PDA

View Full Version : Geminid meteor shower Thurs and Friday nights..Friday morning

cheddarsox
December 13th, 2007, 08:29 PM
It's supposed to be a good one.

keep looking up.

peggyelizabeth
December 13th, 2007, 08:56 PM
nice!
hopefully we're not too cloudy to see anything.

cheddarsox
December 14th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I was out for about an hour and saw about 70 or so. This morning was as close to the peak as we'll get in my area, but I'll probably do some viewing again tomorrow morning since I have to be up anyway...working at 5 AM.

The shower will continue through about the 17th.

I wasn't able to get out into the country and the sky was hazy but I still saw a large #, about 40 minutes into viewing the haze dematerialized, so that was nice.

Lunacie
December 14th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Definately too cloudy here, supposed to start snowing any minute. Poop.

Fireheart
December 15th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I saw one! We were driving back from a restaurant. I was disappointed I didn't see more though...that one was kinda awesome. So unexpected :)

Amber
December 16th, 2007, 07:19 AM
I've been looking out for them but haven't seen one yet, even when the sky was so beautifully clear last night. I'll keep looking. :)

cheddarsox
December 16th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I laid out again Sat morning...and saw a few, but then clouds gathered. It definitely was not like the peak...about one per minute, but they were up there.

Meteor watching is something one learns...I think. I've gotten the hang of it over the years. I know that it means getting up early, laying on the ground, waiting...waiting...and learning how to see as much of the sky as possible without focusing too hard on any one spot. And often the meteors come in bursts. Nothing for a long while, then suddenly three or four in succession.

People whom I tell about the showers often say...Yeah...I looked up...didn't see anything...I never do.

But really, the best way is to decide to do it right, find a place to lay, plan to take some time with it, etc. It pays off. Also, to learn when the showers are, where to look, what time, whether the moon will be a big interference or not. Getting the info beforehand on a good shower and getting set up right can make a big difference.

Craning your head back and looking up is not the best way, and often turns people off, and the fact that showers are best viewed after midnight and the best viewing is often right before dawn.

And I think it helps to be one of those people who, even if the shower isn't spectacular (but for newbies...seeing even 5 shooting stars on one night seems pretty amazing, when they hear I've seen hundreds a night, they are flabberghasted) just gets a kick out of the process. You have to appreciate the sense of adventure and spirit of the thing, then it's cool no matter what. Especially if you have a friend to share your sleeping bag with.

i don't, but I dream about it all the time.

RavenStars
December 17th, 2007, 01:03 AM
We're had clouds, clouds, clouds... and it's finally raining! Nice steady, cold, winter rain. So no stars for us.