PDA

View Full Version : Bill Clinton on "experience"...

Wicce
January 6th, 2008, 11:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMlrSG1xb5k

Watching this, who would you say Obama is most like...George W. Bush (as Hillary has repeatedly tried to make the comparison with lately) or Bill Clinton?

edit for transcript:

"I believe experience counts but it's not everything. Values, judgment, and the record that I have amassed in my state also should count for something. You know, my wife Hillary gave me a book a year ago in which the author defined insanity as just doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. We have got to have the courage to change. Experience is important, yes, I've gotten a lot of good experience in dealing with ordinary people over the last year, and month, I've touched more peoples' lives and seen more heartbreak and hope, more pain and more promise, than anyone else who's run for president this year. ...We need a new approach. The same old experience is not relevant. And you can have the right kind of experience and the wrong kind of experience. Mine is rooted in the real lives of real people and it will bring real results if we have the courage to change."

Laisrean
January 7th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Probably Bill Clinton. But Bill Clinton isn't really much different than Bush, since both men are/were big government war-mongering nation-builders.

banondraig
January 7th, 2008, 01:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMlrS

Watching this, who would you say Obama is most like...George W. Bush (as Hillary has repeatedly tried to make the comparison with lately) or Bill Clinton?

i'm on dial-up at the mo, so haven't watched the vid yet, but huckabee reminds me of bush quite a bit. i'm not sure where hilary is getting this idea.

Wicce
January 7th, 2008, 01:37 AM
i'm on dial-up at the mo, so haven't watched the vid yet, but huckabee reminds me of bush quite a bit. i'm not sure where hilary is getting this idea.

I just typed it all down, and I had messed up the video link anyway, so oops.

Huckabee reminds me of Bush, too, which is why I kinda hope he gets the nomination, because I don't think he'd stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning the election. Hillary is comparing Obama to Bush naivete-wise, saying that we picked the charming president we'd rather have a beer with in 2000, and that ended up a disaster, etc. But Bill Clinton fielded the same questions about experience as Obama is now, and clearly Hillary is being a hypocrite. Even Ronald Reagan weighed in on Bill Clinton's "lack of experience" in 1991.

banondraig
January 7th, 2008, 02:00 AM

Huckabee reminds me of Bush, too, which is why I kinda hope he gets the nomination, because I don't think he'd stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning the election. Hillary is comparing Obama to Bush naivete-wise, saying that we picked the charming president we'd rather have a beer with in 2000, and that ended up a disaster, etc. But Bill Clinton fielded the same questions about experience as Obama is now, and clearly Hillary is being a hypocrite. Even Ronald Reagan weighed in on Bill Clinton's "lack of experience" in 1991.

Bill Clinton had at least run a medium-to-large political entity on his own prior to running for president.

I have to agree with her comment about voting for the guy with whom one would want to have a beer. It's no part of the president's job description to have a beer with me; in fact I think beer-ability might even be a minus.

Laisrean
January 7th, 2008, 03:35 AM

Are you suggesting Bill Clinton turned out to be a great president? Do I need to point out things he is responsible for during his presidency? Things like: Ruby Ridge, Waco, the Balkans, Iraq, Somalia, Sudan, Serbia, et cetera.

Also, the myth of him actually balancing the budget in 2000 is just that; a myth. The deficit has grown larger every single year without interruption since the 1960s, and this includes every year of Clinton's presidency.

So he really wasn't a great president, imho. Probably better than Bush, but that isn't really saying a lot.

Wicce
January 7th, 2008, 03:40 AM
No, I am suggesting exactly what I said to banondraig - that Hillary is a hypocrite for denigrating Obama for the same thing her husband was denigrated for.

I have to agree with her comment about voting for the guy with whom one would want to have a beer. It's no part of the president's job description to have a beer with me; in fact I think beer-ability might even be a minus.

I agree, but that doesn't mean people with charisma are just like GWB, which is what she is implying.

banondraig
January 8th, 2008, 02:19 PM
No, I am suggesting exactly what I said to banondraig - that Hillary is a hypocrite for denigrating Obama for the same thing her husband was denigrated for.

I agree, but that doesn't mean people with charisma are just like GWB, which is what she is implying.

That is definitely hypocritical. No way would she have gotten where she is today without her husband's charisma. I guess she needs to make up for her own complete lack of charisma in some way or another. :rolleyes: