PDA

View Full Version : Will Racists Come Out of the Woodwork to Keep Obama Out of the White House?

Thunder
February 3rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
I was having lunch with a good friend and we were discussing the debates and the election in general. The conversation turned toward who, between Obama and Clinton, is the country ready for. Her position was that the country would be more ready for a woman. She, BTW is black. My position was that, personally, I do not like or trust Hillary and I would vote for Obama in a second. But my concern was/is that the U.S. still has a shit load of redneck racist fools, many of whom probably don't even normally vote, who would come out from under every rock in the country to keep a "******" out of the White House. She stared at me for the longest time then let her shoulders sag and agreed.

What do all of you think about that?

sunny.spoone
February 3rd, 2008, 09:35 PM
Honestly, if these people aren't going to vote for a black man, what would make them vote for a woman anyway? These same people would probably come out for either candidate just to be jerks.

Thunder
February 3rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Honestly, if these people aren't going to vote for a black man, what would make them vote for a woman anyway? These same people would probably come out for either candidate just to be jerks.I didn't mean in the primary... I meant if Obama won the primary. They would come out of the wood work to vote Republican just to Make sure we didn't get a black president.

Philosophia
February 3rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
I think it will but it'll also bring out the people who want to put him in office because he's black. I don't know which group will be bigger and have more influence.

banondraig
February 3rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
I think it will but it'll also bring out the people who want to put him in office because he's black. I don't know which group will be bigger and have more influence.

Under the current nonsensical way the Electoral College is run, it would depend on which state has the highest concentration of each. California, which has the most electoral votes, will probably have more anti-Obama voters.

Heart of All
February 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Are there a lot of racists in California?

Anyway, I do think that some racists will do anything they can to keep Obama out of the White House. However, I also think a lot of people will show up to vote against Hillary because she's a woman AND a lot of people will vote against her because she's a Clinton.

Personally I think Obama has a better chance between the two. How much of a chance that is, I don't know.

Mesektet
February 3rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
Since my parents (all 4 of them) are going to vote, and not for Obama, then I have to say that yes, they are going to come out the woodwork to try and keep a bi-racial candidate down.

Thunder
February 3rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Obama has shown a tremendous ability to ralley young voters but I think you all underestimate the Bigot factor. Plus, historically, the young voters are the least likely to actually vote.

banondraig
February 3rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
Are there a lot of racists in California?

I honestly couldn't say, but to the best of my knowledge the majority of California's population consists of whites, Hispanics, and Asians, all of whom have at least some members who would be racist against blacks.

Also, some blacks have said that Obama "doesn't count", so that will also work against him.

Anyway, I do think that some racists will do anything they can to keep Obama out of the White House. However, I also think a lot of people will show up to vote against Hillary because she's a woman AND a lot of people will vote against her because she's a Clinton.

I myself wouldn't vote against her because she's a Clinton, but I just don't trust her.

Personally I think Obama has a better chance between the two. How much of a chance that is, I don't know.

:uhhuhuh:
At least people who do feel a knee-jerk bias against him because of his genetics don't feel free to shout things about same in public. :hrmm:

Laisrean
February 3rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
I already touched on this concern in this thread (http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=181502).

Tanya
February 4th, 2008, 12:27 AM
frankly I think Hillery made a lot of enemies when Bill was in... let's remember that black men got the vote before white women, and I think that its far more likely a black man will be POTUS first...

I don't know who I'm voting for yet... Obama sounds a lot more reasonable to me...

but I'm just a(mostly) white woman... only have the vote for 80 odd years....we are still stupid/

sunny.spoone
February 4th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I didn't mean in the primary... I meant if Obama won the primary. They would come out of the wood work to vote Republican just to Make sure we didn't get a black president.

HeartofMoon said what I was trying to say much more eloquently.

Thunder
February 4th, 2008, 09:27 AM
frankly I think Hillery made a lot of enemies when Bill was in... let's remember that black men got the vote before white women, and I think that its far more likely a black man will be POTUS first...

I don't know who I'm voting for yet... Obama sounds a lot more reasonable to me...

but I'm just a(mostly) white woman... only have the vote for 80 odd years....we are still stupid/The vote for Blacks was largely a ceremonial gesture throughout much of the country and most of the south for decades. In practice they did damned little voting untill the 60's. The self same folks who stopped them from voting then will, I am afraid, slither out from under their rocks again to cast votes against Obama now. The suggestion that Women are more oppressed than blacks in this country is a tad silly. There is at this very moment a woman in line for the presidency. Nancy Pelosi. I'd vote for her before I would vote for Hil or Barack... she has shown much better sense and grace than Hil and far more experience than Obama.

BlueSage
February 4th, 2008, 09:29 AM
if they are racist then maybe?

that's kind of a loaded question lol.

BlueSage
February 4th, 2008, 09:29 AM
it's like asking if a lion will see a piece of steak will he not go for it?

banondraig
February 4th, 2008, 09:33 AM
The suggestion that Women are more oppressed than blacks in this country is a tad silly.

And yet stereotyping blacks, or using ethnic slurs against them, is utterly unacceptable, while stereotyping women is just sort of rude, and using slurs against them puts CDs on the platinum list.

BlueSage
February 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM
And yet stereotyping blacks, or using ethnic slurs against them, is utterly unacceptable, while stereotyping women is just sort of rude, and using slurs against them puts CDs on the platinum list.

yea it's one of the oddities of society. the blacks can spit into a mic and make a mint but if those same words were used outside the "entertainment industry" you'd get into a hell of a lot of trouble.

Thunder
February 4th, 2008, 09:43 AM
And yet stereotyping blacks, or using ethnic slurs against them, is utterly unacceptable, while stereotyping women is just sort of rude, and using slurs against them puts CDs on the platinum list.Never the less... from job interviews to service at restaurants, the average woman's chance for success is orders of magnitude better than any black's... unless the woman is also black.

By the way... the same dolts who defame women on CDs defame blacks on them also. The hip hop industry is hardly the playing field to determine who is the most Effed over in American society.

BlueSage
February 4th, 2008, 09:44 AM
i'm not saying Effed up, i'm saying who's rolling in the dough lol.

banondraig
February 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM
By the way... the same dolts who defame women on CDs defame blacks on them also. The hip hop industry is hardly the playing field to determine who is the most Effed over in American society.

Fair enough, but I've never heard of anyone being fired over using a gender-based slur, and there have been several well-publicized cases of furor over using perfectly ordinary words that even sound like racial slurs.

Thunder
February 4th, 2008, 10:08 AM
i'm not saying Effed up, i'm saying who's rolling in the dough lol.Sorry, BlueSage.... I was actually referring to banondraig's post.

BlueSage
February 4th, 2008, 10:13 AM
kk lol

Laisrean
February 4th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Another possibility is that a racist individual or group of individuals may try to assassinate him.

BlueSage
February 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM
ROFL...i'm listening to Afroman at the moment. :D