PDA

View Full Version : Any Opinions on Tarot Theory & Practice by Lyn de Angeles?

Phoenix
February 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I just picked up this book and the Llewellyn tarot deck. I am a beginner with Tarot and am initially happy with the deck (other than the fact that the bag fell to pieces within 10 minutes) but having just started the Lyn de Angeles book I am not sure what to think. One of the things that jumped out at me was that one should not read for oneself and I was wondering about others opinions on that topic as well. I do particularly like the section at the back that indicates some things to keep in mind when each card is found in a spread with certain other cards. So what are your thoughts? Is it a quality book? Is there another book that you would recommend for a beginner instead of (or in addition to) this book?

howlingforever
May 7th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Hey Phoenix,
Yeah, the Llewellyn Tarot rocks.

I grabbed Theory and Practice as soon as I saw it at work. Overall I like it. Her way of going about tarot is more... gung ho...can't pick the right word.... than other authors I've read. That's the feeling I got from it, there's nothing fluffy about this book.
The first part about time and events can be hard to get at first. I'm still not sure if I grasp it, but I haven't seen that in the several other books I've read on tarot. I would have liked to see something that encompassing as a beginner, others can dumb things down.
The section on the card meanings, just take it as her own views. Your language with the cards will change as you experience more with them.
I do like the part that gives a rundown of how she reads as a professional; a list of spreads, how her readings flow.

You can also check out "Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom" by Rachel Pollack. I'm just reading through it, but it's not a "list" book. It gives you a broader feeling for the cards, not keywords.
Another I like is "Tarot for Your Self" by Mary Greer. All these books are crammed with information and you'll find things to try out here and there when you're ready.
Hope this helps.
Svet

Amythyst
May 7th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I haven't read this book yet, but as far as reading for oneself-- I've been doing it for years. I find it helpful in letting me see ahead of time situations and choices that are going to confront me in the future, and it gives me retrospective reflection from the past as well as keeping me tuned and in sync with the present.

Lessarey
May 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
try this site, i even have the book that goes with the site, by Jaon Bunning... i found it very helpful

http://www.learntarot.com/