PDA

View Full Version : Chickens coming out the yim yam!

SSanf
March 7th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I got lazy on the egg gathering because I had more than I could eat and everyone went broody! Eight hatched last week and about 20 more eggs are being brooded!

Guess I will be taking some to sell at the poultry shows this summer!

Well, I will have pick of the best for breeders, anyway.

Against The Tide
March 7th, 2008, 03:20 AM
I congradulate the wealth of life on your farm.
How much do little chickypoos go for these days?

TheWomanMonster
March 7th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Wow. Fantastic!

That'll make for a lot of chicken stew.
:smile:

Cindlady2
March 7th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I guess you'll be needing a little extra feed too. :) Well, I'm sure you'll get a good price for your extra brood!

SSanf
March 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I congradulate the wealth of life on your farm.
How much do little chickypoos go for these days?Well, these are Seramas which means they are competitive show birds. So, the price depends on how well they might do in competition. For a crooked tail roo, you might be lucky to give him away free for a pet. For a really good bird, you could get up to $150! Otherwise, I guess, between $10 and $50 per bird, depending on the demands of the market and the quality of the bird.

I had one very small chick hatch. If it is female and fertile, I could do well breeding her to a small roo and get some really good ones. If it is a roo, he sure may get a lot of brides when he is grown if he proves to be up to the job. Time will tell.

I thought fertility would be a problem so I was not concerned with how many were being brooded. But, YIKES! Even if no more hatch, I am getting a good hatch rate.

My darling daughter just took 3, so that is good. She also has a small flock and this will spread the genetic material around a bit.

Bought 50 pounds of chick starter and 150 pounds of regular chicken food yesterday. Cost $43.But, with spring and fresh garden scraps coming soon, that should last nearly forever. I also get outdated bread for free. They love that when I have some get too old for me to eat. Come on spring! Momma needs free chicken food! If I sell only 4 or 5 birds really cheap this summer, they all will eat for free.

I think these would be better served like Cornish Game Hens than stew. One bird is a serving on a plate! LOL! Their eggs are about the size of commercial size small if you remember what those looked like. I don't think they are even sold any more.

Damn! It is snowing out.

banondraig
March 7th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I think these would be better served like Cornish Game Hens than stew. One bird is a serving on a plate! LOL! Their eggs are about the size of commercial size small if you remember what those looked like. I don't think they are even sold any more.

I don't think I've ever seen any. I always wondered what happened to the non-large eggs.

SSanf
March 7th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Another chick just hatched! Here we go on brood 2! There are 4 broods!

SphinYote
March 7th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I envy you.

Store eggs are disgusting.

Farm eggs (especially free range, and it sounds like you're giving them decent food, which helps enormously) are much better.

The only way I can even eat storebrought, is if they're heavily mixed with other things--t0lerable in fried rice, for example.

*is craving fresh eggs, now* :(