PDA

View Full Version : 15% of Candians would rather vote in the American election

Marcasite
February 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Fifteen per cent of Canadians would give up their ballot in Canada's next federal election to vote in the U.S. election, a new poll co-sponsored by the CBC has found
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/02/01/poll-cbc.html?ref=rss

This raises an interesting question I'd like to put forth to my fellow Canadians. Do you think that what happens in the USA has a greater effect on our country than what happens in our own political sphere?
Personally, while I know our economies are deeply tied, I think that the policies put forth by Canadian politicians have a greater impact on our day-to-day lives. For example: health care, maternity leave, etc. I think also by refusing to participate in the Iraq war, Canada showed the world that we really are seperate and distinct from our southern neighbours. What do you think?

Laisrean
February 9th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I think that's true of many other countries in the world as well. The U.S. has more control and influence on the Earth than anyone else, so it is a shame only Americans have a say.

LostSheep
February 9th, 2008, 04:58 PM
That, I think, is very true.

Garm
February 10th, 2008, 10:26 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/02/01/poll-cbc.html?ref=rss

This raises an interesting question I'd like to put forth to my fellow Canadians. Do you think that what happens in the USA has a greater effect on our country than what happens in our own political sphere?
Personally, while I know our economies are deeply tied, I think that the policies put forth by Canadian politicians have a greater impact on our day-to-day lives. For example: health care, maternity leave, etc. I think also by refusing to participate in the Iraq war, Canada showed the world that we really are seperate and distinct from our southern neighbours. What do you think?

Only fifteen percent?

Our politicians by and large are just too dull to hold any ones interest

Thunder
February 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I think that's true of many other countries in the world as well. The U.S. has more control and influence on the Earth than anyone else, so it is a shame only Americans have a say. Honest to Jesus H Christ... Sometimes I truly do think you spend all your spare time smoking weed. Have you completely lost your mind??? Our system isn't ****ed up enough... you want foreign nationals manipulating our elections?????????????

Aidron
February 10th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I think that's true of many other countries in the world as well. The U.S. has more control and influence on the Earth than anyone else, so it is a shame only Americans have a say.

Then become an American citizen? :eyebrow:

A country's influence should not dictate whether or not the rest of the world has a say. When it gets to the point where one country rules them all (due to oval offices forged in the fires of Mount Dooooooom!) then the entire world can have a say.

RainInanna
February 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM
you want foreign nationals manipulating our elections?????????????

I find it funny that you consider Canadians wanting to vote in the American election as "foreign nationals manipulating elections". Blame Canada! (sorry, just a li'l Canadian humour there, eh!)

Anyway, as to the original post, I think generally Canadians are happier with their government as is. We have it pretty good in many ways - consider our health care or maternity/parental benefits. The issues in the American election are pretty big. Not saying we should have a vote there, just saying I can imagine why some fantasize about being able to.

Thunder
February 10th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I find it funny that you consider Canadians wanting to vote in the American election as "foreign nationals manipulating elections". Blame Canada! (sorry, just a li'l Canadian humour there, eh!)

Anyway, as to the original post, I think generally Canadians are happier with their government as is. We have it pretty good in many ways - consider our health care or maternity/parental benefits. The issues in the American election are pretty big. Not saying we should have a vote there, just saying I can imagine why some fantasize about being able to.I wasn't referring to Canadians because he wasn't... re-read his post. Besides... in the USA Canadians ARE foreign nationals. Why would you find that funny. Do you think that people who do not live, work or pay taxes in Canada should get to vote in Canadian elections?

Thunder
February 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM

A country's influence should not dictate whether or not the rest of the world has a say. When it gets to the point where one country rules them all (due to oval offices forged in the fires of Mount Dooooooom!) then the entire world can have a say.The entire world might want to step in a tad earlier than that. :hehehehe:

RainInanna
February 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I wasn't referring to Canadians because he wasn't... re-read his post.

I read it fine the first time. He didn't exclude Canadians in his second sentence, only the first, by pointing out that it's probably true for "many other countries". In the second he said it's a shame "only Americans have a say" - Canadians are not Americans. I wonder why people are so quick to assume others don't read posts? Wouldn't it have been faster to assume I was able to read?

It just makes me laugh because it goes back to that other thread about Canadians where we are all joking about our "evil master plans".

Do you think that people who do not live, work or pay taxes in Canada should get to vote in Canadian elections?

I don't think so, like I said

Not saying we should have a vote there, just saying I can imagine why some fantasize about being able to.

Thunder
February 10th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I read it fine the first time. He didn't exclude Canadians in his second sentence, only the first, by pointing out that it's probably true for "many other countries". In the second he said it's a shame "only Americans have a say" - Canadians are not Americans. I wonder why people are so quick to assume others don't read posts? Wouldn't it have been faster to assume I was able to read?
While he didn't exclude Canadians he did Include everyone else. His post, taken as a whole, implies that he thinks it is a shame that the "entire world" cannot vote in American elections. It is that to which I was responding. I wasn't singling out Canadians.

It just makes me laugh because it goes back to that other thread about Canadians where we are all joking about our "evil master plans". I did not read that thread and didn't make the connection.

I don't think so, like I saidMy bad.

Tullip Troll
February 10th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I don't want to vote in the US election but I wish there were a way to help keep it honest.

LostSheep
February 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM

A country's influence should not dictate whether or not the rest of the world has a say. When it gets to the point where one country rules them all (due to oval offices forged in the fires of Mount Dooooooom!) then the entire world can have a say.

When one country gives itself carte blanche to invade any other country in the world, just because it thinks that it may be a possible threat at some time in the future, I fear that many feel that it does indeed"rule them all" already.

David19
February 10th, 2008, 03:01 PM
When one country gives itself carte blanche to invade any other country in the world, just because it thinks that it may be a possible threat at some time in the future, I fear that many feel that it does indeed"rule them all" already.

I agree with you, I think it seems pretty clear the U.S. already thinks it owns the rest of the world, and can do exactly what it wants, despite what others say.

Laisrean
February 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Honest to Jesus H Christ... Sometimes I truly do think you spend all your spare time smoking weed. Have you completely lost your mind??? Our system isn't huged up enough... you want foreign nationals manipulating our elections?????????????

I think you spend your spare time misinterpreting other people's words. I said no such thing. What I said was, we do have a lot of control over other countries with our strong military and our strong economic and political hold on places like the middle-east. No where in my post did I say anything close to wanting to let foreign people vote. I only said it is a shame they don't have a say, because it is their countries our government is f'ing with.

Laisrean
February 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I wasn't referring to Canadians because he wasn't... re-read his post. Besides... in the USA Canadians ARE foreign nationals. Why would you find that funny. Do you think that people who do not live, work or pay taxes in Canada should get to vote in Canadian elections?

If you'd kindly point out to me where I said foreign nationals should get to vote in America I would be much obliged.

I only said it was a shame they don't have a say in our foreign policies, because that DOES effect them. They should mind their own business and vote in things which effect their country, but the sad thing is our foreign policy has become their business and it does effect their country. We are the ones not minding our own business, and that's what I meant. I didn't say Canadians or anyone else should be allowed to vote here, but on the other hand we should be leaving those foreign places alone as well.

Thunder
February 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM
As the very first poster in a thread based on a story that 15% of Canadians would give up the right to vote in their next election to vote in ours, you said (and I quote you)

You may not have intended to imply that foreign nationals should vote in our election... but that is exactly what you did. Your words may have carried the implication that YOU intended in different context... but words mean things and you did not use nearly enough to convey what you meant in this context. This thread isn't about having a say in our policies, it is about voting in our elections.

Laisrean
February 10th, 2008, 07:46 PM
As the very first poster in a thread based on a story that 15% of Canadians would give up the right to vote in their next election to vote in ours, you said (and I quote you)

You may not have intended to imply that foreign nationals should vote in our election... but that is exactly what you did. Your words may have carried the implication that YOU intended in different context... but words mean things and you did not use nearly enough to convey what you meant in this context. This thread isn't about having a say in our policies, it is about voting in our elections.

Maybe so, but that wasn't what I was driving at.

RainInanna
February 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM
While he didn't exclude Canadians he did Include everyone else. His post, taken as a whole, implies that he thinks it is a shame that the "entire world" cannot vote in American elections. It is that to which I was responding. I wasn't singling out Canadians.

No, I didn't feel you were singling them out, but I did feel Canadians are included in the "entire world". Since the thread is about Canadians, as the title and original post suggest, it would make sense to respond about Canadians.

Thunder
February 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Maybe so, but that wasn't what I was driving at.My response to your post was harsh... I apologize... my friend.

Laisrean
February 10th, 2008, 08:40 PM
My response to your post was harsh... I apologize... my friend.

Not at all. I find your accusations of marijuana smoking rather amusing. :hahugh:

Thunder
February 10th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Not at all. I find your accusations of marijuana smoking rather amusing. :hahugh: I am glad to hear that... because that is how they are intended. :smoke: