PDA

View Full Version : NY residents: How is Hilary Clinton doing as a senator?

banondraig
January 4th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I'm curious as to what those who voted for either Hilary or the other guy think of her performance?

Would you vote for her for Senator from New York if she ran for that office again?

Thunder
January 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM
New York is a funny place. The population of the state is somewhere around 19.8 million. A smidge over 8 million of those live in NYC. The city leans heavily to the left, the rest of the state leans more or less to the right (further right the further north you go). At the moment we have two Democrat Senators, Schumer and Clinton. Everyone north of Sleepy Hollow feels pretty much ignored (yes... that Sleepy Hollow). Charles Schumer has been shifting steadily to the center over the time he has been in office. And I must saythat Hilary has been doing her best with the very steep learning curve that she faced when she was elected. I do at times still get a little bent out of shape over the fact that she (they) moved here just to establish residency to run for office. She isn't a New Yorker and buying a big house in Westchester with someone elses money doesn't make her one. Also, NY is pretty evenly split (state wide) between Dems and Repubs and I was always happier when we had one of each in the senate.

Would I vote for her if she ran again... it would depend entirely upon whom she was running against. Remember... no Ideology owns me and I never make my decisions based on party lines.

L_Moonshade
January 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I live in Western NY, just south of Buffalo, and I have to say I'm fairly pleased with the job she's done. I don't feel ignored by her, in the least; she's spent time in the area, and has fought for money and other benefits.

As for if I'd vote for her again, it would depend on her opponant. I tend to vote Democratic, but I'm not against voting for someone from another party, if I think they could do a better job.

Laisrean
January 4th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Senators effect the entire nation, not just the state they are elected in. New Yorkers have the power to re-elect her, or not, but she effects the entire nation.

That said, I think she has done a terrible job by voting to approve the war and torture.

Autumn
January 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
She seems to have done no better nor worse by the Adirondack-North Country region than any other downstate politician ever does. I voted against her in the primaries but for her in the generals in order to take back the Senate. but after years of holding my nose and voting for Mario Cuomo and then voting down ticket knowing that was a vote for George Pataki I'm well used to it!

Thunder summed a lot of it up, although I would apply Peter Freyn's name for Montpelier VT to Abany NY-- Mount Peculiar!

banondraig
January 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Senators effect the entire nation, not just the state they are elected in. New Yorkers have the power to re-elect her, or not, but she effects the entire nation.

No kidding.

I can look up her voting record on thomas.loc.gov any time I want to; I was curious as to whether or not the people whom she is bound to represent feel she has adequately done so.

That said, I think she has done a terrible job by voting to approve the war and torture.

Agreed.

PrincessKLS
January 4th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Since I don't live in NY, I won't comment on her ability as a senator but I think she has a chance in the White House, even if it's part nepotism, which we've learned works well in politics, :lol:

I have to say she's not the best candidate out there but I think given the chance she can do a good job and not just a better job than Bush. Just about anyone could do better than GWB Jr. :lol:

banondraig
January 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM
*bump*