PDA

View Full Version : the best MMORPG?

Kochou
January 2nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
I'm shopping around for another MMORPG. I like the fantasy kind and I think they're all fantasy kind, right? I'm solo-ish for the most part and I need to be a woman chara. 8O

Any suggestions? (Other than Guild Wars, which I've played and enjoyed.) Thanks all!

BlueSage
January 2nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
I'm about to get into Final Fantasy X1 finally....

mtpathy
January 2nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
I'm shopping around for another MMORPG. I like the fantasy kind and I think they're all fantasy kind, right? I'm solo-ish for the most part and I need to be a woman chara. 8O

Any suggestions? (Other than Guild Wars, which I've played and enjoyed.) Thanks all!

the only mmorpg thats out now that i KNOW you can solo in is UltimaOnlineKingdomReborn.

BlueSage
January 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
just so you know though, GW is the only F2P (free to play) mmorpg out there that you can buy on store shelves.

if you don't want to buy one I'm having a lot of fun with MapleStory at the moment. i really miss the 2d rpg's of the 80's 90's... :(

GothicNymph
January 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
i play final fantasy xi but theres a lot of things in the game that you cant do solo but its a lot of fun. i met my fiancee on the ifrit server.

BlueSage
January 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
the only mmorpg thats out now that i KNOW you can solo in is UltimaOnlineKingdomReborn.

I soloed in WoW 1 to 60 but also did the occasional BG to get my mind off it lol

Kochou
January 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
i play final fantasy xi but theres a lot of things in the game that you cant do solo but its a lot of fun. i met my fiancee on the ifrit server.

I've heard a lot of really bad things about the FF one. One of the biggest being that it's very hard to level up and the second is that it's virtually none solo. How much a month is it?

Kochou
January 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
just so you know though, GW is the only F2P (free to play) mmorpg out there that you can buy on store shelves.

if you don't want to buy one I'm having a lot of fun with MapleStory at the moment. i really miss the 2d rpg's of the 80's 90's... :(

Yeah, that's why i first bought GW. I still think it's fun. ;D

GothicNymph
January 2nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
there's not much solo thats true but its not that hard to level up.
its $12.95 a month for the first character and if you decide to make additional ones its $1 more per month but you can do multiple jobs all on the same character without penalty for switching

Fire-scryer
January 3rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
Dark Age of Camelot. It is possible (hard but possible) to solo your way to 50 and since the game is all about pvp, pick a stealther class. They are the farthest away from group dependent in pvp.

Lunacie
January 3rd, 2008, 01:00 AM

Neverwinter Nights is also free - after you buy the game itself.

I've been playing it for a couple of months, trying out different kinds of characters. Once you get past a certain level it gets harder to survive if playing solo. But it's easy to hook up with anyone else who is online so you don't have to go it solo.

fire child
January 3rd, 2008, 01:42 AM
I play World of Warcraft. And have soloed the whole way up to 65, only time i have done anything with a group was when my buddies wanted to do a raid or Battleground.
I use to play FFXI but got really annoyed with it cause the only way i could level up my bard or summoner was with a party and then it took hours of waiting for the party so i could lvl.

RoseRhythm
January 3rd, 2008, 02:03 AM
I play World of Warcraft like many others, lol. I prefer soloing and it's super easy to solo your way to the max level. I group some, but I never have to, I just choose to. I tried Vangaurd for a little while, but it was kind of boring, lol. Too many huge open spaces, although I might just have played in a non-fun area or something. It too is solo-able to a point.

Lyrien
January 3rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
EQ2 necro. It's a pet class, if you like that sort of thing, and VERY easily solo'd.

Greybird
January 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
I've played a number of MMOs over the years, and I'm mostly a solo player. World of Warcraft is decent for soloing, although you have to grind a bit too much to make up for the lack of intentionally solo quests and the dead ends in some of the quest lines.

Probably the most fun I've had soloing, and the game best suited to it, is the Lord of the Rings Online. Not a lot of grinding, completely soloable, and lots of fun.

Teresa
January 3rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
I am still playing Everquest since Nov of 1999. I still enjoy it as much as I did then.

Here is my main's profile:

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/651353

RainInanna
January 3rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Neverwinter Nights is also free - after you buy the game itself.

I've been playing it for a couple of months, trying out different kinds of characters. Once you get past a certain level it gets harder to survive if playing solo. But it's easy to hook up with anyone else who is online so you don't have to go it solo.

This is good to know. I had to reread this twice before I realized you meant the newest NWN. I have the first one and I was sure it wasn't online. So if I do anything it will be buying NWN2 or an expansion for GW.

BlueSage
January 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
cool link shalaye

BlueSage
January 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
This is good to know. I had to reread this twice before I realized you meant the newest NWN. I have the first one and I was sure it wasn't online. So if I do anything it will be buying NWN2 or an expansion for GW.

i would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you look at your computer specs before you get NWN2. i have it and my computer runs sluggish. i got an nvidia card thats' just under a year old. 2 gigs of ram and it runs sluuuuuuugish.

but nwn...i still own it and love it. ;)

BlueSage
January 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
i should say: the nvidia card and the computer is just under a year old.
edit: and that's with all graphics turned out...i really fealt bad when it started up in 6 minutes... :( i was like what the heck???

RainInanna
January 3rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the reminder, no problem with the requirements, even match the recommended for video and twice as much as recommended for ram, but 2.8 vs 3 for the processor. so will probably try it.

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=481529&forum=95

BlueSage
January 3rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
oh never seen that page. yea my nvidia card is exactly the 6800.

i guess i'm running minimum specs on a computer that is like 9 months old. :( makes u wonder why i bought it....lol.

RainInanna
January 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
I just inherited mine, not sure how long DH had it, but he gave it to me a couple weeks ago when he bought himself a new $2k computer. It does the job.

GothicNymph
January 3rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
i played the original nwn online once or twice but it wasnt exactly a great experience so i prefer to play that one offline. i got nwn2 for my bday but need to upgrade my video card in order to play it :(

WolfyJames
January 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I love Guild Wars, it's a great MMO. I really feel spoiled in this game. The only other MMOs that have hooked me up are City of Villains/Heroes and Lord of the Rings Online.

I played the villain version of CoX and I loved it, the graphics are nice, the gameplay is fun, the creation customization drives anyone crazy (no other game has more customization for the look), there is lots of dark humor in it, it's darker and dirtier than CoH. You can solo in CoH without too much problem, the community is mature and you can even have fun rping (I did).

http://www.cityofvillains.com/

Lord of the Rings Online is a recent addition, came out spring 2007. It's of course based on the books by Tolkien and you get to live in Middle-Earth either as a Hobbit, Elve, Human or Dwarf, you can even buy a house. The game is very based on quests and on the storyline, similar to Guild wars. The graphics are beautiful. You can have fun rping there too, again, mature community and all. It's a casual game like WoW. I know some notice the similarities with it and WoW but WoW pretty much copied everything from Acheron Calls 2 which was made by Turbine, the devs behind Lord of the Rings Online. Lord of the Rings Online uses the same engine and interface from Acheron Calls 2 actually.

http://www.lotro.com/

fire child
January 18th, 2008, 05:36 PM
http://www.stargateworlds.com/

just heard about this one.. should be coming soon if you Love the stargate movie/tv show like i do

Halstrom
January 18th, 2008, 06:15 PM
That's gonna be really awesome Fire Child. I can't wait for that to come out!

mtpathy
January 18th, 2008, 10:30 PM
http://www.stargateworlds.com/

just heard about this one.. should be coming soon if you Love the stargate movie/tv show like i do

lol i cant stand that tv series! why couldnt they come out with a battlestar galactica instead..