PDA

View Full Version : Please welcome Mike Nichols to the Author's Circle

GEBS
January 19th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Mike Nichols is the celebrated author of The Witches' Sabbats (http://www.acornguild.com/sabbats.html)--the ultimate resource on Pagan holidays and related writings. He does extensive online teaching and writing, occasionally guest lectures at Pagan festivals, and performs in a Pagan band called Spellbound. Mike has been a featured speaker on National Public Radio, Spiral Dance Radio, and Eclectic Pagan Podcast on iTunes.http://www.acornguild.com/nichols.html

Mike, welcome to our forum. Thank you for joining us. :)

raven grimassi
January 19th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Hello Mike, and welcome to the community here on Mystic Wicks! Good to have you with us.

David19
January 19th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Hi Mike, :welcome: to Mystic Wicks, and hope you enjoy it here :).

WynterWynd
January 19th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Howdy:wave: and Welcome!:welcome:

Caitlin.ann
January 19th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Welcome. :)

Amilee
January 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Yay an author!! Welcome to the site! yay!

Philosophia
January 19th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the site! :hugz:

Ben Gruagach
January 19th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Welcome to MysticWicks, Mike!

We're a pretty friendly diverse group here. Lots of places to relax as well as great discussions to challenge our thinking on a wide range of topics.

Teresa
January 20th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Welcome Aboard! It is a pleasure to have you join us here! {{ One of your adoring fans}}

January 20th, 2008, 12:34 PM
:welcome:

~Elise~
January 20th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Welcome Aboard! It is a pleasure to have you join us here! {{ One of your adoring fans}}

Ditto that! :hahugh:

I'm a fan too! Your works are required reading in my Year and Day classes!

Elise

SoulFire
January 21st, 2008, 12:28 AM
:woot:

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 01:48 AM
http://www.acornguild.com/nichols.html

Mike, welcome to our forum. Thank you for joining us. :)

It is a true pleasure to be here! And thank you so much for your warm welcome and hospitality. Please be gentle with me because I am new at this! It will probably take me a bit before I learn my way around this environment. But I see so many old friends here already that it promises to be great fun!

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 02:05 AM
Hello Mike, and welcome to the community here on Mystic Wicks! Good to have you with us.

Hey Raven! Well met! Haven't seen you since your wonderful workshop at Aquarius in Kansas City! Oddly enough, I've got one coming up there myself for Candlemas, part of an all-day intensive:
http://www.ringinganvil.org/SF_WorkshopDescriptions.htm#WheelYear

At any rate, I hope this finds you and yours hale and happy! I'll try to come up to speed on this site as quickly as I may, but I'm a rank newbie for now! LOL!

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 02:14 AM
Hi Mike, :welcome: to Mystic Wicks, and hope you enjoy it here :).

Hi, David! Thanks so much for your kind welcome! It's great to meet you! I look forward to getting to know the folks hereabouts!

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 02:21 AM
Howdy:wave: and Welcome!:welcome:

Howdy, VB! Great hat! I've been thinking about getting a dark fedora lately, now that I've let my hair grow longer. (My PR pic was taken before I let my hair get to about shoulder length.) Whadya think?? Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 02:24 AM
Welcome. :)

Many thanks! Nice to meet you!

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 02:28 AM
Yay an author!! Welcome to the site! yay!

LOL! Thank you! Always nice to meet another Terry Pratchett fan! And from your sig, it looks like "Best Wishes" are in order!

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 02:33 AM
Welcome to the site! :hugz:

Merci. It's great to be here. I love your quotes. It looks like you have the same love affair I've always had with books. Be careful, it can eventually lead to excesses, like writing them! LOL! Nice to meet you!

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 02:38 AM
Welcome to MysticWicks, Mike!

We're a pretty friendly diverse group here. Lots of places to relax as well as great discussions to challenge our thinking on a wide range of topics.

Hi, Ben! How lovely to finally get a chance say thank you in public for your kind words about my scribblings! It is truly appreciated! I look forward to getting to know you (and everybody else around here) better!

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 02:44 AM

The pleasure is all mine, believe me, if you're gonna say stuff like that! LOL!
Seriously, I am truly honored and humbled by your warm sentiments, and will try to live up to them.

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 02:49 AM

Thank you!!! (Interestingly enough, I was at a party New Year's Eve where people were playing Twister. In a cage. Skyclad. It's a long story... LOL!)

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 03:02 AM
Ditto that! :hahugh:

I'm a fan too! Your works are required reading in my Year and Day classes!

Elise

Whoa! Two "adoring fans" in one forum?! This is almost too much for me to take! I think I'm going to have to go have a little lie-down somewhere! LOL!

But once again, seriously, I am deeply honored and gratified that you should feel that way about my work. That only makes me want to get better. (Love your Excalibur quote, btw...)

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 03:21 AM
:woot:

Thanks for getting me into all of this! (In more ways than one!) LOL!

(I have got to get that Endora quote worked into a sound clip for my Wicca's Wonder Years presentation! It is so perfect!)

See ya!

~Elise~
January 21st, 2008, 09:55 AM
Whoa! Two "adoring fans" in one forum?! This is almost too much for me to take! I think I'm going to have to go have a little lie-down somewhere! LOL!

But once again, seriously, I am deeply honored and gratified that you should feel that way about my work. That only makes me want to get better. (Love your Excalibur quote, btw...)

Nicol was the best Merlin ever, IMO. I sooo love his sense of humor in that movie. It's warped, like mine.

I like your Merlin quote, too...I'm going to have to find my copy of Once and Future King and re-read it again. It's been ages.

Elise

Brigid Rowan
January 21st, 2008, 10:30 AM
Welcome to MW, hope you find it warm, welcoming, and full of wonderful conversations.

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 12:41 PM
Nicol was the best Merlin ever, IMO. I sooo love his sense of humor in that movie. It's warped, like mine.

I couldn't agree more. Williamson is wonder in whatever he tackles. I loved his Sherlock Holmes, too. Although the animated Merlin in Disney's The Sword in the Stone was beautifully done, and brilliantly voice-acted, as well.

I like your Merlin quote, too...I'm going to have to find my copy of Once and Future King and re-read it again. It's been ages.

That is the one quote that has been the truest inspiration of my life. And yes, do re-read White if you get the chance. That is my favorite book in the world. I've read so many authors all through my life, but none can compare to T.H. White.

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 12:48 PM
Welcome to MW, hope you find it warm, welcoming, and full of wonderful conversations.

Thank you so much, Brigid! So far, it has been all those things. I worry a bit that I won't have the time to give it what it really deserves, but I'll do my best. By the way, where did that last verse quote on your sig come from? It's wonderful!

Juniper138
January 21st, 2008, 05:10 PM
Yay! Glad to see you here :)

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM
Yay! Glad to see you here:)

My pleasure to be here! Always nice to meet a Celtic hedgewitch! :)

January 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Thank you!!! (Interestingly enough, I was at a party New Year's Eve where people were playing Twister. In a cage. Skyclad. It's a long story... LOL!)

And I missed it? :rotfl:

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 06:09 PM
And I missed it? :rotfl:

LOL! Count your blessings!

Lunacie
January 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hey Mike, I've read some of your stuff online, and look forward to getting to know you around here now. :chatty:

Wish I could afford to drive up to KC for the Candlemas event - no, actually I wish that either I lived closer to KC or that one of the shops around here would have interesting events like the folks at Aquarius do.

You actually read all the siggies... wow. :holycow:

Lupagreenwolf
January 21st, 2008, 07:27 PM
Hey, Mike! *waves* Nice to see ya here!

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Hey Mike, I've read some of your stuff online, and look forward to getting to know you around here now. :chatty:

I look forward to getting to know you, too! But be warned: I'm far weirder in person than my online writings would have you believe. ...well, actually... maybe not. LOL!!!

Wish I could afford to drive up to KC for the Candlemas event - no, actually I wish that either I lived closer to KC or that one of the shops around here would have interesting events like the folks at Aquarius do.

I wish you could attend, too. I am quite looking forward to it. I'm also quite looking forward to how I manage to scale my holidays lecture down to one hour when I can usually barely fit it into two hours!

You actually read all the siggies... wow. :holycow:

To quote Ursula the Sea Witch, "It's what I do! It's what I live for!"

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 08:02 PM
Hey, Mike! *waves* Nice to see ya here!

Lupa!!! *waves back excitedly* It's been far too long! Am I going to get to see you at Pantheacon this year?

Lunacie
January 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM
I look forward to getting to know you, too! But be warned: I'm far weirder in person than my online writings would have you believe. ...well, actually... maybe not. LOL!!!

Sounds like we'd get along pretty well then, I'm rather weird myself.

I wish you could attend, too. I am quite looking forward to it. I'm also quite looking forward to how I manage to scale my holidays lecture down to one hour when I can usually barely fit it into two hours!

My Grove would be pretty pissed at me if I did drive up to KC that Saturday, since we're planning to have our own Imbolc celebration that evening. :lol: We read through it this last Saturday evening in class and everyone is excited about it. I love working with ex-Catholics, they love ritual and aren't self-conscious, and they motivate the others to get excited. :woot:

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 08:38 PM
...My Grove would be pretty pissed at me if I did drive up to KC that Saturday, since we're planning to have our own Imbolc celebration that evening. :lol: We read through it this last Saturday evening in class and everyone is excited about it. I love working with ex-Catholics, they love ritual and aren't self-conscious, and they motivate the others to get excited. :woot:

Yep yep yep. As you probably know, I'm ex-RC myself, and it has greatly influenced my approach to liturgical form and history. And in all my years of teaching, I never once had to explain to an ex-RC why ritual. LOL!

Lupagreenwolf
January 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM
Lupa!!! *waves back excitedly* It's been far too long! Am I going to get to see you at Pantheacon this year?

Yes! *happy bounces* Tay and I both will be there. Really, really looking forward to it, and you've added yet another reason!

Brigid Rowan
January 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM
Thank you so much, Brigid! So far, it has been all those things. I worry a bit that I won't have the time to give it what it really deserves, but I'll do my best. By the way, where did that last verse quote on your sig come from? It's wonderful!

It comes from a poem entitled "We are Amazon", and goes on to read:

We are blood and fire.
War on wings.
We know the wind
and the song it sings.

We are Amazon.
We honor this truth
and to the storm we cry
'By my word I live
And by it I die.

By a woman named Lyssa, who counts herself as a modern day Amazon. Glad you liked it, I felt it applies well to many parts of being a witch.

mike nichols
January 21st, 2008, 10:50 PM
Yes! *happy bounces* Tay and I both will be there. Really, really looking forward to it, and you've added yet another reason!

Well, looks like plans have changed yet again and now I won't be making it to Pantheacon. Drat! Ah well, hopefully I'll catch up with you soon at some other venue. My love to you and Taylor!

Lupagreenwolf
January 21st, 2008, 11:31 PM
Awwwwww :( Ah,well. Take care, in the meantime!

Lunacie
January 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM
Yep yep yep. As you probably know, I'm ex-RC myself, and it has greatly influenced my approach to liturgical form and history. And in all my years of teaching, I never once had to explain to an ex-RC why ritual. LOL!

Hm, yes, I think I remember reading that. (But I have ADD and my memory isn't really very reliable.)

Class Saturday wasn't just going over the Imbolc Ritual, it was also explaining why we do all those things in the order we do them in. I noticed the ex-RC's didn't really have any questions, they just sat there and nodded. :lol:

I hope it's okay that I've used some of your writing as a basis for class at least once - so far. (I've only been Grove leader for 9 months).

mike nichols
January 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Hm, yes, I think I remember reading that. (But I have ADD and my memory isn't really very reliable.)

Class Saturday wasn't just going over the Imbolc Ritual, it was also explaining why we do all those things in the order we do them in. I noticed the ex-RC's didn't really have any questions, they just sat there and nodded. :lol:

I hope it's okay that I've used some of your writing as a basis for class at least once - so far. (I've only been Grove leader for 9 months).

LOL! That's exactly what I'd expect from the ex-Catholics. Or any of the "high church" alumni, Aglican, Episcopalian, etc. Also anyone raised in the Jewish faith. They not only understand the language or ritual, but they also understand its syntax. Because it has one! Certain things have to come before other things in a ceremony, if it's to make ritual sense.

Good heavens, yes, it's okay that you've used my stuff in your teachings. That's what I wrote it for. And I'm highly honored that you would choose it. http://www.mysticwicks.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Astara Seague
January 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
:abanana:Welcome Mike :reading:

mike nichols
January 22nd, 2008, 12:17 PM
:abanana:Welcome Mike :reading:

Thank you, Astara! It's great to be here. What's your kitty's name? I love cats. BTW, your title line reminds me of a favorite lyric from an old Chuck Berry song: "C'est la vie, said the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell!" http://www.mysticwicks.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Lunacie
January 22nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
LOL! That's exactly what I'd expect from the ex-Catholics. Or any of the "high church" alumni, Aglican, Episcopalian, etc. Also anyone raised in the Jewish faith. They not only understand the language or ritual, but they also understand its syntax. Because it has one! Certain things have to come before other things in a ceremony, if it's to make ritual sense.

Yes, that is what the class was all about on Saturday, going through the plans for the Imbolc Ritual and explaining why we do rituals in a certain order (why you create sacred space before inviting the honored guests, why you do any magic and energy work before having cakes and ale/wine). Planning the class really helped me get those things straight in my own head since the church I grew up in didn't celebrate high ritual. I am learning and growing right along with the rest of the group, which is exactly as it should be IMO.

Good heavens, yes, it's okay that you've used my stuff in your teachings. That's what I wrote it for. And I'm highly honored that you would choose it. http://www.mysticwicks.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Um... got anything for a retirement ritual? :hehehehe:
We have a member who is retiring from his job as a machinist next month. I'm planning a very light-hearted caffeine ritual, but I know there needs to be more substance to it for it be really meaningful.

Ben Gruagach
January 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
We have a member who is retiring from his job as a machinist next month. I'm planning a very light-hearted caffeine ritual, but I know there needs to be more substance to it for it be really meaningful.

I hope Mike doesn't mind me butting in with a link that might help: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=35281

Lunacie
January 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks Ben. I saw that page earlier when I was browsing for ideas. I agree with author about "cookie cutter" rituals. That's one reason I thought we'd make this a "coffee ritual" - T** is a real coffee-holic. Actually his major craving is chocolate, but we already did the chocolate ritual for his wife's birthday a couple of years ago. So doing it again for him would be "cookie cutter." ;)

I want it to be light hearted and joshing, but I also want to recognize that this is a major passage. I found a good ritual involving coffee (thank you Air for wafting the delicious aroma of brewing coffee, etc.) but it seems very skimpy, so I'm looking for other stuff to fill it out.

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack the "welcome to Mike Nichols". http://www.mysticwicks.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

mike nichols
January 22nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Yes, that is what the class was all about on Saturday, going through the plans for the Imbolc Ritual and explaining why we do rituals in a certain order (why you create sacred space before inviting the honored guests, why you do any magic and energy work before having cakes and ale/wine). Planning the class really helped me get those things straight in my own head since the church I grew up in didn't celebrate high ritual. I am learning and growing right along with the rest of the group, which is exactly as it should be IMO.

There is an old saying that, if you really want to learn a subject thoroughly, just try teaching it! It has worked for me for nearly 40 years! (Geez, did I say that out loud? How do I backspace on this thing?!)

There is another old saying that those who can't do, teach. LOL!!! Oddly enough, although I can analyse and diagram a ritual the way some people diagram sentences, I don't consider myself a great ritualist. My writing is prose, probably more akin to a tech manual. Good ritual is closer to poetry. Some people have a natural gift at writing it. I do not. I only write about it. http://www.mysticwicks.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Lunacie
January 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
There is an old saying that, if you really want to learn a subject thoroughly, just try teaching it! It has worked for me for nearly 40 years! (Geez, did I say that out loud? How do I backspace on this thing?!)

There is another old saying that those who can't do, teach. LOL!!! Oddly enough, although I can analyse and diagram a ritual the way some people diagram sentences, I don't consider myself a great ritualist. My writing is prose, probably more akin to a tech manual. Good ritual is closer to poetry. Some people have a natural gift at writing it. I do not. I only write about it. http://www.mysticwicks.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

My mother taught me to sew many years ago. She could take bits of two or more patterns and make something completely unique. I guess that's where I learned to take bits of more than one ritual and add some ideas from here and there and come up with something that not only works, but works pretty dang well. However, I don't think it would be nearly as good if I sat down with a planner and wrote my own ritual from scratch. ;)

Rasari
January 24th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Its exciting to see so many authors in one place.

mike nichols
January 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Thank you so much! http://www.mysticwicks.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Its exciting to see so many authors in one place.

Yeah, now if we can just keep them all from arguing... :rotfl:

Rasari
January 24th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Yeah, now if we can just keep them all from arguing... :rotfl:

lol,
Ahh, well. If there is one thing I've learned well in life, its that conflict spurs growth and development far quicker than sweet nothings. ;)

To be less than eloquent with words. It can really put a fire under one's arse to get something done or research something. :lol: Or it can lead to new realizations or turn into a form of inspiration. So even if some of the authors argue with each other at times, it may be beneficial to them and / or their work. Never know.:bigblue:

mike nichols
January 24th, 2008, 05:54 PM
lol,
Ahh, well. If there is one thing I've learned well in life, its that conflict spurs growth and development far quicker than sweet nothings. ;)

Oh, I don't know... Sweet nothings can sure spur growth in certain-- oops, wait a sec... Is this forum moderated???

To be less than eloquent with words. It can really put a fire under one's arse to get something done or research something. :lol: Or it can lead to new realizations or turn into a form of inspiration. So even if some of the authors argue with each other at times, it may be beneficial to them and / or their work. Never know.:bigblue:

Actually, I quite agree. And I quite like your attitude about research, too. I decided from a very early age that it was cool to know stuff. (Hence, the quote in my sig file.) ;)

Rasari
January 24th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Oh, I don't know... Sweet nothings can sure spur growth in certain-- oops, wait a sec... Is this forum moderated???

haha, I do believe it is.

Actually, I quite agree. And I quite like your attitude about research, too. I decided from a very early age that it was cool to know stuff. (Hence, the quote in my sig file.) ;)

I certainly agree with the quote. Nothing cheers me up more than learning something new, trying something new or doing research. Well, aside from good friends, family, the heathen cats, the hubby and a cup of coffee. Then again, All of that tends to lead toward new lessons, experiences and research. So it becomes quite an active circle. :)