PDA

View Full Version : Making Candles From Remnants At Home?

Lilith Morgaine
January 17th, 2008, 07:12 PM
How do I make new "candle offspring" from my own collected old candle wax from drippy candles , and my own low/empty glass candle jars...... I would need all the directions... like what do I melt it in.... what do you use for a wick in a pinch.... what can you use for a wick that might be around the house????

the WHOLE thing......

I'm itchin to make "the offspring" of my old alter candles.....
btw would the new candles store the energy of the old?

Crystal Raven
January 19th, 2008, 09:27 AM
teacup candles are pretty easy..
melt the dregs in a double broiler, pour into a teacup, let wax set a touch, add a birthday candle for the wick

WulfcwenStar
October 21st, 2008, 03:04 PM
I melt remnants of candles that have not been used in rituals or magick in a small bowl over a pan of simmering water taking care no water gets into the wax.
Then I use the empty tea light holders you can buy prewaxed and tabbed tealight wicks on Ebay or other sites or take some out of the cheap tea lights.
Place the wick in the empty tealight container and pour in the melted wax.

I made two black tealight candles from the coating on two dipped black candles doing this. It works well and you get solid candles from dipped ones. The remaining candle can be melted and turned into tea cup candles.

link to a site selling pre tabbed tealight wicks
http://www.discountcandleshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/862

Wolfsong
October 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM
looks like people have shared their ideas on melting the old wax.... in regards to wicks... if you dont have a b-day candle laying around to use (which is the easiest way) take 3 pieces of cotton yarn and soak them for a 6 hours or so in a mixture of turpentine, lime water and vinegar. After that let them dry completely. Next braid the three strands together then continually dunk the wick in melted wax until it is completely saturated. Let it dry and you have a wick.

Another thing to soak the cotton yarn in would be to desolve 2 tbsp. table salt and 4 tbsp. borax in 1 1/2 c. warm water for 6 or so hours. Dry, braid and follow the other directions above to complete.

banondraig
October 29th, 2008, 05:52 PM
What proportion of water and lime do you need? Can it be lime such as people use for the lawns or does it have to be a special kind?