PDA

View Full Version : Nader Is In the Race

Garnet
February 24th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I'm watching "Meet the Press", & Ralph Nader just announced he's running for president.

Laisrean
February 24th, 2008, 12:37 PM
And the G.O.P. breathes a collective sigh of relief.

Looks like 4 more years of a Republican Presidency. :abanana:

banondraig
February 24th, 2008, 12:41 PM

So you think nobody learned from last time?

Nox_Mortus
February 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM

I doubt it, he may make or break an election in a very tight race, but I doubt this one is going to be that tight considering the strength of the Democratic candidates, the weakness of the Republican candidates, and the fact that a very large portion of the country is pissed off at the Republicans.

Laisrean
February 24th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Nobody learned in 2004 even though he helped Bush win in 2000. Each time he has run there has been a Republican president.

Laisrean
February 24th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I doubt it, he may make or break an election in a very tight race, but I doubt this one is going to be that tight considering the strength of the Democratic candidates, the weakness of the Republican candidates, and the fact that a very large portion of the country is pissed off at the Republicans.

Close or not, the "good old boys" still know how to rig elections.

Autumn
February 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
He is one nasty flake, Hey I know! Maybe he's a secret supply side, libertarian conservative and he knows full well what he's doing!

banondraig
February 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
He is one nasty flake, Hey I know! Maybe he's a secret supply side, libertarian conservative and he knows full well what he's doing!

Except that no member of the Republican party, barring Ron Paul and the inevitable few I've never heard of, even remotely resembles a libertarian. Libertarians are against large overseas military operations and things contrary to civil liberties, such as wiretapping.

Autumn
February 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Except that no member of the Republican party, barring Ron Paul and the inevitable few I've never heard of, even remotely resembles a libertarian. Libertarians are against large overseas military operations and things contrary to civil liberties, such as wiretapping.

I was trying to crack a joke, I guess it fell flat...:weirdsmil

Laisrean
February 24th, 2008, 04:11 PM

Yep. But on the other hand... so is Ralph Nader! :hairraise

Perhaps Autumn was onto something?

banondraig
February 24th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Yep. But on the other hand... so is Ralph Nader! :hairraise

Perhaps Autumn was onto something?

hmm . . . Maybe she is.

Thunder
February 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Nader didn't... what exactly is his agenda, anyway?

Laisrean
February 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Nader didn't... what exactly is his agenda, anyway?

Perhaps the same as those who voted for him: change.

Thunder
February 24th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Perhaps the same as those who voted for him: change.That makes no sense. Why would someone who doesn't have a snowflake's chance in Hell of actually winning run when the only possible affect would be to siphon votes away from the candidate with views most similar to your own, hence, assuring that things do NOT change?

Autumn
February 24th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Neither Nader nor the confused wool who vote for him understand that he has no chance. Generally when it's pointed out to them they claim "With that attitude nothing will change" Our system was designed and eveolved for two parties. If we want change we have to hijack a party and change it not launch 3rd party candidacies and hand elections to the other party. Ross Perot figured that out after one go round, maybe we can send him around to slap some sense into Nader.

Thunder
February 24th, 2008, 06:35 PM
It simply breaks my heart when people that old are that stupid.

Sequoia
February 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Oh lord, not a third-party candidate. Doesn't he realize he just contributes to the PROBLEM?

Please, PLEASE let him drop out quickly. :sick:

Laisrean
February 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM
That makes no sense. Why would someone who doesn't have a snowflake's chance in Hell of actually winning run when the only possible affect would be to siphon votes away from the candidate with views most similar to your own, hence, assuring that things do NOT change?

Well, if he got 5% then that would qualify him (or his party) for matching funds the next time around. Plus it forces his competition to actually make an effort so those votes aren't siphoned off. If the competition loses voters to him then that's their fault and not his.

Laisrean
February 24th, 2008, 07:59 PM
It simply breaks my heart when people that old are that stupid.

There is no correlation between age and intelligence. Usually time has a tendency to weed out the dumb ones before they reach old age, though, but that's about it.

Garnet
February 24th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Well, if he got 5% then that would qualify him (or his party) for matching funds the next time around.

Nader insists he will NOT take matching funds or money from PACs or lobbyists, only 'contributions from individuals'.

Liberty
February 25th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Oy, again?

Laisrean
February 25th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Nader insists he will NOT take matching funds or money from PACs or lobbyists, only 'contributions from individuals'.

I'm talking about funds from the Gov't.

Autumn
February 25th, 2008, 10:14 AM
What Ralph Nader is lacking is common sense. He reminds me of the high minded hippy dude that insists that consensus must be used to run the house/commune/coven and then uses that consensus to hamstring the group to HIS agenda because he has no clue that the world isn't going to change on a dime.

Laisrean
February 25th, 2008, 11:52 AM
He does have some good ideas, though. Even people who would never vote for him or even hate him for running often applaud many of the the things he has to say. Whether he has a chance or not, he does represent change and that is what draws people to vote for him.

The Democrats don't actually have ideas. Once they are elected they do the same crap as the Republicans and vice versa. Many voters are tired of the same old crap with every president. Nader brings up things that Dems and Reps refuse to talk about or act on. If they lose votes to him then they deserve to lose them. Period.

Phoenix Blue
February 25th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Oh lord, not a third-party candidate. Doesn't he realize he just contributes to the PROBLEM?

Please, PLEASE let him drop out quickly. :sick:
Wait, what?

The problem isn't that a third-party candidate wants to run for president. The problem is that the Republican and Democratic parties have the current political system so locked-down in their collective favor to begin with.

Autumn
February 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Yes I agree PB, however 3rd party candidates for the presidency are highly unlikely to change that. I would say it's very close to impossible for one to win and all it ever does is sabotage the side of the aisle the 3rd party person emerged from.

Elect 3rd party people to the house and senate in enough numbers and that will change the system. Until then 3rd party people are finished before they start.