View Full Version : Trying to get the hand of this "ink" stuff!

December 29th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I figured I should learn to use this stuff they call "ink," and fortunately my mom gave me a bottle of it and a pen a few years ago, so I tried inking over the printouts of some of my sketches today.

Any comments? Suggestions?

December 30th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Do you mean Calligraphy type pens with ink? The types with different nibs? If so I say practice practice and more practice. I started using ink and such when I was in grade 4 and again in high school and I have been using it on off and on since. It takes patience and to avoid smudges I suggest using a paper towel or piece of paper to rest your arm on so it does not get on your work in spots you do not want it to be.

And as for your work I think you did pretty good for your first try.

Also if you want to see what types of things you can do with ink let me know and I will see what pieces of mine I can find.

December 30th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I don't know how many times I tried ink. Even back when I could draw I couldn't get the knack. I like your first one as a sketch. It gets the dangerous, fleeting moment.

December 31st, 2007, 09:43 AM
When using ink, I prefer the free-flowing kind in a bottle or a fountain pen.

When drawing recognisable shapes in ink, mistakes can be quite frustrating. Practice makes perfect, so don't give up after the first few mistakes. I find practicing with pencil no easier than practicing with pen, even though it's cheaper in the long run.

December 31st, 2007, 05:59 PM
I love working with ink and quill tips. It's a different type of challenge. I would explore the different tips out there that are available.
Good job!

January 2nd, 2008, 02:10 AM
Also if you want to see what types of things you can do with ink let me know and I will see what pieces of mine I can find.
Sure, if you don't mind! :)

February 25th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Finally I found the thread again !!!! Here is two of the ink ones I have done, the thrid one I had I decided not to put up since I cannot get a good picture of it.

Pic 1 (http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/HymniaRaven/100_5998AbPOSTPB.jpg)

Pic 2 (http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/HymniaRaven/100_6061POSTB.jpg)
The picture 2 is the first time I got to use ink since grade 4 and this was the first time it was for art work. The Nibs and different drawing techniques was what we were suppose to use on our picture, which was drawn off of a picture slide.

I have more ink stuff in the works but I thought I would show you those two first ...

Have you worked any more with the ink?