PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing on your homestead now?

alwaysfallingup
January 25th, 2008, 02:27 AM
One of the things that I've always loved about farming and living close to the earth is that each season brings its own particular jobs and has its own unique rhythms. So, what are you doing on your homestead now? I'm sure it's different in each continent, country, and even growing zones depending on climate. Is it breeding time for your animals? Planting time for your crops? Harvest time for your orchards?

Right now, here in southern Illinois, I'm looking at seed catalogues and dreaming about spring. I'm also thinking about what to plant and considering buying some grow lights to start things inside (I admit, I'm not good with seeds so I usually start with plants instead). I'm also getting ready to make a couple of batches of soap now that I can get my lye again. I'm trying to meet my Self Reliance goals for this year and am doing pretty well at that so far (see my thread here in this forum about that). I'm also hoarding away money so that we can have a really good down payment when we find the perfect spot for us. So, right now is a pretty slow time for us on the homesteading front, since we're not really homesteading yet. :)

But what about you? What are you doing on your homestead right now?

Tanya
January 25th, 2008, 05:28 AM
its getting to be atish summer here... tomatoes are starting to come on.. lots of beans and zuchinnis...some nights there is a nip in the air... and I'm thining of what I will put in in the fall... tree wise.. next year.. figs. and more cherries.

wtching my winter squashes.. wondering if there will be enough raind to set their fruit... my lime looks like it will fruit.. and I have a half dozen lemons... the first I've ever grown.

:)

Shanti
January 25th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Um, let me see. It was -11F last night. We have a good foot of snow on the ground.

Well the mate has been keeping up in the wood chopping for the woodburner.

This month we had 3 kiddings. (goats born)

I have been busy spinning yarn like crazy...want to get a large blanket weaved this spring.

We have been planning for our veggy/herb garden.

We have totally stopped buying meat of any kind from the store now that we provide our own.
Now, we are trying to eliminate all veggy and herb stuff from the store too.
Spices are way to darn expensive. For one small jar of dried basil, I can grow a crop of the stuff and have baggies full!

So being January and in the heart of the coldest part of the year...we are planning and thinking and staying as warm as possible and diddling around.

Oh and we finally found a great source for the large rounds of hay!!!
We have 1 ton sitting out on our hay trailer. :)
The critters are knee deep in hay!

alwaysfallingup
January 25th, 2008, 07:12 PM
its getting to be atish summer here... tomatoes are starting to come on.. lots of beans and zuchinnis...some nights there is a nip in the air... and I'm thining of what I will put in in the fall... tree wise.. next year.. figs. and more cherries.

wtching my winter squashes.. wondering if there will be enough raind to set their fruit... my lime looks like it will fruit.. and I have a half dozen lemons... the first I've ever grown.

:)

Right now, it's in the single digits temp-wise here, and I can only imagine picking a ripe tomato...*sigh*

Hurry, spring!

alwaysfallingup
January 25th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Um, let me see. It was -11F last night. We have a good foot of snow on the ground.

Well the mate has been keeping up in the wood chopping for the woodburner.

This month we had 3 kiddings. (goats born)

I have been busy spinning yarn like crazy...want to get a large blanket weaved this spring.

We have been planning for our veggy/herb garden.

We have totally stopped buying meat of any kind from the store now that we provide our own.
Now, we are trying to eliminate all veggy and herb stuff from the store too.
Spices are way to darn expensive. For one small jar of dried basil, I can grow a crop of the stuff and have baggies full!

So being January and in the heart of the coldest part of the year...we are planning and thinking and staying as warm as possible and diddling around.

Oh and we finally found a great source for the large rounds of hay!!!
We have 1 ton sitting out on our hay trailer. :)
The critters are knee deep in hay!

It sounds like you guys are doing great! I wish we were as far along as you are, but I know that our little house in a small town was the right choice for us to start out with, because we could afford the payments while we both went to school, and now we have something to sell unlike if we had just rented.

Congrats on your baby goats! I looooove baby goats.

We'd really like to provide our own meat, but I'm not sure if I could slaughter, honestly. I've been there for pig-killings, deer-dressings, and more, but I was always the go-for, bringing knives, buckets, etc. Never the one who did the killing and cutting. And I'm almost positive Preston couldn't do it--he's a tender-hearted, squeamish-tummied city boy. ;) For now, I'm planning on dairy goats and chickens for eggs, and see if I can work my way up from there.

Diotima
January 29th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I'm living in Southern Finland. I have ordered seeds, drawn a layout of our next summer's vegetable patch and we have also cut down a couple of our old, rotten trees (our garden is orchard-type).
DH chops wood, and we heat our woodstoves (almost) daily. I spend a lot of time sewing and doing other crafts (knit, crochet, cross stitch). I sew all my own clothes, household items and also a little for DH.
We are steadily consuming foods we have canned and stored for winter.

And of course, eagerly waiting for the end of February when our garden year begins with the big task of pruning all our apple trees! It takes a month to prune them all, so we start early.

Crystal Raven
March 14th, 2008, 08:21 AM
here's where we are now (though may seem silly to some, sorry)
we have gathered our debt information and have started paying them off (so we are now only $3,000.00 away from owning our own home) and I have started switching all our cleaning products over to homemade, so far we've replaced window cleaner, dishwasher soap, laundry soap oh and wood filler lol. I have found a recipe for homemade catfood and thats next on the list.

Shanti
March 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Spring has arrived!!

Let see..its spring butchering time. That will go on for awhile, we are doing an animal a week.

Its spring cleaning inside. What cant be washed gets vacuumed...from for to ceiling everything is washed that can be and vacuumed that cant.

We still are frozen on the ground in areas so manure piles don't get moved to the garden areas yet. That will be in a few weeks.

Stalls get a major cleaning out in the next few weeks. Again, garden gold.

We already moved animals to stop matings now till next fall.

Goat kidding is over but lambing season is one month away.

We are getting ready to sell some goat kids that have been weaned.

In WI planting is the first week of may.
Only a few cold crops go in the ground in April.
Its March, we still can get major snow storms.

A lot of work now is inside yet, but all the inside work has to get done before April.
April will be busy as heck with stall cleaning, sheep shearing and prepping for planting.

Monday we go get 3 Boer goats cause we are switching from Pygmies to only Boers.
All we want now is Boer goats for meat and our heritage sheep for fiber.
Oh our one Angora goat and cashmere goat stay.
With times getting hard, we need the best production to care for my family.
So if it doesn't dress out good for meat, and it doesn't have a lot of fiber, we don't want it right now. Cost has gone too high. Cost efficiency has become the priority.

Shanti
March 21st, 2008, 10:02 AM
We finally had some spring weather move in.
It was great.
We got a lot of the outdoors stuff cleaned up from winter, log piles, scrap wood piles, fixed fences, took a load of the winter garbage collection to the dump finally.
And best of all, our Boer doe came into heat and we tossed up a breeding pen and put Ruby and Little Boy together to make little Boers and it went perfect!
Little Boy was a gentleman. Ruby liked him.
Perfect match!!!
We should have kids Aug 17th or so.

We moved some of the animals for spring....getting ready for lambing in April.

Then, after such a perfect few days....a major snowstorm is now here!!
Yuk!!!
I'm not surprised as this is Wisconsin..but darn does it suck after such a nice few spring days.

So spring cleaning and prepping has again been put on hold due to winter rearing its white head once again. :(

Cindlady2
March 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
After the tornado in January..... I figure we should have another snow storm come June!
Don't 'ya love Wisconsin?! We should be getting 12 -15" here.

TheWomanMonster
March 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
My homestead *ahem ahem the apartment* is hitting spring now too.
I have potting soil ready and going to plant some garden boxes on the balcony as soon as we know spring is here for good (when the snow in the hills goes bye bye and the water turns brown).

Tanya
March 21st, 2008, 04:14 PM
Well... 4 day weekend the push is on....

Fencing my herb garden as I've been planting in vegies and the chikens and peacock are eating all my tomatos and diggging the potatoes.

Also 'cause I'm the random gardener..I plonk plants I have where ever there is space and for years this has been great but now.. well,... there are parts of my garden I can bearly get to on foot... its either a helocopter or I get a few stepping stones that will MAKE me acknowledge that ever square inch CAN'T be planted and I expect to get to it to harvest or water it...

THEN there is the digging of the asparagus patch.... thats gonna be a big job... and have to find rootstock.

AND watering.. it asn't rained in 2 weeks!

And apples to process... somehow... about 50 lb!

And more citrus trees to lay in.

and planning for what rootstock i want this fall.. lots of nuts.. if I can get em.

and I'm behind on baking for everyone's lunches (I bake and freeze cookies and quickbreads for snacks... but I haven't been home for 2 weekends so my supply is greatly diminished....)

sometime this weekend the pea hens are arriving and we need to get accomodation for them up....

whew... and all the normal houswork, laundry, and chicken house and rabbit hutch cleaning and toilet emptying (composting toilet!)

then... well... I'm planing to pencil in a nervous breakdown....

alwaysfallingup
March 21st, 2008, 04:17 PM
then... well... I'm planing to pencil in a nervous breakdown....

:lol: Well, as long as it's scheduled in....

banondraig
March 27th, 2008, 01:46 PM
i'm still trying to figure out where to plant my peas.

alwaysfallingup
May 15th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Yay! I feel really excited to finally get to post a little something in this thread!:boing:

Yesterday, we planted the majority of my vegetable garden. We're doing a lasagna gardening-style system of raised beds, so I'm thinking that I might add another bed or two and a few more veggies. I also did some flower planting, because we have a bed that was already built on the front of the house and it looked a little bare (there are tons of perennials here but I suspect that was where they put their annuals in each year), so I did some petunias and begonias there. I think tomorrow I'll finish putting in the rest of my herb bed.

A little longer term project I'm getting ready to start on is cleaning out and repairing the barn. I'm trying to figure out a good way to store all the lumber that is in there (these farm folks never throw anything away!) in such a way that it doesn't house varmints, snakes, etc and isn't a risk to children and animals. I'm thinking some sort of raised rack that I can stack it in might be good, but I need the barn emptied so that I can start figuring out animal housing. My dad suggested that we remove two of the wings (which are in danger of falling in), but said that the center was sound like I thought it was. He suggested that we cover what's left with the metal used as the roofing on the wings to recycle it and make the barn more weather-sound. That will ruin the charming antique look of the barn but will make it a lot more functional for us. So, I feel a little torn, but I think that practicality may have to win out in this case. *sigh*

I'm amazed by how much we've gotten done, but also by how much there is to do! One step at a time, right?:weirdsmil

Tanya
May 22nd, 2008, 11:01 PM
600 trees have arrived at my farm, for FREE

so now I've just got to put them in.

I've got a plan.... and a post hole digger... for the next 2 weekends, I will dig out the holes of last year's trees that croaked, and dig up all winld roses, leaving a nice big hole. Meanwhile my 'babies' can harden off... then planting.. whooo hooo!!!

Shanti
May 23rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Tending the house!
I am out of commission for awhile. Poor mate, he is stuck with the bulk of animal and land duties right now.
A few days ago our ram, rammed me right in my back. With my spinal defects and all that he really caused me some major probs. Then I stepped on a spike and it went through my foot. Between the 2 incidents...housework for me for awhile!

Yuk, I hate house work.

Cindlady2
May 24th, 2008, 06:28 AM
OUCH!!! Well, get well soon. I'm sure the rest of the animals miss you.

materra
May 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Geeze, it hurts me just to think about it. Warm (and gentle) hugs sent. Universal Energy on its way for healing. Please let us know how things are going.

alwaysfallingup
May 25th, 2008, 03:37 PM
600 trees have arrived at my farm, for FREE

so now I've just got to put them in.

I've got a plan.... and a post hole digger... for the next 2 weekends, I will dig out the holes of last year's trees that croaked, and dig up all winld roses, leaving a nice big hole. Meanwhile my 'babies' can harden off... then planting.. whooo hooo!!!

Wow, that's a lot of trees! Is the "free" part related to some sort of conservation program in your area, or did you just somehow luck into a bunch of free trees?

alwaysfallingup
May 25th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Tending the house!
I am out of commission for awhile. Poor mate, he is stuck with the bulk of animal and land duties right now.
A few days ago our ram, rammed me right in my back. With my spinal defects and all that he really caused me some major probs. Then I stepped on a spike and it went through my foot. Between the 2 incidents...housework for me for awhile!

Yuk, I hate house work.

Yikes! I hope you get feeling better and back on your feet and back outside soon! :hugz:

Shanti
May 25th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys.
I got out today and with my mates help I got mom sheep sheared!!! She so needed a finishing and redo. Poor girl looked like a rag doll. Now she feels all good and looks all pretty! :)
This second shearing isnt spinnable so my next task to try.....getting the lanolin!

I was hoping to take a break from life to do a little spiritual work out in one of the fields, but some severe storms rolled in a little too quick.

We have the fields all growing free. We are using the lawnmower and sickle to bring the pasture to the animals. Its hard but we don't want free grazing and stripping of the land so its also worth it. We have tons of swamp maple seedlings trying to grow and we need the trees to help preserve our marshes.
Plus nature provides so many herbs, AKA weeds. I dont want the animals grazing everything anymore.

Our gardens are growing too and looking sweet. They need a weeding though. That I hope to tackle after the rains pass by. The critters will be happy getting the weeds.

Cindlady2
May 26th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Well, with our landscaper landlord who keeps doing stuff to the yard, (none of which is to our benefit) and the road construction over the last couple of years we can't seem to get a garden in! Now we hopefully will move by fall so it's a pot garden again!
I got 5 tomato plants and 5 bell pepper plants a few days ago and today at Sam's club the had pots that had 6 kinds of herbs and a large tomato plant in them, so I got 1 of them too!
I just got to get my big pots together and get more soil.

alwaysfallingup
May 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I've talked to my dad, and he's agreed to come and bale our fields for us. The folks we bought the house from hadn't mowed at all this year, and it was insane mowing it this first time. We've decided that there's no reason to mow all three acres as lawn, and until we get the animals and fencing, there's no need for grazing, so we're just going to mow our front yard and a bit of a back yard and then let my dad bale the rest of it for us. He said that he would do it in square bales for us (he bales his in the big round bales) so that I can store them in the barn loft and move them by myself.

The grass is thick and healthy here, and we can probably get several cuttings off it, so we have the potential for 150+ bales off two cuttings, my dad estimates. We're probably going to give him half, though, both for doing the cutting and for keep on our black Angus cow, Luna, who lives with them. Now, I just have to get the barn cleaned out so we have a place to put it!

Shanti
June 7th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Well we are still moving goat pens.
The new pens are being built in the pines so the goats have shade, wind, rain and snow protection. The snow never accumulates much in the pines but in the old pens out in the fields...the goats were snowed into their shelters!

It a slow work in progress as my mate is building the fencing out of pallets, which we get for free and using our old field fencing across the front of the pens. So we have to wait for his company he works at to have the pallets for us, then he has to build the fences a little at a time as he gets more pallets.

On the chicken and duck note. I have now separated the broilers from the dual birds and have them in a separate area as we get them ready for freezer camp. They are almost big enough.
We have hatched out 3 unrelated Muscovy's to start a second trio. My goal is for 2 sets of trios that are unrelated for breeding.

We are working on hatching out chickens, have several now, to replace the lousier layers in the main coop.

Our ewe lamb Inara, is growing like a weed. I have to get a new pic up. She is almost as tall as mom and starting to graze with mom. She is still a dream come true. I love her more and more as she grows. My pride in mom is immense! When she suckles now, she has to lay down on all 4 legs in order to fit under mom. LOL
We have been giving her little amounts of grain by hand to help with taming her. She is finally trusting us enough to eat out of our hand.
We will begin catching her and holding her in the shearing position while petting her all over so she gets used to it for the future. That's what we did with mom and she is real easy to handle for shearing.

The gardens are growing ok. Late start here as it didn't get warm till this past week. The late frost didn't hurt anything and I also used everything I could find to cover all the plats. I used sheets, blankets, even pillow cases and towels till I literally ran out of things to cover the plants with. But heck, it was worth it. No losses!
A hail storm took out our lettuce though. Of course the warm weather didn't come gently.

So all is good and busy as usual. :)

Oh and we got our ram in his own pen now. He finally became a ram!! He is only 1 year but his instincts to keep everything and everyone away from his ewe and lamb have taken over.
He butted me in my back one day a few weeks ago when I was sitting on the ground doing a little hand trimming on the ewe. I got hurt and that was the signal, a tad late, to pen him up. My mate was with me but didn't see it coming either. I knew better. My bad.
He knocked my spine in such away that my birth defected area was messed up from the blow. So now I have some new probs as a result that will stay with me.
But its ok. Adapting is my specialty.
And a lesson well learned. Dont think its ok to push risk even for a second!
I'm lucky. It could of been a lot worse. He does have 4 horns.
I get a point for stupid sometimes too. :weirdsmil

Cindlady2
June 7th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Glad you didn't get hurt too badly. A cousin of mine almost lost a lung when a young ram rammed him! Good thing my uncle's dog was there to help him!

alwaysfallingup
June 14th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Summertime...and the living, if not exactly easy, is deeply, deeply satisfying.

I've gotten two of the three rooms painted that I wanted to paint (thanks to help from my little sister). My garden is doing wonderfully and I already have little green tomatoes making an appearance. I love being here and living this life.

Right now, my big project is cleaning out the barn, which is stuffed with 100 years worth of hoarding. It's pretty exhausting. I'm sorting into piles of lumber to use down the road, trash, metal for recycling, and things I want to keep. It's kind of like being an archeologist. I'm finding a lot of interesting things from days gone by, including antique furniture, farming implements, and dishes, and notably, a huge painted sign that says in fancy, antique lettering, "Tonight only, the _________ Players!" I wish I could make out what kind of players they were, but apparently it was painted in a very light color and I can't read it.

The barn floor is piled at least three-four feet deep through the entirety of the first floor with lumber, pipes, and miscellaneous leftovers. I've made a good start over the past two days, but there's still a lot to go. It's really hot, dusty, and spidery work. Some of the furniture and antiques I'm planning on keeping. I've now got to figure out what to do with the room full of coal which I plan on turning into my chicken coop. What do you do with a room full of coal?

If anyone in the southern Illinois area has any little projects they're working on and want some lumber (2x4's, trim, all sorts of stuff), come by sometime in the next week and load up a truck full. Seriously, even if you're just wanting some camp fire fodder, this stuff isn't treated and is nice and dry from being stored in a barn, so come enjoy the bounty and help me get a nice clean spot to house my goats!

Also, I'm going to look at goats tomorrow morning! Yay! If there are some goats that I just can't leave behind, I think I'm going to do a temporary pen for them and then put them in the garage at night to keep them safe. Wish me luck in goat selection! Any advice on finding just the right ones?

Tanya
June 15th, 2008, 03:06 AM
put in my winter garden, brassicas mostly and peas.

planted my two precious and expensve pistachios and 2 tea bushes (as in for the drink)

Shanti
June 15th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Since we have had all this rain and it looks like it will be a long time before we dry out, there isnt a whole lot to do right now.
So I am working on making our goat rawhide so my mate can make his drums and other things.
In between that and the daily chores, I am cleaning more fibers in prep for more spinning.

Cindlady2
June 15th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Hubby almost bought me a loom, but we have no place to put it right now:( Hope we can find one after we find a new place. (Still looking for a place to buy!)

alwaysfallingup
June 20th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Hubby almost bought me a loom, but we have no place to put it right now:( Hope we can find one after we find a new place. (Still looking for a place to buy!)

I know how it is to have absolutely no more room. Stick with it! I know you'll find just the right place! :thumbsup:

Cindlady2
June 23rd, 2008, 12:42 AM
Grrrrrr we looked at a near perfect place today! The house was a little small and only had 1 bath (with all the health issues in this family we need at least 1.5) but we could work that out. The great thing was it's 2.5 acres and already has a chicken coup!!! It's between a working farm and a horse farm. Lots of new stuff in and out! But, grrrrrr, it's just out of our price range. :( The realty lady said they are not pressured to move so will be holding out for their price. Grrrrrrrrrr Oh well... the search goes on! My house has to be out there somewhere!

mephistopheles
June 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Grrrrrr we looked at a near perfect place today! The house was a little small and only had 1 bath (with all the health issues in this family we need at least 1.5) but we could work that out. The great thing was it's 2.5 acres and already has a chicken coup!!! It's between a working farm and a horse farm. Lots of new stuff in and out! But, grrrrrr, it's just out of our price range. :( The realty lady said they are not pressured to move so will be holding out for their price. Grrrrrrrrrr Oh well... the search goes on! My house has to be out there somewhere!

What area are you looking in? www.unitedcountry.com has a lot of farmish listings. I spend half the day on there :lol:

Cindlady2
June 24th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks mephistopheles! Only 2 places on the site close to us. :( That would work for us.

We are going to look at 2 places tonight but I think 1 is going to be out of our price range.

We have been looking for things we will need at our new place (when we find it) and we now have a rototiller and hubby just got a used garden tractor! It has a 42" mower and a plow with it! $50 and it runs and works fine! It's not even that old (about 4 years and not used for at least 1)

Just need a lawn to use it on!

Shanti
June 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks mephistopheles! Only 2 places on the site close to us. :( That would work for us.

We are going to look at 2 places tonight but I think 1 is going to be out of our price range.

We have been looking for things we will need at our new place (when we find it) and we now have a rototiller and hubby just got a used garden tractor! It has a 42" mower and a plow with it! $50 and it runs and works fine! It's not even that old (about 4 years and not used for at least 1)

I know right now, in town housing has fallen in price, but anything in the country has exploded in price.
Rural land right now is at a high. Its getting nuts.
Its because of ethanol. Any land that can possibly grow corn is high because people want to turn a quick profit, even though in reality...its not working that way.

But patients hon. It took 3 years and we stopped looking when we found our place. We didn't think we would find an7thing affordable.
We looked at this place when it first went up for sale. It was double what we got it for.
We couldn't afford the range being asked so we did nothing.
A year later we saw it up on foreclosure. We got it for what was truly affordable for us. We never expected we get a place, especially this one, which we had fallen in love with.

When its right, it will happen. Keep looking. Just dont give up.

mephistopheles
June 24th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Keep checking it, they update it a lot. :p

Cindlady2
June 25th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I am even thinking about putting an add in the paper stating what we are looking for. I, at the very least, want chickens! We looked at a place today. It's only 1 acre but the house is good and it has 2 out buildings. The big drawback is the train track runs along the back!Hummm

So many farms around here are going to sub-divisions! grrrrrr!!!!
What really pisses me off is when that happens you get a bunch of rich city people come in and build big fancy houses. Then they complain that the other farms around them stink. So the farmers have to accommodate or sell out. Then they complain that there's not enough shopping, and on and on. And because they now have the money and bring in higher taxes.... they get what the want! Next thing you know.... your living in a city suburb! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't like the country..... DON'T MOVE THERE!!!!

Shanti
June 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I am even thinking about putting an add in the paper stating what we are looking for. I, at the very least, want chickens! We looked at a place today. It's only 1 acre but the house is good and it has 2 out buildings. The big drawback is the train track runs along the back!Hummm

So many farms around here are going to sub-divisions! grrrrrr!!!!
What really pisses me off is when that happens you get a bunch of rich city people come in and build big fancy houses. Then they complain that the other farms around them stink. So the farmers have to accommodate or sell out. Then they complain that there's not enough shopping, and on and on. And because they now have the money and bring in higher taxes.... they get what the want! Next thing you know.... your living in a city suburb! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't like the country..... DON'T MOVE THERE!!!!
I was fuming when that rural subdivision thing started in WI years ago. I watched the farm fields get chopped up and hated it.
Now many of the happy acres subdivisions are sitting with foreclosure signs and empty lots no one can afford.
And now we need more land for crops but dont have enough!

I hate city people coming to the country and just having fits about the country!
Gosh, with this stupid campground north of us, we have had people complain about the baaing of the goats and sheep! But their all night drunken parties, music, and noise is ok! The campground also has a bar in its center and they blast piped in country music!
I got p'oed at some people last weekend and told them if they dont like the sounds of the country, go back to the city! I have to live here, they just visit!
My animals call once a day at feeding time.
Their noise ( campgrounds) goes on all night Fri-Sun and sometimes during the week.
I have no idea who would want to camp literally surrounded by farm land! Its just stupid. They are not even camping.
They have RV's and many even have satellite tv on them!
They could do the same crap at home.
I hate to tell them with cows on 3 sides of them and our goats and sheep on one side, they will never escape country sounds!

I loath stupid people.

Can you tell this was not a good topic for me? :weirdsmil

Cindlady2
June 26th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Much of the woods and fields I played in are now full of houses! And true, contractors kept building bigger and fancier houses! I kept wondering were the money was coming from.... guess allot of people had eyes bigger than their pockets! Now the land is lost and people can't find affordable housing!

Oh well..... sorry I got off topic. I just get frustrated.

Shanti
June 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I'm only doing the chores I have too right now.
We all got hit with a nasty summer virus so activity is minimal.

Yuk.

But, this too shall pass. :)

alwaysfallingup
July 1st, 2008, 01:18 AM
I remember how much I hated doing chores when I was little, and how I'd put it off and fight it and whine. And now, watering my garden and feeding my goats and mowing the lawn is FUN! Weird!

My first little cherry tomatoes are turning red and ripe, and my goats are starting to like me. Aurora and Estrella make soft little noises when they see me in the yard, looking for a snack or a scratch. It's really satisfying and makes me feel good. Now, if I could just catch THAT DAMN GOAT!

Cindlady2
July 1st, 2008, 04:00 AM
It's more fun now because it's YOURS! :)

Wood Nymph
July 1st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Right now, we have a reasonable sized garden that I'm weeding daily to feed to the goats - they especially relish the lamb's quarters and rag weed. So the garden feeds them not only crops, but even the weeds are crops. Some of the weeds are, of course, really useful herbs, so I am drying some for later use.

I'm also collecting the little green apples that self-prune from the orchard trees and giving those to the goats. The goats also get all of the prunings from the orchard.

Our big project right now is fence building. It seems every summer some fence needs to be replaced!

We have chicks brooding. They will need a new chicken house soon.

That's been enough to keep me out of mischief so far this summer. Then, we'll be coming up on canning season!

mephistopheles
July 3rd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Much of the woods and fields I played in are now full of houses! And true, contractors kept building bigger and fancier houses! I kept wondering were the money was coming from.... guess allot of people had eyes bigger than their pockets! Now the land is lost and people can't find affordable housing!

Oh well..... sorry I got off topic. I just get frustrated.

I am only 18 and I have seen almost 90% of my once rural, backwoods town become a multitude of subdivisions and shopping centers >.< Thank heavens we moved from there, though its heartbreaking to see what used to be so and so's barn is now a Meijer or Kohls or whatever.

Shanti
July 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
We may have had way to much rain and a late start to spring this year, but darn......
The gardens are doing great!!!:boing:

Peas and Beans are in pod.
Squash, cukes, watermelons are in full flower.
Cabbage looks fantastic.
Potatoes are great.

Heck, everything in the gardens is doing fine! :)

I think a few things saved this year.

1. I planted up on our higher, sand based land. (the lower land is heavy loam and sand and stays wet a long time, the upper is sand/light soil that drains quickly. )

2. We built raised beds and filled them with our own compost giving the plants a good top soil. So we have a good top soil on top of fast draining sandy soil. All this rain but it couldn't keep my plants water logged.

3. Our fertilizer has been all natural goat and rabbit poo.

If we get dry during our hot dog days of summer, I am prepared for mulching with nicely used straw thats recycled from the animals shelters.

This is much better than last year. I didnt know the land last year and planted to low. Everything got flooded out and we lost it all. Last year we had a 100 year flood.

Wood Nymph
July 3rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
This is my second growing season on this land too. Last year, the sandy soil had not yet been amended, and the garden was the worst I've ever grown. But we collected all of the horse manure that we could from the pasture (and some of the goat manure, although their little pellets disappear into the pasture much more readily). We spread that out on the site of our garden-spot-to-be and let it age in the sun. Once aged, we ran a mower over it to pulverize it (that was a fun task :smileroll). Then in the autumn, we gathered leaves and piled those on our new garden spot. And, we added compost that had been cooking all summer.

This spring, after that mix had sat and aged some more through the winter, we ran a mower again over the whole spot, as a cheap way of shredding everything there. And then we tilled it under. And it was *almost* like instant loam. This soil has gone from the worst I've ever gardened to some of the best, in just one year. I'm excited about how the soil will be in a few years. The crops are growing great despite the cool wet spring. Even the corn (a dent corn for grinding into cornmeal) is doing great.

Right now, I'm still trying to recover, physically, from our fencing project. We need to get at it again. There is so much to do! I don't know if my body can hold up, though. I'm definitely not as young as I used to be. Many days I still feel like a girl. Then, I can feel like an old woman. Middle age is rough. :giggle:

Shanti
July 3rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
This is my second growing season on this land too. Last year, the sandy soil had not yet been amended, and the garden was the worst I've ever grown. But we collected all of the horse manure that we could from the pasture (and some of the goat manure, although their little pellets disappear into the pasture much more readily). We spread that out on the site of our garden-spot-to-be and let it age in the sun. Once aged, we ran a mower over it to pulverize it (that was a fun task :smileroll). Then in the autumn, we gathered leaves and piled those on our new garden spot. And, we added compost that had been cooking all summer.

This spring, after that mix had sat and aged some more through the winter, we ran a mower again over the whole spot, as a cheap way of shredding everything there. And then we tilled it under. And it was *almost* like instant loam. This soil has gone from the worst I've ever gardened to some of the best, in just one year. I'm excited about how the soil will be in a few years. The crops are growing great despite the cool wet spring. Even the corn (a dent corn for grinding into cornmeal) is doing great.

Right now, I'm still trying to recover, physically, from our fencing project. We need to get at it again. There is so much to do! I don't know if my body can hold up, though. I'm definitely not as young as I used to be. Many days I still feel like a girl. Then, I can feel like an old woman. Middle age is rough. :giggle:
We rake out our goat shelters and surrounding areas, hay and all. We have piles of different composting stuff around here. Theres a rabbit pile and chicken piles from the coop cleaning. Those piles are amazing after one winter. We pull of the top layers and its awesome soil underneath! I didn't expect it all to cure and breakdown from just sitting one year. I was really happy though.

I did an experiment with potatoes this year.
I grew some in soil composted from goats and rabbits.
I grew some in soil composted from chickens.
The rabbit and goat growing potatoes are doing about 75% better than the stuff growing in the chicken soil.
I did the same with corn.
I now know not to use chicken made soil for potatoes! LOL
But the corn loves it!! We are growing field corn for critters and sweet for ourselves. The corn explodes in soil made from composted chickens coops.

Please dont mention, there is so much to do! LOL
We have to much to do.
Fencing...yuk! My mate is still working on the pallet fencing for the buck pen.
Ripping those pallets apart and reassembling them for buck proofing is really time consuming.
I am just grateful I have a mate that is willing to do the hard work with what we have otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford our critters.
Around here we all use old fashion manual methods to make this homestead a reality. And darn, having to much to do all time is great.
I dont think any of us knows what boredom means! LOL

Now, if I could just shake off this stupid virus so I could get back to work..I'd be happy. But it is nice having time to be here on MW too. :)
Maybe I am slow to get over viruses because of that darn middle age thing. :weirdsmil
The kids have bounced back nicely while I still have a handkerchief attached to my nose!:lol:

Wood Nymph
July 3rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
I have never segregated manures separately in compost - I've always mixed it all together. So your experiment is VERY interesting! Chicken manure is very high in nitrogen, so I'm not surprised that corn would love it - corn is greedy for nitrogen. Interesting that it was too much for the potatoes. Root crops can be encouraged to put on too much top growth if they get too much nitrogen, so maybe that was the case with this compost, perhaps.

I used stock panels and t-posts to build our compost bins. They are in 4 foot cubes. This makes a pretty nice size. All of our barn and shed and coop cleanings go in, along with any vegetable matter that doesn't get consumed by chickens, goats, or horses (and honestly, that isn't much!).

I know what you mean by trying to do a lot with a little money. It means a lot of hard manual labor! I'll tell you what - it is still fun, doing this, but I honestly hope this is the last homestead I ever develop - I've done this too many times now, and ... I want to put down roots and STAY PUT this time, to the end of my days, if I can.

Yes, being laid up is no fun! But it does give a person a little bit of down time to enjoy some idle chat, which is a nice change of pace.

Shanti
July 3rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
I have never segregated manures separately in compost - I've always mixed it all together. So your experiment is VERY interesting! Chicken manure is very high in nitrogen, so I'm not surprised that corn would love it - corn is greedy for nitrogen. Interesting that it was too much for the potatoes. Root crops can be encouraged to put on too much top growth if they get too much nitrogen, so maybe that was the case with this compost, perhaps.

I used stock panels and t-posts to build our compost bins. They are in 4 foot cubes. This makes a pretty nice size. All of our barn and shed and coop cleanings go in, along with any vegetable matter that doesn't get consumed by chickens, goats, or horses (and honestly, that isn't much!).

I know what you mean by trying to do a lot with a little money. It means a lot of hard manual labor! I'll tell you what - it is still fun, doing this, but I honestly hope this is the last homestead I ever develop - I've done this too many times now, and ... I want to put down roots and STAY PUT this time, to the end of my days, if I can.

Yes, being laid up is no fun! But it does give a person a little bit of down time to enjoy some idle chat, which is a nice change of pace.
The potatoes in the chicken one, the stems grew longer but with less foliage and thinner stems. Fewer potatoes even came up. The plants are growing a lot slower than the others. They grew long and leggy.
In the goat and rabbit, they are tick and dark green. All of them came up. They are growing fast but stout. The stems are strong and heavy.
The question I am waiting to find out is what the potatoes will be like at harvest for all the sets. Oh and its reds and russets we are growing with reds growing the best right now. Both reds and russets were out through the test.

Now the corn is the opposite. The chicken corn, thick, wide leaves, dark green, heavy stemmed...beautiful.
The rabbits and goat corn, paler, thinner stemmed, slower growing, and weak looking.

I love experimenting. Its how I find what works the best for me!! :)

Wood Nymph
July 3rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Experimenting is fun! To me, that is one of the most interesting parts of gardening. Sometimes, you learn a new way to do things better. Others, you learn what not to try again! LOL!

alwaysfallingup
July 4th, 2008, 12:20 AM
So, tonight we ate our very first homegrown produce...four little cherry tomatoes. And you know what? They were the best tasting darned cherry tomatoes ever! :toofless:

Shanti
July 4th, 2008, 02:00 AM
So, tonight we ate our very first homegrown produce...four little cherry tomatoes. And you know what? They were the best tasting darned cherry tomatoes ever! :toofless:
That is the best part of raising your own food...its not only healthier than store bought, it just taste a lot better!!!:boing::boing::boing:

Oh and right now, they are safe tomatoes to eat!!:toofless:

Cindlady2
July 4th, 2008, 04:07 AM
My tomatoes are still green, but for my 6 plants I think I'll have quite a few. I Have at least 3 types so I have a nice long tomato season. My bell peppers however are a little weird. short stocky plants (about 10") and flowering! I'm debating if I should pinch off the the flowers so the plans grow more or just leave them.

Tanya
July 4th, 2008, 06:17 AM
winter here.... still eating the LASt of our tomatoes...

Always.....

I felt that way about our first apricot.. hubby and I shared it... it was .. heaven.

Myrr
July 4th, 2008, 11:28 AM

It's that way with most anything you grow yourself. I caught some trout last week that where better than anything a store or resturant could ever get.

Shanti
July 6th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Mulching and mulching.
Drying rates are through the roof and the ground is cooking!

Its hot here.

Wood Nymph
July 7th, 2008, 06:24 PM
It is HOT here too. Thankfully we got a big rain last night, otherwise I'd be watering today.

Shanti
July 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM
It is HOT here too. Thankfully we got a big rain last night, otherwise I'd be watering today.
We had rain last night too and more for tonight.
Our problem is where the gardens are on the higher ground in full sun. Just 2 days of no rain with these high temps and the ground turns into hot dry earth if not mulched. And its hot to the touch and even hotter when you dig down a few inches. It literally cooks.

But on the lower land, closer to the river, its wet mud and soggy fields.

We have both extremes going on here. To dry one one side and to wet on the other. LOL

Another thing that makes life on a river interesting, extreme soil conditions.
And I wouldnt change living here for anything! :smile:

banondraig
July 9th, 2008, 12:31 AM
yep, nothing dries out quick like sandy soil.

Against The Tide
July 9th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Its only an appartment, but we are composting on the balcony and have a nice little herb garden going already. Have some veggies in containers sprouting, would be mega cool to eat home grown carrots, lettuce, squash, pumpkin (not potted seeds yet) and others things later on in the year.

I am looking into frugal living - I like OAMC, Once A Month Cooking, but our freezer space is small so it might be twice a month - buy foods in bulk at low cost and cook most of the fortnights dishes in a single day and freeze it, and eat as needed.

banondraig
July 9th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Lentils are fantastic for frugal living. They are cheap, store well dry, and have protein enough for even determined carnivores like myself. :D

Shanti
July 9th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Its chicken butchering time. We did 4 tonight and only about 30 more to go before the end of the month. :toofless:

So far the weight has dressed out at 3.5 pounds on 16 week old, single breasted, roasters. :smile:

Tomorrow, no chickens to butcher because its garden time. The first of the peas and green beans are ready for picking. :smile:

Cindlady2
July 9th, 2008, 03:52 AM
A setback for us.... the house we were going to put a bid on is not zoned for agriculture! grrrrrrrrrrr! It's the 2nd to last house on that road that is residential only!!! Just 2houses away from OK. grrrrr! Now I have to decide if I like the house enough to give up the idea of having chickens. :(

Shanti
July 9th, 2008, 04:09 AM
A setback for us.... the house we were going to put a bid on is not zoned for agriculture! grrrrrrrrrrr! It's the 2nd to last house on that road that is residential only!!! Just 2houses away from OK. grrrrr! Now I have to decide if I like the house enough to give up the idea of having chickens. :(Just because its zoned residential doesn't mean you cant have chickens necessarily. Madison city allows 4 hens in people yards within the city itself. No roosters. So you cant breed in Madison.

You can check zoning laws to find out if chickens are allowed and how many.

You only need ag for sure, if you want to keep livestock like goats, cows, horses.
Then you have to know if your zoned for the animals you want. Some ag is ok for goats and cows but not horses and some the opposite and some it doesn't matter.

Tanya
July 9th, 2008, 04:18 AM
painting... one paint for the brick one for the wood work, one for the wall. one for the trim

the dudes are slating. ..it looks awesome.

Cindlady2
July 9th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Just because its zoned residential doesn't mean you cant have chickens necessarily. Madison city allows 4 hens in people yards within the city itself. No roosters. So you cant breed in Madison.

You can check zoning laws to find out if chickens are allowed and how many.

You only need ag for sure, if you want to keep livestock like goats, cows, horses.
Then you have to know if your zoned for the animals you want. Some ag is ok for goats and cows but not horses and some the opposite and some it doesn't matter.
The guy I talked to said I could ask to have it re-zoned and because it's so close and a large enough property, it might work. However I have to be a resident to have any impact. So we would have to buy it first then hope for the best.
LOL I was thinking if it were the last house I could talk to the farmer next door and try to work something out for a few feet of his land!
Oh well.

Against The Tide
July 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Lentils are fantastic for frugal living. They are cheap, store well dry, and have protein enough for even determined carnivores like myself. :D

Yes I love them, I make good curries or veggie burgers from them - next stop would be faux meat loaf and meatballs :)

banondraig
July 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Yes I love them, I make good curries or veggie burgers from them - next stop would be faux meat loaf and meatballs :)

I find TVP makes really good spaghetti meat if you reconstitute it with beef broth instead of plain boiling water.

Stormbeard
July 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I need to get a mower and mow our rear lawn.

Cindlady2
July 10th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I need to get a mower and mow our rear lawn.

Check it for good eats first! :mmm:

ckynes1968
July 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM
We just had two babies!

We have an old flock of sex link hens. One of them went broody (which we thought was great). I would check on her every couple of days....I didn't want to disturb her too much. Yesterday evening when I went to check on her, she was gone and no sign of any eggs. My daughter and I feared for the worst. (She was hidden in one of the old barns) We walked over to the coop where my hubby was putting the rest of the hens away for the night. We had just finished tellling him that she was gone and that she must have been eaten when he shouts "There she is! And she has two babies!)

Sure enough - she was back in the coop and had two little chicks with her. I was afraid that the other ladies would eat the babies so we caught them and moved the happy family into a confined area.

I checked on her this morning - the babies were under her - and she "growled" at me...so I left her alone.

We've just brooded 93 chickens and 3 turkeys that we purchased from a hatchery! Kinda funny that one of the old hens hatched some of her own!

Shanti
July 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Congrats on those chicks.
We have a lot of chicks but we artificially incubate and dont let the hens.
Some eggs we want for hatching and some for eating.

All our girls lay in the same nest so it impossible to let the broody's hatch them because at the end of one day each broody would have a dozen eggs under her. LOL

But speaking of chicken we had our first home grown chicken dinner last night.

I cooked that bird in the slow cooker with curry sauce and nutmeg. After it was done, the meat fell off the bone and melted in your mouth.
My mate made a Mexican rice recipe to go with the chicken and wow....
what a delicious and healthy meal.
And no fat!!! The darn chicken was all meat and absolutely no fat!!
I didn't even get drippings for gravy. LOL
Free ranging, and letting them fly onto the garage roof, payed off.
They got lots of that magical exercise. :smile:

I missed good chicken. I stopped eating store bought because it was to stringy and fatty and just yuk. I started not liking chicken but now....
with home grown, chicken is back on the menu!!!!!:boing:

Cindlady2
July 11th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Cool! Glad you enjoyed it!

Tanya
July 11th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I've been painting for a week now... grarrrrrrrrr.......

it is the house of my dreams but jez its a long road

alwaysfallingup
July 11th, 2008, 06:04 PM
My two young cousins have taken a bet. They bet me five dollars each that they can catch my fugitive goat in a week. So, either I get my goat back within a week, or I get ten dollars. Either way, I'm a winner.

Shanti
July 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM
My two young cousins have taken a bet. They bet me five dollars each that they can catch my fugitive goat in a week. So, either I get my goat back within a week, or I get ten dollars. Either way, I'm a winner.Have you tried roping her?
Get grain down, stand off lasso her butt.

My mate has practiced doing that and by golly it works. He can get a goat lassoed at about 20 feet away. It helps when you cant get closer than that to them.

Maybe one of your cousins could take a try at lassoing the goat.

If anyone does just be ready for someone to jump on the goat fast so she doesn't choke herself. Have collar and lead at the ready and some muscle to hold her still. :)

Wood Nymph
July 14th, 2008, 04:02 PM
We finally got our pasture fencing project done! WHEEEE! All that remains is to string an electric scare wire around the top, but the hard work is all completed.

My hands are healing from the work - had a bad flare-up of carpal tunnel with this project. But at least it is DONE! :boing:

So I should be elated and moving on to the next project. But now I'm down with a nasty summer cold. YUCK! This is NOT what I need right now! OK, maybe enforced rest is what I need. It was not what I would have CHOSEN, however! :T

Next up on the agenda is to build housing for the chickens. I have moved them into temporary quarters so that they are no longer residing in the garage. But I need something more permanent. I wanted to build a hen house. But though I have some of the materials to build one, such as a scavenged door and window and some lumber, I don't have enough. And the fencing project was a bit of a budget buster, as materials costs are going up, up, up. So, I'm using this down time to think about chicken tractors. I've built several different types of chicken tractor over the years. They are great for the warm months. Less than ideal in our climate through the winter, though.

But, unless I can score enough freebie or very low cost building materials, it will be a tractor over a hen house, for sure!

Tanya
July 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM
between grout dust and paint fumes.. PINK EYE!

sigh.. still 2 rooms to go painting and 1 room to slate.

aranarose
July 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I kind of miss having chickens. I'm looking into the city regulations to see if I can get a chicken tractor and have them in my back yard. Fresh eggs and meat would be awesome!

One year, almost the last year we had them I think, we were collecting eggs like crazy. Couldn't even remotely use them all, or even give all of them away. We were working on getting rid of most, because my mother wanted out of the chicken business.

We were making careful sure that we were getting all the eggs. We didn't want any surprises.

Then one day, we went out to feed, and suddenly saw a dozen babies. One of the hens had hidden a nest (they were pretty much free range) underneath the barn, where there was no way we could have gotten to it, and they had hatched, much to our surprise :lol: Especially since our only rooster was a beat up old bastard with only one eye!

Shanti
July 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Busy this weekend.
Shortly, my son is coming over to assist me in chicken butcher day.
All the last of the broilers and duals that we are not keeping for eggs or breeding for next years chicks are going to freezer camp.

We have around 100 chickens but only 24 are being wintered over.

Cindlady2
July 29th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I love your term "freezer camp" LMAO!

What do you do with all the feathers?

Shanti
July 29th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I love your term "freezer camp" LMAO!

What do you do with all the feathers?
Feathers, wash, dry, bag and sell.
I sell a 1 gallon freezer bag of mixed colors and feathers for $10 plus shipping.:toofless:

One exception, my best friend. She gets an unlimited supply for free for her Native American Spirit sticks. :smile:

Oh, and after sending the chickens off to freezer camp, I quick tossed one in the slow cooker. Later I go to get some for dinner and its all gone!!
My kids attacked the pot when I was working outside. Ages 7 and 10, little kids, and they ate the whole chicken!!!
I am glad they liked it so much, but they could of waited for dinner and some trimmings to go with it. LOL

Shanti
July 29th, 2008, 02:06 PM
For the next week we will be sweating!!
High heat and humidity has firmly entrenched itself.

Yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cindlady2
July 30th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Feathers, wash, dry, bag and sell.
I sell a 1 gallon freezer bag of mixed colors and feathers for $10 plus shipping.:toofless:
Sounds like a good way to make a few extra buck! Make those chickens pay! LOL

Oh, and after sending the chickens off to freezer camp, I quick tossed one in the slow cooker. Later I go to get some for dinner and its all gone!!
My kids attacked the pot when I was working outside. Ages 7 and 10, little kids, and they ate the whole chicken!!!
I am glad they liked it so much, but they could of waited for dinner and some trimmings to go with it. LOL

Hummm... sounds like what my oldest did about that age (10). I made 2 chickens for the 5 of us with hopes of having some left for casserole later in the week. I was going to be late so I told him he could go ahead and eat before he went to scouts.(Everything was in the oven on "hold") Got home and the stinker ate a whole chicken!

Cindlady2
July 30th, 2008, 12:58 AM
For the next week we will be sweating!!
High heat and humidity has firmly entrenched itself.

Yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won't be out much this next week.... I think I'll stay in and breath instead! Sounds like no air....just humidity coming!

Shanti
August 8th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Well, the weather cooled nicely. I sure was glad the heat didnt last!

My daughter and I re-did the chicken yard.
All the fencing was redone and moved.
The chicken yard was raked and cleaned.
We have the teen age pen now inside the big chickens yard and the baby pen in there too. Males it easier to add birds to the established flock as they grow.

We also have been busy working on a new goat pen for my beloved Ivy. She is a black angora goat that I have been waiting 2 years for. I found a breeder 2 years ago that bred to get Ivy for me.
Ivy is 3 months old and due to come home here at the end of August.
So, busy we have been getting everything ready.
Ivy is one goat not for eating! :smile:

Cindlady2
August 9th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Didn't you put up a pic. of her shortly after she was born? I know you mentioned you found her and couldn't wait to get her home. :)

Shanti
August 9th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Didn't you put up a pic. of her shortly after she was born? I know you mentioned you found her and couldn't wait to get her home. :)Yeah, I did somewhere! LOL

And the breeder, I feel really good about.

Ivy could of come home now, but she is still suckling and not quite ready to totally wean. Many breeders would just pull her from mom, but not this one.
She agrees with me that goats are best to wean naturally and I know I dont mind waiting for Ivy to be truely ready.

From my experience kids left on mom grow better and are over all more hardy than ones forced to wean. I tried several different ways to raise kid goats, bottle, pull, naturally wean. All the naturally weaned grew a lot better and stayed stronger and healthy. The others had bumps along the way and grew a lot slower.

I had 2 pygmy doelings that a lady wanted to buy but they wanted me to pull the kids at 8 weeks. I knew the kids were not ready. They would of gone through undo stress and probably loss weight if pulled and sold. Just being relocated away from the herd is stressful on a kid goat.

I tried to get the people, who are really nice, to wait but they pushed me to the point that I canceled the sale.

Now, a month later the 2 doelings are weaned on their terms, healthy and wonderful sized and strong.
The same lady is still interested and understands that some breeders, like me, wont make a sale till I feel the kids are ready.
They do a lot of rescue work and work with special needs animals, but no reason to make a special needs animal out of 2 that are perfectly fine if left a bit longer with their mom. Thats how I felt about it and now this lady understands.
I dont know if they will follow through with buying the goats but we have been talking and they would be a good home for the doelings and Jasper.
They are looking for a mini milker and Jasper fits what the want perfectly.
They are local here and have a great set up too.
I felt bad canceling the sale the first time, it broke the daughters heart, but I just couldn't risk those kid goats.

And thats how this breeder with Ivy is and I am so happy. She said the latest it may take is the beginning of September before Ivy is ready but it looks like its most likely the end of August.
I told her time doesnt matter, I will wait as long as I have to. I want what is best for Ivy.
She has a lot of years ahead of her growing that wonderful fiber for me, she deserves the best start in life.
So even if Ivy decides to be slow to wean....thats ok! :)

Heck, I waited 2 years for my dream girl....I'll wait some more very happily.:smile:

materra
August 9th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I am glad that there are good people and goat breeders out there. Nice to know some folks do care about their farm critters. :)

Warm hugs to you, yours and the rest of the homestead folks.

ckynes1968
August 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM
Our tomatoes are FINALLY starting to come in so I've been busy canning and dehrydrating them. (And eating them on BLT's YUM)

I've been canning quite a bit lately (did some blackberry preserves and some hot sauce about a week ago)

Basil is about ready for pesto.....(another YUM)

What are you preserving?

Shanti
August 22nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
I'm not preserving anything yet. We stiill have another month before harvest.

I am waiting though, tonight/today for one of our Boer doe's to give birth.
Its her first time. I hope it all goes well and she doesnt even need me. :)

I just checked her after checking on her a few times through the night and she is progressing nicely. We should have kids by tonight or sooner.

banondraig
August 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Good luck to your doe, Shanti!

Are goats considered red or white meat?

Shanti
August 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Ruby had twin buckling's. All is well. I am exhausted, need sleep.

Ruby's a good breeder and mom. She'll get to go again next year.

The buckling's will be wethered so they will be used for food. No pics because some people get upset seeing dinner when it alive and furry.

Ruby, for a first timer did absolutely great.
Excellent doe. :)
She definitely has a future for this breeding herd. :)
Its always a worry with the first timers. You don't know if the doe will do great, have probs, reject kids and so on.

Oh, goats are extremely lean red meat. :)

Cindlady2
August 23rd, 2008, 02:28 AM
Congrats to all of you! :)

Shanti
August 23rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks CL.

Now its time to get back to the daily grind....house cleaning!!! :T

banondraig
August 26th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Ruby had twin buckling's. All is well. I am exhausted, need sleep.

Ruby's a good breeder and mom. She'll get to go again next year.

The buckling's will be wethered so they will be used for food. No pics because some people get upset seeing dinner when it alive and furry.

Ruby, for a first timer did absolutely great.
Excellent doe. :)
She definitely has a future for this breeding herd. :)
Its always a worry with the first timers. You don't know if the doe will do great, have probs, reject kids and so on.

Oh, goats are extremely lean red meat. :)

Congratulations!

Thanks for the info!

Tanya
August 30th, 2008, 04:00 AM
We got a BIG ASS deer this week... wow! (the pic of him is on my profile)
and we are getting spring greens and peas FINALLY came up...

and lots of herbs again... spring is back.

Shanti
August 30th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Congrats Tanya on the deer!!!:boing:
I love venison. :)

Its so weird to hear your moving into spring when I'm getting plans together for prepping for winter! LOL

Tanya
August 30th, 2008, 04:46 PM
aint the round world weird?

alwaysfallingup
September 5th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Well, I had someone try to give me a free goat the other day, but it was a pygmy buck and at this point, I don't want to mix in the new breed with my pretty Nigerian Dwarf ladies.

I'm getting in a nice, big second crop of bell peppers. My romas are still going, too. I've done a lot of freezing and canning in the last few weeks. It's an incredible feeling to look at my pantry and see the lines and rows of things I've put away.

It's cool this week and my mind is on fall. I'm trying not to get attached, because in this area we're likely as not going to have a few more days of hundred degree weather before fall comes in to stay, but I'm enjoying the coziness of my quilt for a few days while I have a chance.

Cindlady2
September 6th, 2008, 02:25 AM
It is a great feeling to sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labors! :)

Tanya
September 7th, 2008, 06:02 AM
50 more trees into the erosion gullies with associated weeds removed. peas are up, garden mulched....Tanya exhausted...

Shanti
September 7th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Great to here some are having a good harvest.

Ours went bust. With the wet spring the roots of plants didnt go deep.
Watering doesnt do much. Its not a lack of water that does the damage.
Its the high heat at the surface were the roots stayed that hurts the plants.
Mulching helps, but not enough for a good crop.
Mulch can actually hold that heat in, especially if its moist and rain we had.
As a result, a storm knocked over most of the corn and the heat of late summer toasted the roots of other crops.

Harvesting all over my area is bust.:(

We are getting some nice tomatoes, squash and pumpkins though.
Their excessive leaf growth helped shade the ground for those plants, and unlike mulch, leaf shading allows air to blow around cooling the ground at night.

alwaysfallingup
September 11th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Today, I did 40 quarts (Yes, FORTY QUARTS) of apple pie filling. My Papa's trees had a bumper apple crop this year, and he's been giving them away to anyone who would take them. Yum...sticky, sweet apple pie filling. *drools* My house has never smelled so good.

banondraig
September 12th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Today, I did 40 quarts (Yes, FORTY QUARTS) of apple pie filling. My Papa's trees had a bumper apple crop this year, and he's been giving them away to anyone who would take them. Yum...sticky, sweet apple pie filling. *drools* My house has never smelled so good.

:jawdrop:

Shanti
September 12th, 2008, 10:01 PM
We have some extra goats we dont want to eat because they are young, small and cute.
We sold 2 today!!!

We didnt make anything on them, but it helps with the cost of the hay.
Plus the small little cute ones wont be going to freezer camp. I hate eating ones that really are not meat worthy. They were Boer crosses, with to little Boer in them.

Now I have 3 Pygmy/Nigerien crosses to sell. 2 little doelings and our nice milker, Jasper. I dont want to eat tiny pygmy kids nor Jasper, our lady that gave milk so willingly.
We dont want to keep them either since meat and fiber is our thing.
I hope they sell soon too.

Cindlady2
September 13th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Awww Jeezzze! If I had my "place" now I would love to have Jasper! We are still looking. We go Sun. to look at a place and Tue. to look at a couple more. Well, hope you find her a good home soon.

Shanti
September 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Awww Jeezzze! If I had my "place" now I would love to have Jasper! We are still looking. We go Sun. to look at a place and Tue. to look at a couple more. Well, hope you find her a good home soon.
Oh CL, if you could take Jasper, I would give her to you in heart beat!

Shanti
September 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I have 2 doelings sold!!
They are Rusty's little doelings.
They are going to an awesome farm with a 10 yr old daughter who is a goaty girl like my daughter!!!:boing:
The daughter is just soo happy!

Myself and my daughter are totally thrilled!

All we have left is poor Jasper. :(

I wont give up finding a home for her. She is just to lovable to eat.
I am picky about who takes her, so thats probably not helping.
I want Jasper to have a good life, ya know.

Heck she gave us the future daddies of our future Pygora line. She gave us milk all winter too.
She deserves a nice home were she can be all the goat she can be. :toofless:

Cindlady2
September 14th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Well, if you can't find her a nice home before we find a place (where I can have a goat or 2) I really would love to have her. She sounds (from when you first talked about her) like a sweet heart! Do you think she would be OK by herself? Or would she need a companion? Even if the place we find is "borderline" Ag. I'm going to shoot for chickens and goats then petition for statics change. We won't be by any people if I can help it anyway.LOL One reason this is taking so long! If we wanted to be by people we could have had a few places.

I bet the grand kids would lover her and I could teach them to milk. ( If she doesn't need "freshening")

Shanti
September 14th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Well, if you can't find her a nice home before we find a place (where I can have a goat or 2) I really would love to have her. She sounds (from when you first talked about her) like a sweet heart! Do you think she would be OK by herself? Or would she need a companion? Even if the place we find is "borderline" Ag. I'm going to shoot for chickens and goats then petition for statics change. We won't be by any people if I can help it anyway.LOL One reason this is taking so long! If we wanted to be by people we could have had a few places.

I bet the grand kids would lover her and I could teach them to milk. ( If she doesn't need "freshening")Honestly I don't think she would be ok alone. She is such a baby. She cries every time she see's humans, she wants attention. And when we move her away from other goats, she cries like a baby.
She definitely likes being surrounded by both people and goats.
She is a very social goat.
That too is what is making it hard to find her a home.
I want her with other goats and with people that hang out with there goats. She wouldn't make a good, pasture and leave her kind of goat.
Even with other goats, Jasper begs for daily attention.

But how many goats will stand for milking with out a milk stand or someone holding onto them?
All Jasper needs to stand for milking is feeling an arm around her, like she needs a hug.
Heck she doesn't even need grain to get her to co-operate.

Jasper has one flaw, she doesn't do good with smaller goats, She is pushy to smaller sized goats. She is great with our adult Boers and the one Alpine.
She may not have horns but when it comes to smaller goats, Jasper doesn't need them to be a pain in the littler ones rears.
She also is good with old Pinky. Pinky has horns and is twice Jaspers weight so Jasper doesn't even try to push her around. Jasper knows who is easy to pick on.
Thats where Jasper is right now, with old Pinky.

Ruby is in the main doe pen with her new buckling kids. Jasper went to push them around and they are so tiny, I pulled her out and put her with Pinky.

Pinky is one goat thats a loner. So she has been alone for awhile. Pinky isnt to happy about sharing her pen with Jasper but both girls are a lot alike so they just ignor each other! LOL
Jasper screams if I put her alone. But with Pinky, even though they ignor one another, she is happy. wuiet and content.
They dont even share the same shelter. We had to give each one there own wooden box! :lol:

Jasper could handle being without another goat, but to keep her from calling and crying all the time, you'd have to live with her. ;)

Cindlady2
September 15th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Well, it looks like, (from the other thread) that you may have a place for her. If not, and if we get a place soon, she would still have a home. I'll find her a friend. I like Alpines myself. The one place we were looking at I could greet her out the kitchen window:) and the pen would run along side the deck. The bad thing about that house was the train ran along the back of the property. We are still looking. Tue. we look at a few more places.

Shanti
September 21st, 2008, 12:53 AM
Well today I started getting the chicken coop re-arranged and ready for winter.
I have fencing repaired and some I moved.
I changed the layout a bit. The gates are re-located where the snow wont pile up like it did last year.
Tomorrow I have some finishing touches and my mate has to still make the little coop for the kids topknots.

I have changed the dog run for my daughters Cocker so he is not under foot on the back porch anymore. I almost broke my neck several times with him getting under foot while I was walking down the stairs with my arms full of stuff.
Now the has his own outside area, safe and snugly. I gave him hay and a shelter, even though he is a house dog, but he likes to play in the hay and jump on top of the shelter. Silly dog. LOL

Oh and the chickens are laying great!! 16-24 eggs a day!!!:boing::boing::boing:

Cindlady2
September 21st, 2008, 04:50 AM
Are you going to try to winter many chickens? By the sounds of things from the other post, your going to need allot more chickens than you had this year!

Shanti
September 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
Are you going to try to winter many chickens? By the sounds of things from the other post, your going to need allot more chickens than you had this year!
Cricket and I are planning on 20.
I was hoping for 12 but thats not happening.
Its a case of, this one lays well, this one has a good build, this one has the great feather color, this one is a good broody, and on and on. :lol:
I have 24 eggs in the incubator due to hatch in 2 weeks.
So with that 20 goal, if any in the bator are really nice, I will replace some of the older hens, I hope. I dont want to go over 20 or it would cost to much for over wintering.

I know next spring, I will be hatching as fast as eggs fall. LOL

Right now, I will just stuff our 2 freezers for the winter.

We have only one goat to add freezer camp yet, so we have the room.

Cindlady2
September 22nd, 2008, 04:36 AM
Yeh, wintering hens is not something you want to do allot of if you can help it. Not only the cost, but they have to be hardy unless the coop is well heated (then that coast). Plus it's like you have a sign on the door that says "Fresh Meat Here" for every varmint in the area!

alwaysfallingup
March 17th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Right now, we are getting our list of "to-dos" in order, trying to figure out the logical way of proceeding with all the stuff that needs to be done.

Our seeds are tucked safely into their starter, and are doing well. I'm excited for planting time in the garden.

We are going to have some big projects on tap. We are renovating the barn, taking down two of the wings and covering the charming antique wood exterior with metal. I hate to spoil the 100-year-old barn's looks, but we decided practicality had to win out, and we need to keep our critters warm.

We are waiting for our tax return to come in, because we are going to have the property surveyed so that we can be sure of our exact lines because we are going to fence the whole thing so our goats have more room to play and graze.

We are turning the former coal storage room in the barn into my chicken coop, because it is a snug little room that will only need nest boxes added and a door to the outside added to let them go in and out. Much easier than building a new coop. My Buff Orpingtons are due in the mail soon!

We will be adding more raised beds to my garden spot. I am going to be raising at least three times as much produce this year as I did last year, so I need more room!

I am also going to be planting fruit trees, so I need to figure out exactly where the best spot for them will be. I don't want little goats to make a snack out of my apple and pear trees and my raspberry canes!

What is everyone else doing in this busy season?

Against The Tide
March 17th, 2009, 01:03 AM
We're just waiting for it to warm up. In a week or so, we'll get some seeds and planters. I'd like to grow tomatoes this year! We'll definitely go with herbs again, they grew wonderfully on our balcony. Though we did get some carrots, pumpkins and acorn squash - they there a bit on the small size (need some good sized containers maybe?). Strawberries are also something we're thinking about.

Recently it became legal to keep chickens in Vancouver - not too far from us :) But I don't think the landlord would appreciate it :(

ckynes1968
March 17th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Our high-tunnel is up and functioning but I've only put in some garlic (last fall). Hubby has been using it to store firewood... :(

I havent' ordered my seeds - i'm really afraid to spend the money since he got laid off from work and jobs are pretty scarce in these parts.

I've been working on pruning the fruit trees and I really need to get plants started for the garden.

Chickens have been laying all winter so we've had a great supply of eggs.

TheWomanMonster
March 17th, 2009, 01:11 PM
We're just waiting for it to warm up. In a week or so, we'll get some seeds and planters. I'd like to grow tomatoes this year! We'll definitely go with herbs again, they grew wonderfully on our balcony. Though we did get some carrots, pumpkins and acorn squash - they there a bit on the small size (need some good sized containers maybe?). Strawberries are also something we're thinking about.

Recently it became legal to keep chickens in Vancouver - not too far from us :) But I don't think the landlord would appreciate it :(

Didn't help that our last frost of the year last Spring was well into April... looking that way again this year. :(

Shanti
April 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Finally spring is starting to peek!

We are getting ready for lambing our lone ewe.

We have chicks hatching in the incubator. This year is flock replacement.
We are rebuilding the baby chick yard for when the young ones are ready to go outside.

We have a couple of rabbits bred. Getting ready to relocate the rabbitry and turn the windowed porch room they are in into a sitting and sewing room. Its a enclosed windowed porch that's off the kitchen and overlooks the fields and river. Pretty view!

We finally have 2 aspen trees ordered. I love quacking aspen and feel empty without any here.

I have my sacred herb seeds ordered for my special garden thats for my spiritual work.
Leonurus cardiaca
Lobelia inflata
Arctostaphylos uva-ursi
Scutellaria lateriflora
Artemisia vulgaris
Artemisia absinthium
Salvia apiana
Nicotiana rustica
Leonotus leonurus
Monarda didyma

alwaysfallingup
April 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Right now, the barn is the major project, but Phase One is complete. Yay! Phase Two will be clean-up, and Phase Three will be Rehabilitation. It's like Extreme Makeover, Barn Edition.

I'm also hardening off my gardening plants right now. We have had the coldest spring in forever, but it seems to be warming up now and I'm willing it to get warm enough to put my plants in this weeks because they're getting way too big for their containers.

My dad just dumped a gigantic load of composted horse manure in my yard for my raised beds (I've added three more since last year), so I've got to get that shoveled in before the plants can go in. I hope it warms up!