PDA

View Full Version : Obama supporter warns Clinton over 'racism'

Laisrean
January 22nd, 2008, 02:43 AM
Link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/19/wuspols719.xml)

One of Barack Obama's most fervent supporters has warned Hillary Clinton that "racist" comments by the former First Lady will deny her the support of black voters in South Carolina - the next White House battleground.

Edith Childs, the black councillor who has become a talisman for Obama's campaign after giving him his "Fired Up! Ready To Go!" campaign slogan, said black voters in her home state were "insulted" by Mrs Clinton's attempts last week to downplay the role of Martin Luther King in the passage of civil rights legislation.

Apparently Ron Paul isn't the only "racist" candidate running. As we should all know by now, if you're white you're inherently "racist" no matter what you say or do and Mrs. Clinton is no exception to that rule.

Philosophia
January 22nd, 2008, 03:00 AM
Apparently Ron Paul isn't the only "racist" candidate running. As we should all know by now, if you're white you're inherently "racist" no matter what you say or do and Mrs. Clinton is no exception to that rule.

*sigh*

While its pathetic to call people "racist" for having different views, its not any different then other politically charged attacks by candidates and their supporters. In Obama's case, Bill Clinton called his dream of being president a "fairy tale" and Hilary's comments regarding MLK wasn't the smartest move she's ever made. The racist card was going to come up sooner or later, just like any other religious, moral, ethnic, etc. issue that the candidates feel should be pounced upon and attacked.

Laisrean
January 22nd, 2008, 03:58 AM
*sigh*

While its pathetic to call people "racist" for having different views, its not any different then other politically charged attacks by candidates and their supporters. In Obama's case, Bill Clinton called his dream of being president a "fairy tale" and Hilary's comments regarding MLK wasn't the smartest move she's ever made. The racist card was going to come up sooner or later, just like any other religious, moral, ethnic, etc. issue that the candidates feel should be pounced upon and attacked.

I agree. I think that if Obama became the Democratic nominee then you'll be hearing allegations of racism directed against the Republican nominee (no matter which of those it ends up being). Like it or not, that is definitely a card Obama can use to his advantage. He has a nearly complete monopoly on the minority votes, and a white male or even a white female has little hope in competing with that demographic.

While I don't think Hillary's words were true, I don't think they were inherently racist either. I think Hillary is a statist who believes that only the government is capable of improving society, and since MLK, Jr. wasn't a member of government, she would naturally trivialize his influence. I don't think it was anything personal or anything racist; it's just she has a strong bias in favor of the state over the individual and that's why she credited Johnson over MLK, Jr.

Philosophia
January 22nd, 2008, 04:16 AM
I agree. I think that if Obama became the Democratic nominee then you'll be hearing allegations of racism directed against the Republican nominee (no matter which of those it ends up being). Like it or not, that is definitely a card Obama can use to his advantage. He has a nearly complete monopoly on the minority votes, and a white male or even a white female has little hope in competing with that demographic.

I agree. But I do think this can backfire on him if he focuses on the race issue in a negative manner. Many "black" Americans aren't going to support a candidate that uses the race card to his advantage unless its used in a positive way, i.e. targeting issues that affect the minority community, etc.. I don't think that he is entirely blame for the race issue. I think that some of the opponents, especially Hilary, are using his race against him.

While I don't think Hillary's words were true, I don't think they were inherently racist either. I think Hillary is a statist who believes that only the government is capable of improving society, and since MLK, Jr. wasn't a member of government, she would naturally trivialize his influence. I don't think it was anything personal or anything racist; it's just she has a strong bias in favor of the state over the individual and that's why she credited Johnson over MLK, Jr.

I agree but it was incredibly stupid thing to say, especially so close to MLK day. I can definitely see where people are getting upset about the comments since MLK has such a huge influence on the Civil rights movement. But I also don't think it was racist either. Just extremely misinformed.

Valnorran
January 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
But her ability to charge sexism ought to level the playing field. ;)

banondraig
January 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
But her ability to charge sexism ought to level the playing field. ;)

:lol:

Not really, though. That might work once we have women serving in combat, and don't think of male nannies as something weird and suspicious.

Wicce
January 22nd, 2008, 04:12 PM

I completely disagree. We've already had Sharpton as a candidate, and the majority of the electorate does NOT want a repeat run. if he overloads on the racism charges, they will get tired of it very quickly and it will be damaging to his campaign. same with Hillary and sexism. it can happen once in awhile, but if it becomes a continual issue, people will get mighty tired of it.

Laisrean
January 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
I completely disagree.

Since your post was a response to mine I'm not at all surprised by this. :p