PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Backs Obama, Snubbing Former Running Mate

banondraig
January 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM
link (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17994568&ft=1&f=1001)

PrincessKLS
January 10th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I read that this morning. I don't what to think, I back Obama too but with Kerry you never know with his flip flopping ways if he means it or not.

Wicce
January 10th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Ouch for Edwards. I read (though this may be pure rumor) that after the 2004 elections Edwards wanted to pursue vote fraud allegations in Ohio further and contest the election whereas Kerry felt it was a done deal. There may have been some falling out.

Laisrean
January 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Its sad, but Kerry knows a winner when he sees one and maybe he'll get to be Obama's running mate in return for his endorsement?

Wicce
January 10th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I HOPE this isn't a thread hijack (yell if it is!) but who do you guys think Al Gore will endorse? do you think he'll go with Hillary and Bill, or one of the youngsters?

Btw, here is a blog article about the Kerry endorsement:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/01/10/what_does_the_kerry_endorsemen_1.html

In conversations with several current and former advisers to the Massachusetts senator, two immediate benefits become clear.

First, Kerry still carries a 3 million-plus person e-mail list from his run for president in 2004. That is, without question, the largest list of small-dollar donors within the party and one that Obama should benefit from in the very near future. Kerry showed in the 2006 election that the list responds when he asks it for money -- even for House and Senate candidates -- so it should be a financial windfall for Obama's campaign.

Second, Kerry still has the remnants of a national operation in nearly every state. That means donors, activists and operatives who know these states and will be able to add to the already large team of Obama backers around the country. Local knowledge and on-the-ground operatives are crucial to winning any of these early contests and could even prove decisive if Obama winds up as the nominee and is looking for people with in-depth knowledge of the general election battleground states.

PrincessKLS
January 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Its sad, but Kerry knows a winner when he sees one and maybe he'll get to be Obama's running mate in return for his endorsement?

Could he really do that??? Obama could pick John Kerry, a non-candidate as a VP? I thought he had to pick another current candidate.

Laisrean
January 10th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Could he really do that??? Obama could pick John Kerry, a non-candidate as a VP? I thought he had to pick another current candidate.

There's no rule that says that has to happen. Remember, in 2000 and 2004 Bush had Cheney as his running mate and Cheney wasn't a candidate.

banondraig
January 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM

It's usually done that way to get the VP candidate's hard-core supporters to vote for the other person.

Athena-Nadine
January 10th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I wish we could have the person who came in second in the election be Vice President. I hate this running together nonsense.

Laisrean
January 10th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I wish we could have the person who came in second in the election be Vice President. I hate this running together nonsense.

That's not a good idea, because the 2nd place candidate could be radically different and if the president dies in office you could have a successor who is extremely different.

Letting the nominee choose his own running mate is probably the best solution because they are likely to choose someone who is more or less compatible with their own positions.

banondraig
January 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM

It would solve the problem of primaries and caucuses grabbing undue shares of attention through early timing.

Moonlight's Daughter
January 11th, 2008, 12:07 PM
You know it didnt really surprise me. He is going to support who he thinks will have a chance to win the nomination (thus the presidency) it will help further his own position.