, when Angel sang Oh Mandy.... hahahaha

btw, we had not the whole angel series broadcast in Germany yet, now they restarted it from somewhere in the middle, but then again, no big loss for me.

Thanks for your encouragement to mope over buffys end.

B*B as in Buffy Bless

Silver_FireStar
December 3rd, 2004, 10:26 AM
iwas not much into angel, but i guess its also becaus ethe translated versions we got on german tv were not very great. in retrospective having the dvd boxes now, i can definately say the original rocks big time, while the translation is ok, not more. well in comparison that would be. still the buffy series is/was the greatest show on tv ever. it outlines star trek, x-files, etc by far.

buffy rulzzzz

i lost track about the angel series, when Angel sang Oh Mandy.... hahahaha

btw, we had not the whole angel series broadcast in Germany yet, now they restarted it from somewhere in the middle, but then again, no big loss for me.

Thanks for your encouragement to mope over buffys end.

B*B as in Buffy Bless

So you missed the rendition of Mandy where Angel and his son...oh yes he and Darla have a son....sang Mandy together but changed the name mandy to Jasmine. That was really bad.They should get a new agreement and start both series and spin off again.

And you can mope over Buffy all you like cuz I sure aint gonna stop moping over Angel.

HAIL Joss Wheadon for giving us the best series and spin off ever...well one of the best
:hailmol:

BabyBird
December 4th, 2004, 05:09 PM
The Buffy ending was so freaking great that I jumped up and cheered.
"What are we gonna do now, Buffy?" Yay! What a way to end the series! It was perfect!

However, the Angel finale came way too soon. I cried when it was over, cause it was just too freaking soon! I didn't watch the WB for months (and only started again b/c of Jack and Bobby--which, ironically, is on Wednesdays at 9) I'm still p-ed at the WB about cancelling Angel.

::Inhales deeply. Exhales slowly.::

And as for the Buffy/Angel tragedy-fest...
Cordelia: Oh, Angel! I know that I'm a Slayer and you a vampire - and it would be impossible for us to be together, but!
Wes: Oh, I love you so much I almost forgot to brood!
Cordelia: And just because I sent you to hell that one time doesn't mean that we can't just be friends.
Wes: Kiss me.
Cordelia: Bite me!
Angel: You can both bite me.

Sinatra
December 5th, 2004, 12:31 AM
I still don't watch anything on WB. Then again, I never did before Angel was on there.

I'm not really as upset at the show itself ending, as much as I am that they cut Joss off - they didn't warn him, didn't give him enough time to finish up like he wanted to. He had to end the show within the space of a few episodes, instead of a larger arc.

aw, Doyle. I love Doyle. And Doyle loved Angel. So it's all good.

Silver_FireStar
December 5th, 2004, 05:47 PM
I still don't watch anything on WB. Then again, I never did before Angel was on there.

I'm not really as upset at the show itself ending, as much as I am that they cut Joss off - they didn't warn him, didn't give him enough time to finish up like he wanted to. He had to end the show within the space of a few episodes, instead of a larger arc.

aw, Doyle. I love Doyle. And Doyle loved Angel. So it's all good.

Joss now there's a guy with talent. I was devestated when Doyle left, but I suppose it was good timing because he died shortly after he left Angel.

I adored some of the story lines but I could tell when they started rushing Joss ecause the story got hazy, on both Buffy and Angel. I mean the whole Jasmine plot started off good and got deciededly annoying, same with the human Darla. Those dreams back in season two got right on my nerves.

Silver_FireStar
December 5th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Cordelia: Oh, Angel! I know that I'm a Slayer and you a vampire - and it would be impossible for us to be together, but!
Wes: Oh, I love you so much I almost forgot to brood!
Cordelia: And just because I sent you to hell that one time doesn't mean that we can't just be friends.
Wes: Kiss me.
Cordelia: Bite me!
Angel: You can both bite me.

Only one word.
CLASS

aerialla
December 8th, 2004, 10:59 PM
I can't even watch the last episode of Buffy from the moment Spike's amulet lights up. I saw it once and bawled my eyes out for twenty minutes and that's even with knowing he was going to Angel. Even thinking about it now I get teary. Bloody Hell. :wah: Buffy and Angel were the only good shows on TV. All my favorite shows are gone. Luckily they're on DVD, but its just not the same.

They really need to do the Angel movie or at least a spin off for Spike and Faith. I really want my Blondie Bear back.

CzechWoods
December 14th, 2004, 11:50 PM
thanks everyone for being so supportive to BTVS