PDA

View Full Version : A Tarot Bag Knitting Pattern

EvieLee
January 9th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I didn't want to hijack Austeja's thread (http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=178403) over in the Tarot Forum, but it's of a similar vein.

I've become quite taken with the idea of making a little bag for my deck, but I'm really new to knitting. I'm only on my second project, and technically only on the first actual pattern because the first one (a scarf) I pretty much just made up based on a lose pattern. I can cast-on, knit, purl and cast-off. Oh and I can do some mean tassels, but that's not really relevant for this project. 8O Anyway, my trouble is that I'm not sure how to make up a pattern from scratch and have no idea where to start, but my google-fu has failed me and I can't seem to find anything on the net similar to what I want.

I'm looking to make something big enough for the deck (obviously) but not so incredibly tight that the yarn looks stretch - more pouch like and generic than for a specific sized deck. I've got an envelope kind of design in my head (similar to Rainsong's beautiful crocheted creations in the original thread). Very much just two pannels - front and back - with the back one extended to reach over the front to button up. I'm not sure if I have to include little edge pannels or do something special with the seaming to stop it all from stretching uncomfortably. In fact, I haven't seamed anything for that matter.

So you see my pickle? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, but it's not urgent - just in the planning phases at this stage.

Thanks.
Evie.

EvieLee
January 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Ok. Well, I'm going to keep digging, and maybe have a go at coming up with something my self. If I get anywhere, I'll update here. :hahugh:

Austeja
January 19th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Evie- ill look up some patterns for you tonight. :)

EvieLee
January 19th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Thanks Austeja. I'm actually half way through a design of my own making, but would love to see anything you may come up with. When I finish this pocket (and decide whether or not it was a success) I'll post some pics and descibe how it all went. :hahugh:

Treegoddess
January 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM
This should be pretty simple to do! (& this is coming from someone who has been knitting for 6 months and can make a killer scarf, but just can't figure out any of the more complicated patterns)

You should be able to just knit a rectangle and then sew up the sides to make it a pouch! If you can find a pattern for a pentacle or something, that would be cool too! Patterns can be made also by just alternating Knit & Purl, but it can be confusing trying to make your own!

Good luck!!!

EvieLee
January 19th, 2008, 10:33 PM
8O I've only been at the whole knitting thing for about a month, so even the simplest things get over complicated for me (admittedly I have a habit of overthinking things).

I should have my first pocket finished by tonight, so I'll soon see if I've messed up with my evil ambitions. :lol:

EvieLee
January 20th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Have just finished my first attempt and written up my pattern over on my LJ.

For the pattern see here (http://everevie.livejournal.com/29012.html?mode=reply).

I'm really happy with how it turned out and am now in the planning stages of making another for myself. Quite proud of my (sure to be insignificant in comparison) accomplishment. 8O

Treegoddess
January 20th, 2008, 04:22 PM
OMG it's so cute! And you've only been knitting a month????? *hangs head in shame*

EvieLee
January 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM
OMG it's so cute! And you've only been knitting a month????? *hangs head in shame*

Aw thanks. :smileroll I'm still at the stage where I have to start over several times before I get my cast on and tension nice, but I think I'm getting there.

I started on one for myself last night in one of those multi-toned yarns - it's a lovely grey-green-brown affair and looks quite nice. I'm liking these nice quick little projects at the moment.

Treegoddess
January 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM
I dont' know how to do button holes. :wth:

Isabella LeCour
January 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM
That's really good. And I think your right about getting it blocked. It should take out a bit of the edge curling. I'm fairly sure you can still block after is was finished. But that yarn, it's wool? Have you thought of felting it? It would give it a very different look. Either way...good job.

EvieLee
January 21st, 2008, 08:14 PM
I found button holes surprisingly easy - just cast off the required number of stitches for width in the middle and then cast them back on in the next row. I hear there are several ways of doing it - as per everything to do with knitting. :smileroll

Re: the curling edges - I've been making another attempt at it and I've adjusted my pattern to incorporate the 12 rows garter and then 6 stitch garter edging right from the start and the curling is minimal.

I'm not a big fan of felting - I don't like the feel of it. But it would be interesting to give it a go and see how it works.