PDA

View Full Version : fleas

lamoka
February 23rd, 2008, 06:53 AM
Okay homesteaders..
I categorically refuse to use flea oils on my pets due to toxicity for them and for everybody touching them so late summer into early winter my pets have fleas and I feel for them greatly and do the bath and combing thing and put out the bowls with lights for flea catchers (love this method)..
but I would really like something to stop them on the pets in the first place..
any words of wisdom..
I have tried the garlic tabs with the bromain (?) and it doesn't seem to work..
I have tried spraying with some essential oils but you gotta be so careful that I'm scared of hurting them.. and it really doesn't work either..
I rinse them in vinegar.. it works for awhile and is great for killing them on contact but wears too soon..

help before spring!!!
aho

Ulfurskona
February 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Avon Skin so soft. Excellent bug repellant (fleas, ticks and mosquitoes). Use small amounts of this after bathing and work it into the animals skin and fur. They'll look a little oily and bedraggled for a couple days till it soaks completely in, but it will repel the bugs. (If you have long haired animals this may not work as well without saturating them). Put it in a spritzer bottle and refresh it every couple of days.

Use cedar shavings as bedding (get an old zipper close pillow case --or a new one-- and fill it 3/4 full with cedar shavings you'd get for rodent bedding and use that for the animal beds). Make sure any outdoor shelters have fresh shavings about once a week or so.

lamoka
February 23rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
I use that in a recipe for my horses.. works great for flies and mosquitos.. my dogs and cats are indoor outdoor.. the oil sounds messy not only for them but for my furniture as well.. any other ideas.. uuugghhhh!
aho

Ulfurskona
February 23rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
just to use the oil on bedding and cedar shavings for any sleeping spots. it won't kill the fleas, but it will keep them off the animals.

Other than that, frequent bathing, and using a flea comb, I don' t realy have any other suggestions. Sorry.

Shanti
February 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
'Food grade' DE.
I use it on all animals with hair or feather.
No annual lice with the goats, which is a common and expected issue in goat keeping...but not for us! :)
No lice on my poultry.
No fleas on dogs or cats. That includes the barn cats too.

Lyrien
February 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Someone once told me to put out bowls of water with dishsoap in it. You'd have to keep the animals out of it, but it attracts bugs and they drown.

I'm allergic to fleas (had to get allergy shots), and very sensitive to mosquitoes so I use all the heavy chemicals...sorry, can't deal with it.

Shawn Blackwolf
February 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Sorry Lamoka...no suggestions...

Yet , I cannot help but quote my favorite author...

Robert Anton Wilson...

"Were it not for the fleas...I would still be a pantheist"

...:lol:...

Eternal Night
February 23rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Someone once told me to put out bowls of water with dishsoap in it. You'd have to keep the animals out of it, but it attracts bugs and they drown.

I'm allergic to fleas (had to get allergy shots), and very sensitive to mosquitoes so I use all the heavy chemicals...sorry, can't deal with it.

Yeah doesn't work that well.
I use heavy stuff but I have to get rid of my cats as my son is allergic to fleas and the chemicals in the only stuff that seems to work.....:(

Tanya
February 23rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
SHanti, what is DE???

OK my remedy.... wash all pet beding, then Put pennyroyal, and worm wood in your pet's bed.

In your house.. vacumn the rugs 2-3 times a week for a month to break their breeding cycle inside... vibrations encourage the eggs to hatch so the first time you vacumn will encourage a hatch then hit them agian and again til all the eggs are gone and no one has had a chance to breed... hehehhee evil huh?

Shanti
February 23rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
SHanti, what is DE???

OK my remedy.... wash all pet beding, then Put pennyroyal, and worm wood in your pet's bed.

In your house.. vacumn the rugs 2-3 times a week for a month to break their breeding cycle inside... vibrations encourage the eggs to hatch so the first time you vacumn will encourage a hatch then hit them agian and again til all the eggs are gone and no one has had a chance to breed... hehehhee evil huh?

Diatomaceous earth.
The exoskeletons of tiny micro organism.

The stuff is gold.

I know a cow farmer that had a prob with parasites on his cows. Nothing would kill the little bugs. I gave him DE. His prob is solved! :)
Now he dust his animals and barns with it.
Its fairly common in farming circuits like organic livestock operations.

You just have to dust the animals outside when there is no wind.
And for inside use, you have to cover your nose and mouth with a scarf or mask.
The dust can irritate lungs during application.
But once its applied, it safe.
And being food grade its safe to digest.
It gets rid of worms too like dog round worms.

Many people use it in all there animals feeds, for dogs, cats, goats, cows, horses, chickens, etc. Keeps the worms out of the gut and fly magots cant hatch in the poo.
(great for the fly control in rabbitries!)
1 cup of DE to 50 pounds of any feed.

Externally, DE works because it causes minute scratches on the bugs, like fleas, and it then dries them out. I have never seen it irritate the skin on an animal. It does dry your hands when you use it, but just surface dry. When I wash it off all is good as new. :)

Inside the gut, its a little different. Once wet, it works differently. I don't know how to explain it, but it will only kill soft worm parasites like round worms and hook worms, tape worms. It doesn't kill all parasites internally like flukes.

And in the poo, when the animals relieve themselves...flys lay eggs but they never hatch! The eggs absorb the DE. Any soft bodied bug gets on the poo...bye bye. :)

I love the stuff. I have no complaints and have been using it for years.
Every goat I ever bought has come with lice....till I DE them.

I never have fleas anymore. I can not find any and my dogs are all over the outdoors around all the livestock and wildlife.

Just never use anything but 'food grade'!!!!!
Food grade is pure. Its edible. Its all natural.

There are pool grade DE powders, and other grades, those have toxic chemicals added!!!

Note:
In the garden....slug control. Sprinkle around plants to stop all soft bodied crawlies like slugs.
Sprinkle on lettuce and cabbage to kill the cabbage worms.
Food grade can be sprinkled on all veggies to control soft bodied bugs and many hard covered pest.
Some hard shelled insects have such a tough exterior that DE can not effect them. But their larva will be killed.
Washes off easy so repeat after every rain.

Some people say DE kills fire ants. Sprinkle all over ant mound.
I haven't proven this for myself as my chickens ravished all the ants around here.

Lunacie
February 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Someone else suggested Diatomaceous Earth but I've never really gone looking for it. Where do you buy the food grade DE?

Don't know why we didn't have any problem with fleas last year, but after the wet winter we've had I expect a bumper flea crop in a couple of months. I've been using cedar mulch for the kitty litter box, so maybe that will help. But all of us are horribly allergic to flea bites so I'd rather do as much as I can to prevent them - without using chemicals which I'm also horribly allergic to.

We don't have fire ants, but we do get little bitty ants every spring and summer and maybe the DE would also help get rid of those little pests. So please-please-please Shanti, tell me where you buy your DE?

forestrangergrrl
February 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
i too want to know where to get de! my poor kitties (and therefore me too) had a horrible time w/ fleas the past couple of summers. nothing seems to get rid of them! fleas (and any blood sucking insect types) loooooove me. i'm like an all-you-can-eat buffet that's free and has a huge neon sign that can be seen for miles! ugh!

Lyrien
February 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
How often do you apply it to the animals?

And if you add it to the garden does it kill the worms?

Shanti
February 24th, 2008, 01:12 AM
How often do you apply it to the animals?

And if you add it to the garden does it kill the worms?

Worms are affected if they crawl onto it. When it rains it spreads so finely that it doesn't hurt anything after that and it doesn't accumulate as it breaks down and washes away like any organic based matter.
Its not something you want to be pouring all over the ground. You want it to break down so no mound building! ;) I keep it only on or directly around the plant I am protecting. You dont use it heavy, you dust with it lightly.

For those that asked.
I called the feed stores in my area and found one that stocks it in 1 pound bags up to 50 pound bags. Here its 3.25 per 50 pound bag.
I dont buy small quantities, but assume its cheap.
Several feed store can order it if i need it.
The feed stores that have or can get it are all in the city.
The feed store I buy from is a Purina distributor.

I prefer the feed stores that sell bulk feeds because they know it for animal use and that it has to be food grade.

I dont trust garden centers as I have seen them selling non-organic mixed stuff as food grade. Some I have seen was brown or grey colored.
Pure, Food grade DE is all white.

For pets I apply when ever needed, after a bath or getting all wet in the rain or after a 2-3 months have gone by....whichever comes first. :) I am on maintenance. For infestation, once a week.

Lightly dust across the top of the back. Rub in a little so theres no dust on top of the fur. Its so fine that it will work its way through the whole coat quickly. You dont have to work it in anywhere but on the top of the back.

If you have a bad area fleas like, put some there for fast kill.

You dont need to treat the house either. Everywhere the dogs or cats go, any flea that tries to jump on them will die and never get the chance to reproduce.
Flea nymphs never get to grow up.

Your dog or cats favorite sleeping areas will get left over dust that will take care of the ones waiting their and any eggs.
Animals with bedding or pillow beds, sprinkle under the layers to get eggs.

I was flea free when I first adopted DE practice in one week and have stayed that way. :)

It may be a pain for some to use because you have to be careful so no one breaths in the dust during application, but it works for us when nothing else would.
Both goat lice and fleas on dogs and cats are nightmares to deal with. I'd rather use DE knowing it works than mess around with so much stuff that never seems to really get the job done. All the while I am messing with homemade concoctions and chemicals, my critters are suffering.

I have breathed the dust several times. Its drying so I did feel a dry irritation for a day or so. It was no big deal but I wouldn't do that regularly. When critters accidentally breath it in, they sneeze and sometimes get a running nose for a day or so. No lingering effects but again, I wouldn't let that happen regularly.

Our breathing passages are not made for drying agents, hence it will irritate.

Bronach Druid
February 24th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I have always used frontline on my dogs, but this past year it hasn't worked at all! I hate putting poison on them so this looks like a great option to me. I did see a site which said it could be mixed with water and sprayed on pets or in the yard, have you ever tried that? Does it help to keep ticks off too?

Also I am curious to know if anyone has ever tried Nematodes for yard prevention or skin so soft on pets?

WynterWynd
February 24th, 2008, 02:11 AM
That gray crap is for pool use....our garden store trys to sell that as 'organic' DE :meanhead:
I get it from the feed store....put it on my carpets like carpet fresh...no fleas.
This year I'll be getting more of it since I have inherited 4 of the friendliest feral cats ever to live! One will run inside about 3 feet and right back out again when its morning feeding time. But I'm going to put DE all over the front and especially the back steps where they live so I don't get any of those little bastards in the house.

Shanti
February 24th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I have always used frontline on my dogs, but this past year it hasn't worked at all! I hate putting poison on them so this looks like a great option to me. I did see a site which said it could be mixed with water and sprayed on pets or in the yard, have you ever tried that? Does it help to keep ticks off too?

Also I am curious to know if anyone has ever tried Nematodes for yard prevention or skin so soft on pets?
I havent tried it wet.
I have something that works so for me, there is no sence in changing plus its not a prob applying since I am outside doing livestock too! :)
And for a lot of livestock and flocks of poultry, time would be to lost trying to apply it with mixing it. Its just faster and easier with a livestock duster for me.

Wood ticks the dogs still get but way less.
The wood ticks are usually found on their legs or feet where the DE gets washed off first living in a marsh area. Only a few though, through the summer.
And thats not bad considering its tick heaven here and we pull at least one a week off a family member.
(last year I was on MW with my Lyme disease experience.)

We did find 2 ticks on one barn cat last year. Thats it. :)

I tried Nematodes a long time ago. It worked for what I wanted but wasn't financially practical. I dont remember much about it anymore.

See now skin for soft on pets turns me off. They groom themselves and skin so soft isnt a food. I wont touch the stuff for any of my critters.

I tried it for myself and yukky junk IMO.
But I just dont see it doing anything for something as difficult as fleas, especially when the ingredients dont have anything that would faze a flea!
Except making the fleas soft as a babies behind. ;)
Sorry, I really hate skin so soft. Over priced and useless in my book. :)
Even as a skin softener I find its useless. I also have hands that are prone to being as rough as sandpaper and concrete chips and only hoof treatment cream helps them!!! :lol:

Shanti
February 24th, 2008, 02:12 AM
That gray crap is for pool use....our garden store trys to sell that as 'organic' DE :meanhead:
I get it from the feed store....put it on my carpets like carpet fresh...no fleas.
This year I'll be getting more of it since I have inherited 4 of the friendliest feral cats ever to live! One will run inside about 3 feet and right back out again when its morning feeding time. But I'm going to put DE all over the front and especially the back steps where they live so I don't get any of those little bastards in the house.
Carpets I wouldnt of thought of. LOL
Good idea!
I dont have any carpets. :weirdsmil

Lunacie
February 24th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Shanti, thank you so much for sharing this information. I'll check around and see if I can find a farm/feed store in our area that carries the good stuff.

TheWomanMonster
September 2nd, 2008, 12:04 AM
For dogs my family always had a lot of luck with the Brewers Yeast tabs with Garlic. Worked on fleas, mosquitoes and other biters. It also repels them which means if you don't have fleas in the home already pooch is less likely to carry them in from elsewhere.

Though I have to agree I LOVE DE.