PDA

View Full Version : Meditation and colors

Greybird
December 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I've got a spot that I meditate. When I'm sitting there, I'm staring at a small alcove. I want to paint that alcove in a color conducive to general meditation so that I can set a candle in that alcove, possibly hang an image in the back from time to time, and so on.

I'm looking for some input, then, on colors that are generally conducive to meditation.

I'm not necessarily looking for colors to meditate on for healing, or colors associated with particular chakras, or other specific color meditations, just a general color for general meditation. To put it another way, if you were making a room just for meditation, where you might just be quieting your mind one day, healing or doing chakra work on another day, or whatever, what one color would you paint that room?

mtpathy
December 19th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I've got a spot that I meditate. When I'm sitting there, I'm staring at a small alcove. I want to paint that alcove in a color conducive to general meditation so that I can set a candle in that alcove, possibly hang an image in the back from time to time, and so on.

I'm looking for some input, then, on colors that are generally conducive to meditation.

I'm not necessarily looking for colors to meditate on for healing, or colors associated with particular chakras, or other specific color meditations, just a general color for general meditation. To put it another way, if you were making a room just for meditation, where you might just be quieting your mind one day, healing or doing chakra work on another day, or whatever, what one color would you paint that room?

if your wanting to use a room for chakra work i would say keep the room bright and keep the walls white, it makes it easier to "see" the colors and work easier.
now if your wanting to use the room for meditaiton i would say deep blues and purples, perhaps border with gold colors, these are atlest the colors i see when i meditate and they seem to "pull" me further into the meditation.

Greybird
December 20th, 2007, 12:40 AM
To clarify, it is only a small alcove, no bigger than a nightstand. Check the image below (or in my sig.) This is the bookcase that sits directly in front of me when I'm meditating (I close the door in the picture and put my back to it, sitting about a foot forward of where I stood to take the photo.) The area I'll be painting is the large central area that has the red bundle in it.

Teresa
December 20th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Pick a color that you find relaxing to you. It should be a personal a preference. Maybe take some construction board papers of different colors that appeal to you and try them out one by one until you feel you have the right color.

For me a dark purple or midnight blue or even sky blue and deep sea green work , those are my personal preferences. Everyone is tuned a different way and different people react to stimuli in different ways, it is not a uniform thing.

mtpathy
December 20th, 2007, 02:47 AM
To clarify, it is only a small alcove, no bigger than a nightstand. Check the image below (or in my sig.) This is the bookcase that sits directly in front of me when I'm meditating (I close the door in the picture and put my back to it, sitting about a foot forward of where I stood to take the photo.) The area I'll be painting is the large central area that has the red bundle in it.

ohh i see,i misunderstood what you were asking i thought you had a large-ish space to work with i didnt realise you were meaning a alter type space.

LadyCelt
December 20th, 2007, 04:14 AM
For chakras, rainbow colors (especially in the order of them) would be neat, even if just for one wall or an area to concetrate on would be neat. maybe even one with where they are on each part of the body could be neat too.

I'd think purple, like a lavender or light purple or sky blue or an ocean like colors would be neat for relaxing meditaiton. It would be tricky and more expensive to do, but scenery would be neat. Such as a cliff or bluff, the ocean or lake shore, a forest, or the sky; especially the night sky would be really neat and spiritual. Or, somethign to represent that "happy place" or what represents you at your fullest and most happy way to be would be neat.

cheddarsox
December 20th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I would go dove grey (very light grey)...or white and be able to use colored lights to change it for the seasons, moods or tones of life. But dove grey for just general meditation.

lamoka
December 20th, 2007, 08:44 AM
green.. I would go green.. associations are many, but I always use green for balance, healing, harmony, peace, etc... green..
maybe with a darker shade green swirl in the center.. representive of spirit, sun, circles, cycles and paths.. also gives the illusion of spiraling down into "whatever" you may want.. going deeper, deeper, kind of thing.. don't make it really contrasting just enough to see the difference and no bigger than the smallest picture you might want to hang so as not to distract from the item you hang in front of it.. don't want to see the edges poking out and around, very distracting..
aho

Greybird
December 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I would go dove grey (very light grey)...or white and be able to use colored lights to change it for the seasons, moods or tones of life. But dove grey for just general meditation.

While I doubt I have the means to pull it off right now, that is a really neat idea. Have it a light, neutral color with a matter finish, then put a light fixture into the bottom of the case that could project light into it. Change the color of the light depending on what I needed.

monsnoleedra
December 20th, 2007, 12:20 PM
One thing you might consider is getting a small string of christmas lights with the larger bulbs. I've seen them a number of times with 6 maybe 7 bulbs in them. What makes the short strings so nice is that the bulbs can be used all together or a few loosened so only a single bulb shines.

If you match them to what ever color scheme your looking at you can work on the whole line to prepare and then loosen different bulbs or combination of bulbs to take you to a more specific area. You can also put a blinker on them to use as an electricial drum beat.

I do not have one at this time but in the past I have used them aligned towards the chakra colors and then worked down the tree.

It's also nice for its takes little room, can be removed quickly if needed and used in almost any spot.

elfmage
January 7th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I'd personally use black, especially if you're focussing on a candle while meditating. But as others have said, it largely comes down to personal preference. Nice altar setup, by the way. :)

Aidron
January 7th, 2008, 05:56 AM
My personal advice is to go with a neutral color. Nothing too dark and nothing too light. This way you achieve maximum flexibility with minimal effort. Let's say you go with a creamy beige tone, but it's not an intense beige meaning every time you look at it you'll see "BROWN! BROWN! BROWN!" and instead just has a hint of beige. It is inviting and soothing.

Let's say you go with black. Now, if you're working on something with a more gentle touch, black may throw you off and be too harsh, possibly. If you go with stark white, that's going to overpower anything darker you are focusing on. Both are neutrals, but tend to be neutral extremes. Above all, my absolute preference would be gray as it is A.) my favorite color and B.) a balanced tone between two extremes.

Other colors such as purple or blue (both of which I associate with meditation) tend to be too singular in focus and allow for a lesser degree of flexibility and adaptation in my mind. Paint isn't permanent, but it is permanent enough that changing it every time you want to try something new can be costly and time consuming. Of course, if you have money to burn and don't mind testing the waters, to to speak, try several colors out and see what works best for you.

aluokaloo
January 7th, 2008, 06:44 PM
my advice just do the colors you like best.

Against The Tide
February 19th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Depending on your discipline, you may wish to hang a print of the wonderful Thangka paintings that Tibetian Bhuddists practice with. Here's one for you...

http://www.ethnicpaintings.com/images/buddha-painting-thanka.jpg

~Belladonna~
February 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM
If I were gonna paint a room for meditation I would paint it lilac or lavender, but that's just me :)

Aveline
February 20th, 2008, 01:47 AM
sounds like you got a trip to the "paint chip" section of your local store! :-)