PDA

View Full Version : Mystery figure found on Red Planet!

Laisrean
January 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=509693&in_page_id=1770)

Perched on a rock, she could be waiting for a bus.

But if so, she could be in for an awfully long wait.

This photo of what looks remarkably like a female figure with her arm outstretched, was taken on Mars.

They say Mars once had an Ocean of liquid water on its surface, so my theory is that this is a mermaid who perched herself on a rock and then suddenly the oceans froze up or dried up and she was left frozen and mummified in that state. :spinnysmi

Xentor
January 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
I'd like to see that from a couple different angles.

Trithemius
January 23rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Just the shadowed face of a rock, nothing more. People want to believe in this stuff so badly that all sense of logic and reason flies out the window.

Philosophia
January 23rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Could be just a normal rock that looks like a human. People find familiar shapes in anything, i.e. clouds, shadows, stones, pieces of bread, etc..

WokeUpDead
January 23rd, 2008, 11:28 PM
Bigfoot!

EvieLee
January 24th, 2008, 01:22 AM
One of the comments posted in response to that link =
"She saw the explorer coming, and thought she would hitchhike!"
:lol:

MockingbirdOxygen
January 24th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I saw the pic on CNN last night, and thought it was... interesting.

One of the comments posted in response to that link =
"She saw the explorer coming, and thought she would hitchhike!"
:lol:

:falloffch

Brings to mind that "Delta Dawn" song for me! :veryweird

thought_on_a_wind
January 26th, 2008, 03:18 AM
In '86 a seasoned hiker that had trekked the Himalayans for quite a while snapped the attached photo, because he believed it to be yeti. He swore up and down that it wasn't a natural part of the landscape because he knew that part of the range in and out. Everybody got excited at this new piece of indisputable proof, analasys was done twice, and the experts confirmed that it was undoctored. When some skeptics took a hike our there to validfy his claim, they realized that it was nothing more than a rock formation, later that year Woolridge concurred his err.

I'm not saying that mars pic is a mis-identification, but if you look at the pic below hard enough it doesn't look exactly like a rock formation either. Of course when it comes to mars we've thought of anything and everything as to what the martians are, how fertile the land was, and the social structure, pecking order, and the way that we get communications from them (early part of the 1900's). 'Course, if that is a martian I'd like to be the first to toss a couple of brews back with 'em (providing that the stuff isn't like arsenic to them)... Hell, I might even be able ta get a date on Mars.:boing:

Liberty
January 26th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Looks like a woman but I'd like to see a close up of that figure.

Humming Bird
January 26th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=509693&in_page_id=1770)

They say Mars once had an Ocean of liquid water on its surface, so my theory is that this is a mermaid who perched herself on a rock and then suddenly the oceans froze up or dried up and she was left frozen and mummified in that state. :spinnysmi

wow, if thats not photoshoped, and thats not girl there, thats the coolest rock formation I've ever seen :lol:

Edit:

Brings to mind that "Delta Dawn" song for me!

Delta Dawn, whats that flower you got on... is it a ...something from days gon by... I don't remember the rest...lalalala

@WokeUpDead, if only we still had the quote box... I'd so quote that ......

Caitlin.ann
January 26th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I think its just a rock as well, although it is quite an interesting photo. :)

BlueSage
January 26th, 2008, 02:12 PM
it does resemble a human imho.

i think it's an astronaut that became solidified under the immense heat and pressure there.

Lyrien
January 26th, 2008, 03:22 PM
They found Jesus!!!!

I'm going to go with the rock formation idea, if there really were people just sitting around on Mars, we'd have seen more than one. And most likely wouldn't have that explorer there anymore; it would have been dismantled and investigated. Or in the event of the presence of prehistoric peoples, it would now be prayed to or beat up. LOL

ETA: I say rock because the base of the human figure has the same color and striations as the surrounding rocks. The hand, that is of a different color, if removed from the picture, eliminates the arm of the person and throws the arm back into the surrounding body. The different color of the hand is similar to the background color and could be a rock formation in the background. The head is also the same color as the rock formations and the body of the figure. The only thing that bothers me about the head is that it doesn't share the same lighting/shadowing properties as the rock formations next to the figure, or the figure itself. That would lead me to believe that it too is something in the background.

Lyrien
January 26th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Of course now that I look at it longer, it kind of looks like the woman is pointing to that baby sleeping on the rocks below her. LOL

Amilee
January 26th, 2008, 08:39 PM
lol! Dude I totally see the baby! Yeah, I'd love a close up and a few more angle shots but if it's a simple rock formation it's amazing. In the future I can imagine it becoming a famous statue on our terraformed new homeworld.

Sigh...gosh I love Sci Fi!

aluokaloo
March 12th, 2008, 05:49 PM
It's Venus! haha! well look at some of the fantastic and downright bizzare natural formations here on earth that we can identify as familiar things. It doesn't look like a rock formation. But if it isn't doctored it's still a prettyb cool photo, and rock formation.

Sequoia
March 16th, 2008, 11:13 PM
It's... a rock. I don't see the hubub about it. It's just a rock. Have people never seen a natural rock formation before? :lol: