PDA

View Full Version : Would you ship your kids off to a Swiss boarding school, why or why not?

PrincessKLS
December 23rd, 2007, 09:00 PM
I've heard of them and heard about the "well rounded" education of Swiss finishing schools; so what do you think?

sunny.spoone
December 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM
I was sent to boarding school when I was 15. Not a Swiss finishing school, but still an amazing educational experience. I am a huge supporter of boarding schools and highly recommend the experience. There are a lot of stigmas attached to the idea that aren't warrented (ie. you only go to boarding school as punishment, you only go to boarding school if you're rich, you only go to boarding school if your parents don't love you, etc.).

If the school I went to is still the same when I have my own children, and they want to go, I'd send them in a heartbeat. I'd send them anywhere they wanted to go, assuming I could afford it. Of all the former boarding students I've ever met, the only one who didn't like it was one at my boarding school who was previously at a military boarding school against her will.

Ceres
December 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Only if it was what my kids wanted more than anything else in the world and certainly not until the latter part of their teens.

PrincessKLS
December 23rd, 2007, 11:48 PM
I hope when I have kids I'll have the option and priveledge to send them anywhere I want.

Lyrien
December 24th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Would you ship your kids off to a Swiss boarding school, why or why not?

There is a moment in almost every day where I would LOVE to ship my kids off to some boarding school. But as a serious educational option, I would have to do some serious investigation on the school and make sure that it was what they needed.

Autumn
December 24th, 2007, 01:28 PM
There is a lot of difference between college prep boarding schools and the "finishing school" experience anyhow. Most of the latter are about preparing 'aristocratic' young people for the social circles they will move in and they are not especially academic in nature. They teach manners and poise and a certain social code that may or may not have relevance in todays world.

I can see a 'finishing school' summer camp but mostly it's for super rich young women who are not college material.

I'm not even going to touch the boarding schools that purport to treat conduct/psychiatric disorders because I don't know enough about them to go there.

Cat
December 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM
IF she were a teen who wanted to go AND could make a convincing argument for why she wanted to AND I researched it and decided that it could provide a safe and challenging education---maybe.

Brigid Rowan
December 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM
IF she were a teen who wanted to go AND could make a convincing argument for why she wanted to AND I researched it and decided that it could provide a safe and challenging education---maybe.

Well said.

Jolixte
December 25th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Sure, if I had kids and the money. Gods, please don't let me have kids though. :lol:

Evinmeer
December 25th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Sure, if I had kids and the money. Gods, please don't let me have kids though. :lol:

Ditto!

Against The Tide
December 26th, 2007, 07:54 AM
It's a character building experience aswel as an educational opportunity. I hope mine and monsters future children get all sorts of chances such as this - I mean we won't force the children to go if they are dead set against it. But any residential events - particularly those with educational objectives, can only help mould my children into the great people I know they will grow up to be.

Schools might be expensive and long term, I was thinking a few months as a foreign exchange student or something.

My sister went off the rails, getting arrested, under age drinking issues, substance abuse. She was always the spoilt one, my parents admitted it and it was a case of too little discipline too late, when they tried to correct this, my sister was too set in her ways. She was sent to 15,000 a year boarding school with the financial backing from all of the extended family. She studied from eight to late, participated in sports, even had horse riding lessons on campus. She only spent two terms there, but she came back a different person. Separated from her old friends who were bad influences she's really matured - so I say YES to boarding schools.