PDA

View Full Version : What are you planning for your spring garden?

Novembers River
December 13th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Let us know!

Also do you have an in-ground garden or are you a patio/pot gardener?

Once we get into our house (hopefully Aprilish) I'd like to plant some veggies. We'll probably start out with a pot garden because the ground will not be ready for a garden yet. I'm thinking tomatoes for sure and maybe some type of squash.

alwaysfallingup
December 14th, 2007, 01:38 AM
I'm thinking that, when it's time to start planting, we'll be house hunting. So, we'll probably be planting in pots and such. I want to do tomatoes and herbs for sure...now I just need to see what else will do well in containers. If we somehow get moved early in the spring, I'd love to do a big garden with LOTS of vegetables. But, if not, I'll just plant in containers that I'll be able to move with us. :)

banondraig
December 14th, 2007, 11:54 AM
just about anything except cabbage, pumpkins, and melons does well in containers. in fact i have a windoxbox-shaped planter on my patio, and the parsley in it is still green even though we have had snow already.

i highly recommend this book (http://www.amazon.com/McGee-Stuckeys-Bountiful-Container-Vegetables/dp/0761116230/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197647537&sr=1-1) to anyone wanting to grow things in containers.

as for the original question, snow peas, lamb's lettuce, basil . . . . some other low-ish maintenance things for which i can get either my mom or my dad to lend me some ground. probably rue, tansy, and feverfew.

Tullip Troll
December 14th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I am planning that they finally come and finish landscaping so I can make a garden, dam it. I look like a crazy bmx track with all the little hills of fill. Now it's covered in snow and looks really wierd.

SilverClaw
December 17th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Due to my small back yard and not sure where I am going to be living next summer I am hoping to try tomatoes and my herbs (lavendar, mints ect)and things like strawberries again in posts and containers.

Tanya
December 17th, 2007, 04:41 AM
its high sunmer right now... and we have mild winter, so when winter spring comes I will be adding more trees to replace losses.. a walnut, a chestnut, 1 new hop plant, 1 new kiwi and a new climbing rose...

and I would REALLY like to get a fig to survive this spring..

otherwise... a few more meyer lemons and some more perennial flowers as I've got herbs covered.. and since my artichoke survived last winter.. about a dozen more, as I LOVE artichokes.

banondraig
December 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM
lemons! i'm so jealous . . .

aranarose
December 17th, 2007, 01:38 PM
This will be my first year gardening. I want tomatoes, because I LOVE tomatoes. Also going to grow several herbs, and maybe some carrots, beans, and a few other vegetables. Perhaps have a salad garden.

Tullip Troll
December 17th, 2007, 01:41 PM
ok Bano, why do want to plant a lemon, Ive wanted a lemon tree forever, and I have no idea why. For me thats means growing one indoors. I've always wondered where this huge desire has come from.

alwaysfallingup
December 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Have you seen the dwarf citrus trees offered in catalogues like Henry Field or Burpee? They have lemon, orange, tangerine, and more...and they're small enough to plant in containers (between 2-4 feet, I think) but bear full-sized fruit. I really want one of each when we move and have more room and light.