PDA

View Full Version : New puppy

ladyalpha
February 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
I don't think I have ever posted in this forum before, but I have recently aquired a new puppy. He ran away from his home and for the last week has been at my home refusing to leave, so we have taken him in. I was wondering if any of you that are more aware of breeds could share your opinions on what he might be? I know he is a mix, but I am not sure what those may be. His paws are huge and we think he is about 3 months old, so we are expecting him to be a large dog.

He is smart and has picked up commands easily. I have trained him how to come when called and have house broken him. I am still working on getting him to go out the door without having to be carried out, but he is starting to come back in without too much coaxing. I think he wasn't allowed in the house where he was living..and possibly my front door scares him, the whooshing sound it makes when you open it.
I was letting him stay outside but yesterday we were having freezing rain here, so I had to have him come in. My other dog has a dog house, but there is no way he was going to share it. lol

We have named him Jake. I am not sure if he has had his shots or not, since he just showed up one day. He appears to have been taken care of health wise. I am not sure if he is just a submissive type, if he is just getting used to us, or if there were problems where he was living. He has stopped submissive peeing for the most part and stopped rolling over to show his belly, but that took some time working with him. Now he just leaks a little urine when he has to be picked up to go outside. Something I am working with him on because he will get to a point that he will be too heavy for me to carry outside. lol

Pictures of him: http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n295/ladyalpha_01/Jake/

Sun Sprite
February 22nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Looks like a german shepherd mix to me.

Good luck with him!

ladyalpha
February 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
That's what my husband thinks too. Although a friend of mine said possibly rott mix. My husband thinks our outside dog sired him, lol. They look alike in the face and have a lot of the same coloring. He is a German Shepherd (possible mix German/Australian, the people weren't sure which male sired the litter).

Thanks for the wish of good luck. He seems to learn fast and wants to please so that is really helping the process. Right now the biggest factor is getting the cat to tolerate him a little bit more. The poor cat won't even eat in the same room now because he is so nervous when Jake moves, and Jake thinks all food is his. Joey (my cat) is not used to another animal in the house so there is a lot of adjusting going on. I was just really happy to get up this morning and see that Jake did not use the floor as his toilet. lol (Something I was really worried about).

Catiana
February 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
He's very cute. Be sure to get him to the vet as soon as you can for a check up, shots and neutering. Congrats on the new addition.

Shanti
February 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
He ran away from his home?

Dogs dont run away.

They get lost or are dumped.

If he got lost there could be a broken heart out there hoping someone finds him and returns him.

Hope you have checked resources like shelters, news papers, and such for lost dog info.
Hope you went around the neighborhood letting people know you found a dog.

Being a puppy, he could have had a fine home he was lost from. Puppy behavior doesnt often dictate care. Puppy behavior is a peek inside personality traits. He looks like he is in very good condition.

Arianne Weaver
February 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hope all goes well. By all means have him checked by a vet, and ask them to scan him for a microchip in case he's been "done". If it was me, (For what it's worth) , I wouldn't have him neutered until you've checked for his previous owner.
I think Shanti may be right, and he's a little lost lad!
Love, Arianne.

Bronach Druid
February 22nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
He is beautiful, I would guess he is a shepard/rottie mix. :lol:
My BIL has one and so did a neighbor of ours, he looks very similar.
I have to agree with both Catiana and Shanti too though, please be sure there isn't someone out there who is missing him and if you do keep him get him to the vets for his shots and neutering! :)

Shanti
February 22nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
Checking local vets too is sometimes away to find a lost pups home. Someone may have already had the little guy at a vet for the first puppy shots.

ladyalpha
February 22nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
I have been keeping an eye on the bullinton boards at our local stores, where people post lost animals and other things, and a local internet board where people are always posting a missing animal. There has been nothing on them about this puppy.
I am due to take my cat back to the vet in a couple of days for his shots, so I will check there also. And will be finding out if they have the ability to scan him (this is a small town vet, so while I'm sure they probably do, it is possible that they don't) to see if he has been chipped. Or if they have seen this puppy before. They always have posts up at their office for animals needing a new home, but they may have a post up for a lost puppy.

I definitely do not want to take this dog in with people attached to him. But, dogs are always running around this town and this area. They usually run on the roads here without a care in the world.
Usually they don't stay in my yard because I have a very territoral guarddog outside that does not like anything in the yard. But, this puppy came and has stayed. So rather than ignore him and let him starve, I would rather feed and take care of him.

I agree, he does seem like he was taken care of wherever he came from. He is mild mannered and health wise he seems in good shape. I just don't know where he came from, so I can't return him. A friend suggested putting up his picture, but then I worry with him being so cute that someone will claim him and not be his rightful owners, so she suggested just saying I found a dog and call me. Which might be the better way to go.
I do think if someone is missing him they would put something up or some how get the word out about it. I know I would if my animals went missing.

Thank you all for the suggestions and opinions of what he might be a mix of.

Shanti
February 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
I have been keeping an eye on the bullinton boards at our local stores, where people post lost animals and other things, and a local internet board where people are always posting a missing animal. There has been nothing on them about this puppy.
I am due to take my cat back to the vet in a couple of days for his shots, so I will check there also. And will be finding out if they have the ability to scan him (this is a small town vet, so while I'm sure they probably do, it is possible that they don't) to see if he has been chipped. Or if they have seen this puppy before. They always have posts up at their office for animals needing a new home, but they may have a post up for a lost puppy.

I definitely do not want to take this dog in with people attached to him. But, dogs are always running around this town and this area. They usually run on the roads here without a care in the world.
Usually they don't stay in my yard because I have a very territoral guarddog outside that does not like anything in the yard. But, this puppy came and has stayed. So rather than ignore him and let him starve, I would rather feed and take care of him.

I agree, he does seem like he was taken care of wherever he came from. He is mild mannered and health wise he seems in good shape. I just don't know where he came from, so I can't return him. A friend suggested putting up his picture, but then I worry with him being so cute that someone will claim him and not be his rightful owners, so she suggested just saying I found a dog and call me. Which might be the better way to go.
I do think if someone is missing him they would put something up or some how get the word out about it. I know I would if my animals went missing.

Thank you all for the suggestions and opinions of what he might be a mix of.
Of course you would take care for him. I dont think anyone would suggest otherwise.
Sometimes people are not sure how to get the word out of a lost dog.
Some assume he will never be returned because so many people like the finders keepers mentality.
There can be reasons no info has been placed where you have looked.
If they live out of town, they may have placed a notice just in their immediate area.
Some people dont realize how far a pup can get in a relatively short time, so they assume the pup must be in a home close by.

I found a dog once. It took several weeks to find the owner.
Turned out the owners were an elderly couple that loved their dog but it accidentally got out. The dog traveled over 10 miles to my place, across country, and in only a few hours.
They never thought it would go so far. I lived in the country and they in town. They posted pics on poles around their immediate neighborhood to no avail.
I found them through the local vet.
The vet didnt know the dog, but happen to see one of the signs.
These people were in tears when I showed up at their door with their baby. :)
If I hadn't put effort in searching, these people would of never seen their pet again.

You never know the facts till you try to find them out.

Putting up posting around town is just the nice thing to do in hopes of finding the owner. Dont describe the dog. That is what the owner would have to do to make claim.