PDA

View Full Version : Sesame St. to introduce HIV-positive Muppet

Faery-Wings
July 12th, 2002, 08:00 AM
So far, only in South Africa. But I think a good message for all areas hit by HIV/AIDS. Cheers to Sesame for de-stigmatizing this disease.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/12/sesame.street.reut/index.html

Flar's Freyja
July 12th, 2002, 08:50 AM
:) I think it's wonderful, especially since we're hearing that AIDS is again on the rise. Educating our children this young could do a lot for prevention.

I'm not sure it would go over well in my part of the country, the Bible belt. There are still parents in this area who are not in agreement to AIDS education in schools :(

callalily
July 12th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Applause for Sesame Street! I am old enough (augh) to remember when it was a big thing to intorduce a deaf character and a character in a wheelchair. May their contract be eternally renewed.

Flaire-FireStar
July 12th, 2002, 11:32 PM
Many congradulations to them. I think it's a wonderful idea to try and "teach" the effects of HIV/AIDS to children of that age group..and of course, what a better way than on a program they already know and love. :)

Xander67
July 13th, 2002, 01:32 PM
I am always behind anyone in the entertainment community that presents current issues in a positive non discriminatory manner..

:o Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Seasame Streeeeet,
how to get to Seasamee Street :)

Witchy Cowgirl
July 14th, 2002, 12:25 PM
:thumbsup:

callalily
July 17th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Just saw on the CNN ticker that the Republican Right won another battle. PBS caved and won't be bringing the HIV+ muppet to the US anytime soon.

I better not comment as this is a family site.

Badgerval
July 17th, 2002, 04:16 PM
as Shrubby withdrew most of the funding from HIV and safe sex programmes while pumping money into abstinence only prgrammes - and also tried to influence the UN's rights of the child charter by only wishing to give aid to countries that promoted abstinence only programmes

Chibi-Fallon
July 17th, 2002, 06:19 PM
It’s to bad people have to be so stupid and close-minded. I mean just because people don’t like it doesn’t mean HIV/AIDS is gonna go away. What was their problem with the puppet having it? Chances are he/she would have just been born with it (not be a drug user or be having lots of sex :D). I wish they hadn’t caved. PBS needs some of those puppets like the one that they had on the Simpsons.
“Elmo knows where you live!”

Faery-Wings
July 18th, 2002, 08:15 AM
I must say I am not surprised. :(

It just is so aggravating that something so beneficial to *children* has to become this big political issue.

*shakes head and walks away*

Tammy Sullivan
July 31st, 2002, 03:15 PM
What a great idea! And much needed.