PDA

View Full Version : Do Discordians and Chaos Mages follow others besides Eris?

PrincessKLS
January 11th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Like is that your only goddess?

Thunder
January 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Wow......... someone dared to utter the D word.

I miss Diminutive William.

PrincessKLS
January 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I don't know who that is?

BlackLili
January 11th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Q. How many Discordians does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. A blue fish Tuesday!

/wipes eyes
oh, i kill me...

aranarose
January 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Discordians do whatever we damn well please.

Thunder
January 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I don't know who that is?The greatest... tallest... wisest.. Discordian who ever strode out of the desert.

Thunder
January 11th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Not really a big deal... so do the rest of us.

PrincessKLS
January 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Oh I didn't know you were a discordian, you seem really calm.

Solya
January 11th, 2008, 03:39 PM
She seems to be the matron deity of Discordianism, but I am not sure on how important she is to it... it's been a long, long time since I read the Principia Discordia. :smile: I don't think Chaos Mages solely follow Eris, though, but that they use whatever works for them at a certain point in time.

aranarose
January 11th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Oh I didn't know you were a discordian, you seem really calm.

What on earth does that have to do with being discordian?

David19
January 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I think Chaos Mages use whatever works, some don't believe in Gods, some do but see them as either Archetypes or thought-forms, or some believe in them as individuals with their own personalities, but might work with or worship whatever God they want.

Some Chaos Mages might worship Eris, others might not, it depends on the Chaos Magician.

I don't know too much about Discordianism, to answer about them.

David19
January 11th, 2008, 04:05 PM
What on earth does that have to do with being discordian?

Didn't you get the memo?, to be a Discordian, you need to be really crazy. Calmness is the enemy of Discordians!.

aranarose
January 11th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Didn't you get the memo?, to be a Discordian, you need to be really crazy. Calmness is the enemy of Discordians!.

Then I guess that makes me the enemy of myself. :abanana:

BlackLili
January 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Then I guess that makes me the enemy of myself. :abanana:
If the Enemy of my enemy is my friend, then the enemy of myself is...my enemy's friend? So...that would make you your own worst enemy, right?

BlackLili
January 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM
My answer to the OP is still "a blue fish Tuesday" but more succinctly, I guess I'd say - "no, She isn't the only one."

Lunacie
January 11th, 2008, 04:42 PM
The greatest... tallest... wisest.. Discordian who ever strode out of the desert.

My opinion is completely the opposite. Although since I never met the guy in person, he may be taller than the tallest man I've ever met (6'6"), although I've attended basketball tourneys where there were lots of guys even taller than that. Some of them even came out of a desert.

Also, LB may be the greatest . . . er . . . ask me in private.

He may have the honor of being banned from the largest number of online forums though.

Thunder
January 11th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I admit he is his own worst enemy. But I have rarely encountered as fine a mind. It is a shame actually. Something haunts him.

Xentor
January 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Wow......... someone dared to utter the D word.

I miss Diminutive William.

I utter D-words all the time, so what's your point?

Last time I heard, William was still going strong on other parts of the net.

Lunacie
January 11th, 2008, 05:23 PM
If the Enemy of my enemy is my friend, then the enemy of myself is...my enemy's friend? So...that would make you your own worst enemy, right?

I admit he is his own worst enemy.

Does that make him his own best friend, as well?

All this thinking... arrgghhh... it's too chaotic! :holycow:

But I have rarely encountered as fine a mind. It is a shame actually. Something haunts him.

Indeed, and I would be willing to cut him some slack for that if he were willing to do the same for anyone else.

Xentor
January 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM
No, no, no. We're not going to turn this thread into a discussion about a member who once used to be part of our community. Please return to the topic.

Thank you.

Thunder
January 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Okey Dokey

9-2-2
February 3rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
I Woarships Me Some Cheese.
Bow Down And Be Gouda.

BlueSage
February 3rd, 2008, 12:30 AM
i'm a Chaote. believing that no path is right and that all paths are fallacies ftw. ;)

9-2-2
February 3rd, 2008, 12:40 AM
i'm a Chaote. believing that no path is right and that all paths are fallacies ftw. ;)

qft.

Now to add a dash of spood, and blarg to garnish. Then you has correct motorcycle.

BlueSage
February 3rd, 2008, 12:43 AM
qft.

Now to add a dash of spood, and blarg to garnish. Then you has correct motorcycle.

vroom vroom.

looks like my motorcycle is getting the job done faster then urs! :hehehehe: :hahugh:

PrincessKLS
February 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I Woarships Me Some Cheese.
Bow Down And Be Gouda.
:rollingla:rotfl:

Tabula Rasa
February 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Like is that your only goddess?

Eris is my only goddess, but I actually pray to the Ceiling Cat.

Bettie
February 5th, 2008, 01:19 AM

I never get the ceiling cat. I must be doing it wrong. Maybe prayer will help... or not.....

blithespirit
February 5th, 2008, 03:16 AM

Ceiling Cat's great, but personally, my prayers go to Brak:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/hippiewitch/avatar_1050.gif

GabrielWithoutWings
February 5th, 2008, 07:12 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

Whew. Man, there's a little too much rigid fundamentalism in this post.

I'm seriously feeling an urge to rebel and drink and fornicate to get away from these rules.

:nyah:

Phantom_Lexicon
March 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
I'd say Discordians don't "worship" anything or anyone as such (except, perhaps, the power of Chaos). Everything is relitive. I have had contact with (frequently) and love Eris, but I think if I every tried to "pray" to her she'd probably make a cow (chao?) fall throuh our roof or something.

Discordianism isn't a Religion so much as a Way of Seeing Things. It's like saying somebody is Pagan- it doesn't really say much about the specifics, just a general idea of what somebody believes.

cesara
March 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Q. How many Discordians does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. A blue fish Tuesday!

/wipes eyes
oh, i kill me...

:rotfl:

Kalroth
April 17th, 2008, 07:08 PM
qft.

I can has cheese of friendship?

Twinkle
April 17th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I'd say Discordians don't "worship" anything or anyone as such (except, perhaps, the power of Chaos). Everything is relitive. I have had contact with (frequently) and love Eris, but I think if I every tried to "pray" to her she'd probably make a cow (chao?) fall throuh our roof or something.

Discordianism isn't a Religion so much as a Way of Seeing Things. It's like saying somebody is Pagan- it doesn't really say much about the specifics, just a general idea of what somebody believes.

I think it would be difficult to make general statements about Discordianism, because it is a highly personalized religion that each Discordian defines for him/herself. There are many that worship Eris. I also know some that worship other Greek Deities along with Eris. There are some that just sort of wave to Eris, and then there are some that don't acknowledge her at all...and they are all Discordians, simply because they say they are.

I know some Discordians that also are Druids. I know Discordians that practice Christianity.

It's a very tough question to answer, really.

brymble
July 31st, 2008, 11:05 PM
I was under the impression that who they follow depended entirely on where she was going, and who was buying the drinks.

Little Billy
August 2nd, 2008, 01:11 AM
I was under the impression that who they follow depended entirely on where she was going, and who was buying the drinks.

Mostly we just wander in circles, taping "Out of Order - The Mgt" signs to everything we come near.

coeur
August 2nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
I highly doubt most people worship Eris so much as what she represents in books like Principia Discordia: a joke; a deity who doesn't take herself seriously but has been misconstrued to appear to take herself very seriously. And that's a little bit of what strings most chaotes and Discordians together--the ability to take a joke, if nothing else. On that note, Discordians and chaotes will worship whatever and whomever they please--including various deities they have invented for themselves--and it doesn't really matter so much what they do, so long as they keep a healthy sense of humor.

petrus4
July 2nd, 2012, 01:26 AM
Only having one Goddess? That sounds sufficiently like... *horrified whisper* a RULE! *Runs and hides*