PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft. Q&A

PhoenixFire
December 28th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Has anyone here played it yet?
What do you think about this game?
From what I have read on their website it seems vastly simmilar to Everquest.

Any info you can share will be welcome. Fill free to ask questions as well. Im sure someone may post with an answer.
(Loved Everquest: Frontiers)

phoenixrising
December 28th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I played it, I loved it and loved it too much, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

PhoenixFire
December 28th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I was heavily addicted to PS2 Everquest: Frontiers befor my Playstation died on me. I was heart broken, it was horrible. Having to go cold turkey, :blushake: :awilly:.

phoenixrising
December 28th, 2007, 09:07 PM
See my bumped post.. its a real addiction. I lost a lot to that damn game.

PhoenixFire
December 28th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Do you need Broadband to play WoW? I can only get Dail-up out here with out paying an insanely high price.

phoenixrising
December 28th, 2007, 10:02 PM
You can, serves for leveling up, but once you start doing instances and god forbid raids its out of the question

Fire-scryer
December 29th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I'm a Lineage 2 and Dark Age of Camelot guy myself. I have never played either of the two games in question.

As far as internet connection, I really wouldn't recommend dial-up. Phoenix is right, it can work for leveling, but you need to be prepared to die. If you lag up in the middle of a fight with a mob, you'll just stand there getting beat down while you wait for eveything to catch up :(

Oh, and I don't know how WoW or EQ work as far as PvP is concerned, but if you PvP on dial-up you might as well get ready to be pwn'ed horribly. You really need to be fast on your feet in PvP and dial-up cannot do that for you.

mtpathy
December 29th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Has anyone here played it yet?
What do you think about this game?
From what I have read on their website it seems vastly simmilar to Everquest.

Any info you can share will be welcome. Fill free to ask questions as well. Im sure someone may post with an answer.
(Loved Everquest: Frontiers)

i downloaded the demo and played for almost a week, i really tried hard to like the game but i just couldnt do it. this games all about the stat grind and i guess Ultima Online has just ruined me on this.
i'm now quite happy playing my fisherman, or my assassine on UO oblivious to the stat grinding of the other MMO's.
imo Ultima Online might not have the best graphics but its so far ahead of the other mmo's in complexity and depth and its a actual world ran by the players...
if your ever in the world and you see playfulOcean on a boat ask to come aboard i'll take you treasure hunting, and if you ever see NoOne run like hell in the other direction cause your probably going to die.

Fire-scryer
December 29th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I was actually thinking about getting back into UO. It will suck starting over again though.

I loved that game. I just hated the trash talking trammies. They made me so mad sometimes. Talk all that crap, but you will never see them step one foot into a red moongate.

It upset me when they nerfed jacking too. I had to main pvp characters. A jacker and a nox mage. Everything started getting all crazy when they were nerfing things, adding new classes, new spells, special moves, etc. Granted, before I quit, my mage with a UBWS cleaver and bleed attacks, got pretty nasty for awhile there.

I would definitely remake my treasure hunter and tamer too. Great PvE fun for the times when I don't feel like clashing the metal with others.

Fire-scryer
December 29th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Also to add, I will agree that UO is far ahead of the others. Graphics are definitely not the best, but it's not the graphics that make the game. Just look at DAoC, cheesy graphics but I believe that DAoC has the best PvP system hands down.

UO was so much fun back in the day. I am not even going to tell you that all was lost when renaissance came out and they introduced trammel. Sure, give the non-pvp players a place to go. I'll agree with that. There are a lot of people in the fan base that like PvE and don't agree with the risk versus reward mentality all PvP'ers share.

The problem is that they started drawing more and more people to trammel with items and such and leaving Felucca behind in the dust. Ok, so then they brought out power scrolls. Whoopee! While powerscrolls were cool and they made us reds a whole crap load of money while we controlled the market, I think they should have fixed what was broken first... Factions.

Oh man, I loved factions! I was die hard Minax faction all the way. I wouldn't even think about getting into another faction no matter how much we were losing. But, it got broke and left by the wayside. Truly a shame. When I left the only thing factions were good for was lowering reg prices in a city so you could get over there and buy a ton of regs an sell them for a profit in Trammel.

See, now the more I talk about it the more I want to play again :hehehehe:

mtpathy
December 29th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I was actually thinking about getting back into UO. It will suck starting over again though.

I loved that game. I just hated the trash talking trammies. They made me so mad sometimes. Talk all that crap, but you will never see them step one foot into a red moongate.

It upset me when they nerfed jacking too. I had to main pvp characters. A jacker and a nox mage. Everything started getting all crazy when they were nerfing things, adding new classes, new spells, special moves, etc. Granted, before I quit, my mage with a UBWS cleaver and bleed attacks, got pretty nasty for awhile there.

I would definitely remake my treasure hunter and tamer too. Great PvE fun for the times when I don't feel like clashing the metal with others.

my NoOne char i actually made as a experimental "survivalist", someone that could live outside of town, alchemy for everything and a ninja so he could hide and stealth with the greatest of ease when i found myself in to much trouble "smoke bombs are great for getting monsters off your trail", but then he kept running into reds so i made him a poisoner, made lots of $, by that time i didnt need towns anymore so i decided to turn him into a red and become a serial killer, and would whole him up in is shanty to make his potions and write his poems to plant on his victims lol.
playfulOcean was made as a pvp'r that just never got out the door, i instead turned him into a mage/necro/fisherman, i used to be able to use him to both fish up treasures as well as hunt treasure.. havent done this in awhile though...
hell let me know if you decide to start maybe ill bring playfulOcean back out again Fire-Scryer.

Eurekian
December 29th, 2007, 02:02 AM
started out as alliance but i didn't know horde kicked ass, lol ...still play it but don't let it control my life

Eurekian
December 29th, 2007, 02:03 AM
warcraft rules

PhoenixFire
December 29th, 2007, 02:05 AM
:huh:...has no idea what "UO" is.:huh:

Fire-scryer
December 29th, 2007, 02:10 AM
UO is Ultima Online, awesome game ;) and pretty old. 97-98? something like that. I started in 99 and it was already on its first expansion called Second Age.

Fire-scryer
December 29th, 2007, 02:12 AM
my NoOne char i actually made as a experimental "survivalist", someone that could live outside of town, alchemy for everything and a ninja so he could hide and stealth with the greatest of ease when i found myself in to much trouble "smoke bombs are great for getting monsters off your trail", but then he kept running into reds so i made him a poisoner, made lots of $, by that time i didnt need towns anymore so i decided to turn him into a red and become a serial killer, and would whole him up in is shanty to make his potions and write his poems to plant on his victims lol.
playfulOcean was made as a pvp'r that just never got out the door, i instead turned him into a mage/necro/fisherman, i used to be able to use him to both fish up treasures as well as hunt treasure.. havent done this in awhile though...
hell let me know if you decide to start maybe ill bring playfulOcean back out again Fire-Scryer.

What server are you on? My characters are on LS. Unfortunately I don't have my main account anymore thanks to my ex, but I still have a 3-4 year one so at least I can still ride an ethereal. :hehehehe:

mtpathy
December 29th, 2007, 02:13 AM
UO is Ultima Online, awesome game ;) and pretty old. 97-98? something like that. I started in 99 and it was already on its first expansion called Second Age.

and now it has like what... 10 expansions and a new interface system on the way Empire Reborn, some people complain about it but from what ive played its a step up not down and a solid first foot forward in fixing some of the issues in the game.
i agree there are things that need to be fixed like factions, but theres still alot of solid gameplay and this game still has alot of life in it.

Zoey
December 29th, 2007, 02:14 AM
It's called World of Warcrack.

Some people who play are hard-core with many lvl 70's. I'm more of a casual player. I have one lvl 70, and another in the making, but it'll take me a while. The 70 I have now took me almost a year and a half to get her there.

And sometimes I think it's a chat room with a really cool interface.

PhoenixFire
December 29th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Can't say i've heard of that one.
Everquest Online Adventures, for Playstation 2 is the first, and so far only, paying online game I have ever played. I have dail-up and it did freeze from time to time, but over all it wasn't that bad. PvP was brought in with the Frontiers upgrade, I didn't have any problem with delay effect, but I only battled twice.

mtpathy
December 29th, 2007, 02:22 AM
What server are you on? My characters are on LS. Unfortunately I don't have my main account anymore thanks to my ex, but I still have a 3-4 year one so at least I can still ride an ethereal. :hehehehe:

i attempted to play WoW to take the place of UO, i havent played UO in almost a year not sure if i could get my char back even if i wanted too, but all i do is work and go to school so i was thinking of getting back into the game cause of not ever having any $.

im sure it wouldnt take long to build playfulOcean back up with all the macros that are out, im sure that Mage/Necro combo would still work as a solid treasure hunter.

Fire-scryer
December 29th, 2007, 02:27 AM
If the game mechanics are still relatively the same(I mean 8x8 and such, not exploits) I should be able to build my characters up in no time.

I know because it has been so long since I even logged in, my characters are deleted so i will have to start over. But hey, most of the fun in the game is building the character. Mixing and matching skills to make the best template you can for what you want to use him for.

mtpathy
December 29th, 2007, 02:33 AM
treasure hunting and fishing was imo the greatest part of the game.. screw this, this weekend im going to find my copy and start playing again..

PhoenixFire
December 29th, 2007, 02:52 AM
It's called World of Warcrack.

Some people who play are hard-core with many lvl 70's. I'm more of a casual player. I have one lvl 70, and another in the making, but it'll take me a while. The 70 I have now took me almost a year and a half to get her there.

And sometimes I think it's a chat room with a really cool interface.

Dont feal bad about taking your time. I had so many characters going in EQ that I never got any of them above lvl 32. In all I had over 30, (And every last one was female), though I deleted some of those that I didn't really use anymore.
Some of my faves were (And NO stealing my names!):

*Rattrap: Halfling Rogue.
*TigerWindcall: Dark Elf Wizard.
*WolfWindSong: Elf Druid.
*PhoenixSong: Dark Elf Necromancer.
*WHRobin: Western Human Mage.
*SangoDS: Western Human Ranger.
*SpiritFox: Barbarian Shaman.
*Biohazard: Western Human Monk.

...to name a few. I generally dont play Tank Classes. I dont like being the center of an attack. Yeah, im a coward. I like Casters the most, but ill play meelee like rogues, rangers & monks. Healers, only those that can transform into animals, Durid=Wolf, Shaman=Bear, in EQ. Rogues could transform too, with MASK, but into other races, not animals. Ports are handy with the Casters.

They had seasonal events too, like a snow man would ask you to get him some water then he'd give you a bunch of snow balls that could be thrown at other player. No damage, but it was fun.

Frell I miss it so much :sadman:

firefairy86
December 29th, 2007, 03:17 AM
My boyfriend used to play WoW alot. If he wasn't working or sleeping he was on the computer. I had to remind him that people who played like him didn't have girlfriends and if he kept it up he would have to join that group.

His boss plays WoW all day and he is in his mid-thirties and lives with his grandma.

So, yeah, if you play that game too much, remember that it's not reality and all that work doesn't really accomplish anything.

Lyrien
December 29th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I played WoW for a year during alpha/beta and quit only a few months after release. I'm kind of a loner in games and it was impossible to level solo past the 50's. I played DAoC for a couple of years and learned my addiction lesson there, so it wasn't such an issue with WoW. I've been playing EQ2 for the past couple of years, it's fun and has a much better game play than WoW, in my opinion. But WoW is by far a much prettier game.

I played DAoC with a dial up connection just fine, but that is a different game and I could not RvR. There is no way you could play WoW (or EQ2) in a raid on dial up, don't even try.

Jolixte
December 29th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I played EQ and WoW... and was impressed by neither. I'm just not one for Diku-MUD based MMOs, though WoW did do a slightly better job in providing other things to do so it isn't just kill and level.

PhoenixFire
December 30th, 2007, 01:13 AM
I played WoW for a year during alpha/beta and quit only a few months after release. I'm kind of a loner in games and it was impossible to level solo past the 50's. I played DAoC for a couple of years and learned my addiction lesson there, so it wasn't such an issue with WoW. I've been playing EQ2 for the past couple of years, it's fun and has a much better game play than WoW, in my opinion. But WoW is by far a much prettier game.

I played DAoC with a dial up connection just fine, but that is a different game and I could not RvR. There is no way you could play WoW (or EQ2) in a raid on dial up, don't even try.

I know what you mean. Im not really a social gamer my self and would like to have been able to do more on my own, but the type of characters I favored didn't really give me that option.

Why do they always have to make the casters and healers so crapy n week in defense? I mean come on, if I were a real wizard or mage in that world I totaly fry zombie, umm... butt. It isn't right. I'd still stand back and attack from a distance though, to be on the safe side. lol.

Yeah, total coward... ({sigh})

BlueSage
December 30th, 2007, 01:18 AM
i do two things with WoW now. I first leveled all the way to 60. LONG and un-adventrous i thought. many mind-numbing quests. Then paid to get my account to 70. still that troll hunter though making leathers for AH. I've found my medium. Buy online gold: make leather working recipes for ah: sell online gold. Rinse and repeat. On my server i make about $14 daily which ain't too bad. You buy online gold Instantaneous, you buy AH materials instantaneous you craft (takes a little while.) you go to a mailbox. Get your earnings from night before. You sell whatever gold you make. Rinse and repeat and you make a little income daily with WoW :)

Fire-scryer
December 30th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Why do they always have to make the casters and healers so crapy n week in defense? I mean come on, if I were a real wizard or mage in that world I totaly fry zombie, umm... butt. It isn't right. I'd still stand back and attack from a distance though, to be on the safe side. lol.

Because Mages are frikken cannons. I always play Mages. Eventually I will dabble with a melee character, but my mains are always spellcasters. Why? Because I am good at it and it fits my play style. Mage spells pack a serious punch and we can drop people in seconds from a distance rather than hack away at them face to face.

<rant> Now, on the surface, it would seem logical to make them weak in physical defense. You have to balance it out right? Then why in the hell do they have items (not WoW, I don't know how they do their MDef system) that increase a char's MDef to the point where my spells do as much as a sword slash or something along those lines??

Now you have taken all the power away from me, the mage, and made me into a nuisence. Not only am I killed easily, but I can barely defend myself since all my spells are now half damage due to my opponents crazy high MDef. However, I still have an incredibly low PDef because I am in cloth armour!!! </rant>

Lyrien
December 30th, 2007, 02:20 AM
I know what you mean. Im not really a social gamer my self and would like to have been able to do more on my own, but the type of characters I favored didn't really give me that option.

I hear that. With wow I played a priest and druid during the tests, but a mage live. The mage was pretty good to solo with....until the mob caught up with you. In DAoC I was a bard, completely useless unless in a group. And with EQ2 I'm a Fury. It works well though, hubby is a necro and we work well in a 2 man group. I just love the healer hybrid classes.

i do two things with WoW now. I first leveled all the way to 60. LONG and un-adventrous i thought. many mind-numbing quests. Then paid to get my account to 70. still that troll hunter though making leathers for AH. I've found my medium. Buy online gold: make leather working recipes for ah: sell online gold. Rinse and repeat. On my server i make about $14 daily which ain't too bad. You buy online gold Instantaneous, you buy AH materials instantaneous you craft (takes a little while.) you go to a mailbox. Get your earnings from night before. You sell whatever gold you make. Rinse and repeat and you make a little income daily with WoW :)

People like you make me mad. Very, very mad.

BlueSage
December 30th, 2007, 02:30 AM
why bell?

Fire-scryer
December 30th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I would imagine because you are an ebayer and ebayers are not looked upon kindly by a lot of people.

Whats funny though, is a lot of people that complain about ebayer's ebay themselves lol.

*disclaimer I am not saying anyone ebay's just stating that some that complain do it as well *

BlueSage
December 30th, 2007, 02:41 AM
no....i'm not an ebayer. i buy gold through (prob chinese) gold sites. i craft recipes that net gold. i then sell that gold back to the chinese gold sites for a profit....simple "turn key investment."

Fire-scryer
December 30th, 2007, 02:42 AM
But you buy gold, and that's what I'm talking about.

I'm not knocking what you do man, it's your money and you can do what you please. I was merely saying thats probably why she's mad ;)

BlueSage
December 30th, 2007, 02:44 AM
but i buy gold TO RETURN A PROFIT...why is that bad...i fail to see the logic. :( there is a million ways in this world to make cash....for goodness sake.

Fire-scryer
December 30th, 2007, 02:45 AM
I dunno. I just know a lot of people complain about it in game.

I'm to cynical to trust someone to give them money and hope they log in and give it to me in game.

BlueSage
December 30th, 2007, 02:45 AM
ah hahaha...i'm getting heated up from old past debates concerning a "how to make wow gold" blog i made earlier...forgive me for that. i was applying those old arguments to this discussion and just realized it. :( lol.................

Fire-scryer
December 30th, 2007, 02:48 AM
It's a big debate. Personally, you pay to play the game. You play it how you want to.

I have PK characters in game and people frown on that too. Saying I should give people the chance to play and how wrong I am for indiscriminately killing them.

Well, risk vs reward I say.

BlueSage
December 30th, 2007, 02:51 AM
amen brother! lol....

Lyrien
December 30th, 2007, 11:11 AM
why bell?

Really? You have no idea why? This is the first time you've ever encountered anyone that dislikes what you do? I doubt it.

It aggravates me when people buy ebay gold. It encourages the little rude chinese campers that bitch you out when you need to finish a quest or harvest some component anywhere near where they are gold farming. I don't know how bad it is now, but when I was playing WoW it was out of control. I know with EQ2 and DAoC, since I played a bard/fury and usually only play with one other person in a group; people are shocked that I'm not a bot. Gold farming is that prevalent.

It aggravates me because you are causing an economic imbalance. Creating an unfairly difficult economic gameplay for those that do follow the ToS.

These are games...entertainment...and you want to make a job out of it? A crappy paying 14 dollar per day job?

Fire-scryer,
I've never purchased or sold gold on ebay, honestly, I've never known anyone who has. Most people I've played with or been in guilds with frown on the practice. PK toons, while annoying, are completely within the games ToS; black market gold isn't.

Fire-scryer
December 30th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Fire-scryer,
I've never purchased or sold gold on ebay, honestly, I've never known anyone who has. Most people I've played with or been in guilds with frown on the practice. PK toons, while annoying, are completely within the games ToS; black market gold isn't.

I have never ebay'ed. Though I know people who have. They always have the best gear, the twinked out toons, even when said gear is ridiculously high priced. I have always preferred to work for what I have.

As far as PK'ing is concerned, it is annoying. However, take Lineage 2 for example. Say I PK someone who has a high priced weapon. I got the jump and I got the kill. Said person drops that high priced weapon. I always, I repeat, always give it back. I am not the kind of person who kills and robs there is no need for that. Kill to kill. But, there is no sport in killing newbies. Where is the fun in one shotting someone?

Then, on the other hand, I have also been known to hang around newbie towns and help out the little folk. Gear them up, tell them how/where to hunt, you get the gist.

I just prefer to play the game in all aspects is all.

BlueSage
December 30th, 2007, 11:59 AM
and for me crafting the leather working recipes is fun. heck i even took up enchanting last night to hopefully raise the bar and bring in a few more bucks per night lol.

Fire-scryer
December 30th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Man, crafting is such a snooze. I would rather jab my eyes with a fork then sit there leveling a crafter. Alas, I do it anyway because I like to be self sufficient :whatgives:

Lyrien
December 30th, 2007, 12:35 PM
EQ2 has a pretty cool crafting system, you actually have to interact with it to make something. DAoC crafting was a joke. I have a cordless keyboard and would take it to the kitchen and hit a button every once in a while never looking at the screen. I remember very little about the WoW crafting other than it was brainless as well.

I played L2 VERY briefly in some foreign beta. I didn't like it enough to play live. The movement bothered me and I was a dark elf or something and ran all stupid like. LOL It also didn't help that I couldn't read the quest info since it was in Korean or something.

Childof_theMorrigan
December 30th, 2007, 12:37 PM
i just started playing WoW 2 days ago...

am quite enjoying it but there's so much to learn and so much going on that I can only handle it for a couple hours at a time and then my brain needs a rest. :)

Fire-scryer
December 30th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I played L2 VERY briefly in some foreign beta. I didn't like it enough to play live. The movement bothered me and I was a dark elf or something and ran all stupid like. LOL It also didn't help that I couldn't read the quest info since it was in Korean or something.

I have a Dark Elf on L2. They do run crazy. He is all bent over while he runs LOL

The movement is weird. I have never played a game where I have to use the arrow keys to move. Granted, I can point and click on the ground, but I can't change directions fast enough and sometimes I am looking with the mouse while running.

DAoC crafting is easy. Just time consuming and expensive. My shadowblade has 900 something alchemy but I just dont have the money or the drive to get it to 1000. Besides, I can make all the poisons and pots I need at that level ;)

Lyrien
December 30th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I have a Dark Elf on L2. They do run crazy. He is all bent over while he runs LOL

The movement is weird. I have never played a game where I have to use the arrow keys to move. Granted, I can point and click on the ground, but I can't change directions fast enough and sometimes I am looking with the mouse while running.
Ya, I move with my mouse; my friends laugh. I didn't like the point and click movement and using the keyboard for movement jacked me up too much. There were FAR too many inappropriate, yet hilarious, jokes about that run position. I think that was the only redeeming quality to that char.

DAoC crafting is easy. Just time consuming and expensive. My shadowblade has 900 something alchemy but I just dont have the money or the drive to get it to 1000. Besides, I can make all the poisons and pots I need at that level ;)
One of our guildies had metalworking or something on their toon maxed out. We'd borrow her char and take things down to the base metal and sell hinges to support my alchemy habit. I had alchemy maxxed out, but never did much with it other then make pots for guildies.

PhoenixFire
December 31st, 2007, 05:42 PM
I like the way the ogres move in EQ, they look like they are running in slowmo, its funny.

As for the gold topic, not really sure what your talking about, but I haven't played yet so...
I always just went out hunting, on my own or in a group, and got money by selling off whatever items we raided from the targets and didn't or couldn't use. It was a little slow, but payed off well if you were LvLing with a group at the same time. Gems were a very hot item, you had to take turns collecting them in group to be fare. Crafters would pay a bundle to buy them off you. You just had to find the right ones to sell to. Also Id transfer money from one character who had some to spare to another who needed more. But you need a trustworthy player to hold it for you while you switch from one char to the other. I only did it when someone would come up to me first and ask if id hold for them. I guess I had a trustworthy aire about me, because someone always seemed to be asking if i'd hold. That or I didn't want to get ban by the adds for bad conduct.

Storm Moon
January 1st, 2008, 04:06 AM
I just got into WoW back in the summer, but I haven't renewed my account since it expired a month ago. all in all, i like it. so far i have 3 characters that i really like on shu'halo. None are over level 26 though ><

stricken
January 6th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Im Just getting back into wow from the days of old.

I have a level 60 hunter and 62 preist, horde, on gorefeind.

And working on some alliance characters on antonidas.

Labrynth
January 6th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Been playing since wow went retail, got my Priest to 70 at burning crusade, and kinda got bored with raiding (had been doing it a long time) so left for 8 months. Just recently came back and slowly leveling all my 60 alts lol.
On Uther Server ^^

Stormbeard
January 20th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Lumo

Moonglade server

Horde.

LOOK ME UP