PDA

View Full Version : What role does wealth play in your life?

TaylorE
January 2nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Hi all,

I'm really interested in wealth magic. Over the last year and change I've been doing a lot of work in my own life to learn about finances and how to integrate mindful awareness of them into my spiritual life.

Have any of you done similar work and if so what did you do?

I started with looking at my internal attitudes about money and deconditioning them. For example, I realized part of me believed that I had to struggle before I could succeed. I've been deprogramming that particualr belief and I'm finding a lot less struggle in my life.

I've also created a wealth servitor which I thank everytime I bring home.

look forward to hearing from you.

Darbla
January 5th, 2008, 12:40 AM
A practitioner who I respect once said: "I got into the Occult for two things: Money and Power. That's it. I don't pretend to have some altruistic hippy notion of peace, love and goodness...". And I like that attitude. That's gutsy and to the point. A man after my own heart. :D

Being broke sucks and I'm all for using magic(k) to augment your bank account and live the proverbial good life if it doesn't corrupt you. And I understand everyone's definition of corrupt can be different, so take from that statement what you will.

To be blatantly honest.................. if I really had faith in magic(k), or my magickal abilities, then I'd be casting for more wealth. But so far I haven't done that because I haven't believed it would really be fruitful. Or maybe I would feel silly casting for it, or if anyone discovered I was doing so. Or maybe I feel my energies are better expended toward the mundane full-time job and 2 part-time jobs I have. :foh:

I could possibly be struggling with getting over internal attitudes too, as you mentioned. I don't know, but I need to finish my analyzing and get off my duff and DO something.

Darbla

Chaos Hawk
January 5th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I know what you're saying. It just tends to feel odd performing any kind of magic for material gain. Even though I can't pin point why exactly.

I have tried one herbal / water spell to bring more money into my life. Things have improved for me since then, but I work full time and try not to spend a lot. I guess you could say that it may have made more oppertunities come up in my life. But who's to say if it wouldn't have happened anyway.

~Elise~
January 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I'm a HUGE fan of money. I've done spells in the past, as has Rick. We do pretty well with them. (it's that time again)

I'm working on my attitude of 'lack' and changing that. Also working on getting things from the past cleaned up and gone.

I'm interested in hearing more about your servitor.

Elise

plumedsnake
January 5th, 2008, 05:27 PM
This is interesting and something that I've thought about since young. The thing is why does anyone want money and power in the first place. I would presume it was to get Peace, Love, and generally ol' round Goodness. To stop at money and power is therefore superficial and a superficiality that can be very destructive as we have seen time and time again.
You might want money so that you can pay your bills and stuff and be relieved of the stress of having to pay them. In other words you are looking for Peace. However it would be dangerous to see Money as the key to your problem. What you actually want is peace of mind.
Some people want money so that they can be popular with the ladies. What they actually want is Love but they have formed the dangerous neurosis that Money will get them that Love. This is rarely true. If at all true. Money will not get you neither Peace nor Love and these are amongst the real reasons that anyone wants the stuff. To tell yourself otherwise is to have your mind beclouded by neurosis.

I personally have experienced money and influence (relative to others around me, that's another thing: Wealth is always relative) and I can tell you that it is not a pleasant experience.
the Jealousy of envious people that think you do not deserve what you have can eat you up like a demon.

In Ifa divination when the onset of wealth is predicted, the diviner then asks: Is is cool money or is it Hot money? If the money is cool then that's good, but if it is hot then further steps must be taken to protect yourself when the money comes.

When the Money neurosis becomes a part of your system it's hard to weed out. The truth is that the money does not soothe your sense of lack however your system has been programmed to belief that the sense of lack will be soothed by a few more grand in the coffers. So accumulating wealth becomes compulsive behaviour like scratching that doesn't quite get to where the itch is. Perhaps just a bit more, you think, and I'll feel better. No! You'll never feel better.

Shakespeare put it best in Othello:

Poor and content is rich, and rich enough,
But Riches fineless (without end) is as poor as winter
To him that ever fears he shall be poor.

aranarose
January 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I am not money driven, but I do want enough to be comfortable, not just survive as I've done in the past. My definition of comfort is having enough money to pay my bills and buy books and Tarot decks :) You know, the necessities of life!

I have a money box. It's a box that I've decorated with symbols of wealth: lots of green stuff, four leaf clovers, various herbs associated with money, frogs, fertility symbols (money fertility ;) ) EVERY time I get paid for ANYTHING at all, whether it's from a regular job, doing readings, anything, I put a portion of it in the money box. This serves two purposes: to thank the spirits for blessing me with more money, and to save, save, save.

PrincessKLS
January 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM
The older I get, the more money becomes more important to me. However I do have more realistic goals. Like I don't expect to become a millionaire or gazillionaire by the time I'm 25 or 30. But I do expect to one day (hopefully by the time I'm 30) to have an income of $10,000 or more by the time I'm 30. More like between $10,000-120,000 a year.

And that is if I go outside of the box and more or something other than clerical or most desk jobs. I know secretaries really don't make a lot in my county. They make a bit more than minimum wage and that's it.

It became more important to me because I realized I'm an adult, I can't have my not-so-wealthy parents supporting me my whole life.

PrincessKLS
January 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM
This is interesting and something that I've thought about since young. The thing is why does anyone want money and power in the first place. I would presume it was to get Peace, Love, and generally ol' round Goodness. To stop at money and power is therefore superficial and a superficiality that can be very destructive as we have seen time and time again.
You might want money so that you can pay your bills and stuff and be relieved of the stress of having to pay them. In other words you are looking for Peace. However it would be dangerous to see Money as the key to your problem. What you actually want is peace of mind.
Some people want money so that they can be popular with the ladies. What they actually want is Love but they have formed the dangerous neurosis that Money will get them that Love. This is rarely true. If at all true. Money will not get you neither Peace nor Love and these are amongst the real reasons that anyone wants the stuff. To tell yourself otherwise is to have your mind beclouded by neurosis.

I personally have experienced money and influence (relative to others around me, that's another thing: Wealth is always relative) and I can tell you that it is not a pleasant experience.
the Jealousy of envious people that think you do not deserve what you have can eat you up like a demon.

In Ifa divination when the onset of wealth is predicted, the diviner then asks: Is is cool money or is it Hot money? If the money is cool then that's good, but if it is hot then further steps must be taken to protect yourself when the money comes.

When the Money neurosis becomes a part of your system it's hard to weed out. The truth is that the money does not soothe your sense of lack however your system has been programmed to belief that the sense of lack will be soothed by a few more grand in the coffers. So accumulating wealth becomes compulsive behaviour like scratching that doesn't quite get to where the itch is. Perhaps just a bit more, you think, and I'll feel better. No! You'll never feel better.

I find that in my own family just getting a few more dollars or material things makes another one envious.

PrincessKLS
January 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM

I find that in my own family just getting a few more dollars or material things makes another one envious.

TaylorE
January 9th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Wow...lots of responses!

I think the comment on envy is interesting. It actually speaks a lot of the culture of scarcity that people live in. We're taught to focus on what we don't have, instead of celebrating what we do have. I think if people do celebrate what they do have, they are accordingly sending out energy for more, instead of sending out scarcity energy.

I'm curious about the money box...do you deposit the money after a certain point? I also have a money box. I mainly put in spare change to it, by I then thank my wealth servitor.

I feel that when we can recognize out internal attitudes about wealth, we begin to recognize that wealth doesn't just manifest as money, though that's one form of it. We can learn that there can be enough when in fact we know how to appreciate wealth for what it allows us to do.

My wealth servitor is based on the principle of abundance and attraction. I thank it every time I bring money home, using my thanks as a form of energy to promote it to want to go out and attract more wealth. It does this by attracting money, but also attracting situations in my life which make me feel wealthy.

Tanya
January 9th, 2008, 01:03 AM
my approach has been a mindlfulness about NEED verses WANT

also the idea of ENOUGH.

When I made 16,00o a year I found I had ' ENOUGH' When 'enough' was basic health insurance, food and shelter.... I didn't always have a car that worked (but I got a lot of exercise because of the lack!), I had a plot in a community garden to grow food, was vegetarian, and a socializing night meant a potluck with friends... and it was ENOUGH....

I didn't get into witchcraft for money or power... I got into it be be intune with the world, and in the context of the world, being warm, well fed and healthy is more than enough... more is nice... but ruining your happiness for it is foolish.

~Elise~
January 9th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Wow...lots of responses!

I feel that when we can recognize out internal attitudes about wealth, we begin to recognize that wealth doesn't just manifest as money, though that's one form of it. We can learn that there can be enough when in fact we know how to appreciate wealth for what it allows us to do.

My wealth servitor is based on the principle of abundance and attraction. I thank it every time I bring money home, using my thanks as a form of energy to promote it to want to go out and attract more wealth. It does this by attracting money, but also attracting situations in my life which make me feel wealthy.

I have a very real life lesson in this...I was asked about a month ago to FEEL what wealth was. and when I got that feeling...I was asked what does that feel like...my answer was books. I was always wishing to have enough to be able to go buy a book when I wanted to.
Lo and behold that same weekend I was given 3 big tubs of books AND another box of books as well.
I saw the connection immediately! :hahugh:

plumedsnake
January 9th, 2008, 06:43 AM
. . . so we want money because it can get us what we want. But perhaps we can get what we want without money a lot of the time. And also perhaps sometimes money (no matter how much) cannot get us that thing that we want.

That's why I think that the fixation on money is erroneous.

Another good meditation is to think, what would I do if I had 5million dollars. Once you've got the picture of what you'd do. say for instance, travel to South America, then think what is actually stopping you from doing that now. And is it such an obstacle as you make out. Perhaps an attitude is all you need to up and get your ass to South America.

Brigid Rowan
January 9th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Just a thought....being without money causes worry, and worry creates an energy drain. Lets face it, worry over paying the bills and affording food is NOT anything but a drain on your emotional resources. Having enough money means having MORE energy for things of the spirit/magic portion of your life. Obviously. As Tanya so nicely put it, the concept of enough is really important.

So I dont think its wrong to ask for help monitarily in order to free up time and energy to put into your spiritual development. This assumes of course you arent fiscally irresponsible, and that you are a good steward over that which you are gifted.

PrincessKLS
January 9th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Hmmm, that's an interesting thought. And heck if you ask your gods for $1,000,000 exactly. Well if you get it at least you can pay off bills, other debts, and maybe have some left over for fun stuff.

plumedsnake
January 9th, 2008, 04:41 PM
The only thing is that once you've got money you then have to worry about how to spend it.

Of course you can't just spend it all on consumer goods, you've got to invest some of it. But where do you invest. How are you sure that where you put your money is a good investment.

Then of course it would be nice to help some people in your family and friends. But which ones? How do you prioritise.

Then there's the guilty feelings. What about the starving people in the world? Plus, do you really deserver all this money, when others work so much harder than you.

In order to really compare which is more worrisome having money or not, you have to have had both. In my opinion the life of the rich is a hell of a lot more stressful.

Tanya
January 9th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I have a very real life lesson in this...I was asked about a month ago to FEEL what wealth was. and when I got that feeling...I was asked what does that feel like...my answer was books. I was always wishing to have enough to be able to go buy a book when I wanted to.
Lo and behold that same weekend I was given 3 big tubs of books AND another box of books as well.
I saw the connection immediately! :hahugh:

LOL I love that... here's really sad... I feel wealthy when there's a case of diet coke, and 6 pack of beer in the fridge and the liquor cabinet is well stocked.... For me poor means not being able to offer a guest a drink....

(this must be my inner Russian speaking... I feel rich if I can offer a shot of vodka... even if its in a cipped tea cup.)

as for books, rich or poor you'll see me bying armloads of em at yard sales... hehehehe... boooks are non-negotiables.... occasionally now I have new books... which IS weird for me.

Brigid Rowan
January 9th, 2008, 06:10 PM
For me rich is a fully stocked pantry, fridge, plenty of firewood.... and ..of all things...a full linen closet. Being able to heap blankets on the kids beds when its going to be a chilly night, being able to cook a warm, filling, yummy dinner while a fire blazes in the hearth...these things give me a feeling of peace and happiness. And money in the bank is good too!

LOL...

Against The Tide
January 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I like money though I wish I could be free of it at times, I am always looking to be smarter with my money and earn more.

Finances are important to me because money can buy comfort, security and influence for myself and my loved ones.

I've not tried magical means of making money but will look into it soon. :)

PrincessKLS
January 9th, 2008, 08:45 PM
The only thing is that once you've got money you then have to worry about how to spend it.

Of course you can't just spend it all on consumer goods, you've got to invest some of it. But where do you invest. How are you sure that where you put your money is a good investment.

Then of course it would be nice to help some people in your family and friends. But which ones? How do you prioritise.

Then there's the guilty feelings. What about the starving people in the world? Plus, do you really deserver all this money, when others work so much harder than you.

In order to really compare which is more worrisome having money or not, you have to have had both. In my opinion the life of the rich is a hell of a lot more stressful.

When I was working, I started a saving account and I would put about $100 a month in it and the rest either went to my checking or my hands. After taxes in early 2006, I decided to put $1,000 of my savings in a no-penalty CD, and it collected interest and I had over $1,000 in my checking, so I had over $2,000 almost $3,000 but looking back if I knew that I would had to return an extra semester to retake a class to get my certificate and if I knew I wasn't going to have a good job for a while, I would've taken the $1,000 to put into my checking account and used a lot of my money to go ahead and pay off my student loan.

Right now I don't even have the money to pay it all off. I could take about $900 or so and break my bank account but I'd still be a few hundred dollars in debt :(

And of course when I got really close in 2006 of breaking my bank account, I took the $1,000+ CD and put it in my checking and now I'm starting to think I need to combine my savings and checking account into one bank account :(

I just bought a lot of CDs, little stuff, and psychic readings, thinking I could make more money by now.

TaylorE
January 9th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I think recognizing what enough is, and what it means is actually essential to abundance thinking. Scarcity thinking is rooted in never feeling like you have enough and when you consider how often we get this message from media, and other influences, it can be indicative of just how much we need to learn what enough really means, in the context of abundance.

I think recognizing what wealth is, not just in terms of money, but in terms of what you value and what you might use money for is essential to coming to peace with wealth. For me, for instance, having enough wealth to enjoy some quality food and a roof over my head, as well as some books or games is really special. It makes me feel good, makes me feel wealthy. But also having enough to plan for the long term is another good feeling I like to cultivate. So another question might be how we recognize the difference between short term and long term wealth.

As far as the stress of having money vs not having money...that really depends on what you do prioritize and what you value and how money plays a role in that. For instance, while money isn't necessarily essential for travel, it certainly makes it much easier to do so, and consequently less stressful. I think it's really a matter of recognizing how your perceptions and attitudes frame your approach toward dealing with money...and remember money is just a symbol of the actual power dynamic that constitutes wealth.

PrincessKLS
January 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM
The last book I bought was over the summer, "A tale of two cities" and I haven't read it. I'm not much of a causal reader.