PDA

View Full Version : Racist remark forces Clinton supporter to quit

Laisrean
March 13th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080313/pl_nm/usa_politics_dc_22)

CHICAGO (Reuters) - A high-profile supporter quit Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign on Wednesday after a remark about black Democratic rival Barack Obama was interpreted as racist.

Geraldine Ferraro, the only woman to run on a major U.S. party's White House ticket, had said Obama was leading Clinton in the race for the Democratic party nomination for November's presidential election because he was black.

Ferraro, the trailblazing 1984 Democratic vice presidential candidate, was a member of Clinton's finance committee and raised funds for the New York senator and former first lady before stepping down, a campaign spokesman said.

I think Hillary's campaign is mistaken. If Obama is ahead in the polls just because he is black, then why did Sharpton's and Jackson's campaigns do so poorly each time they ran? Hmm? Maybe it is because her campaign is more about negativity and Obama is running a positive campaign.

Anyways I seriously hope she drops out soon. I for one am sick of her.

TygerTyger
March 13th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Would Geraldine Ferraro's remark be considered racist if it were true?

It is a fact that Barack Obama is black.
It is a fact that his campaign is seen as the more successful.

The only area of doubt is as to why it is more successful?

If this is because as a black politician he has motivated more black people to participate in the elctoral voting process then it might well be a fact that the only reason why he is winning is because he's black!

Racism is usually based on affiriming truths about people that are not based on fact, it's a new one on me when it is turned the other way around!

Phoenix Blue
March 13th, 2008, 08:44 AM
It is a fact that Barack Obama is black.
It is a fact that his campaign is seen as the more successful.
Yes, and trying to put the two together the way Ferraro did is a classic causal fallacy.

David19
March 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I don't think that she was an idiot for saying it, and it probably has more to do with his policies (basically, he's a better spin doctor than Hilary, as all politicians are currupt and power hungry anyway).

Although I do have one theory that some people will vote for Obama 'cause he's a man, not 'cause he's black, but 'cause they can't stand the thought of a female president (I think I read somewhere that women, white and black, were treated worse than black males, like black males got the vote before white women, etc).

Anyway, that's only a theory I have that might be wrong, but I think the main reasons are probably Obama has better policies, although patriarchy could be one issue that's blocking Hilary.

Philosophia
March 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I don't think that she was an idiot for saying it, and it probably has more to do with his policies (basically, he's a better spin doctor than Hilary, as all politicians are currupt and power hungry anyway).

Although I do have one theory that some people will vote for Obama 'cause he's a man, not 'cause he's black, but 'cause they can't stand the thought of a female president (I think I read somewhere that women, white and black, were treated worse than black males, like black males got the vote before white women, etc).

Anyway, that's only a theory I have that might be wrong, but I think the main reasons are probably Obama has better policies, although patriarchy could be one issue that's blocking Hilary.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. In my opinion, it has nothing to do with Hilary being a woman but everything to do with her policies, statements, and her husband being a very close supporter.

As a feminist, I don't think the focus should be on her gender or on Obama's race but, unfortunately, to some it is an issue and they'll vote based on it. Also, the patriarchal issue is, in my opinion, not relevant. Hilary is generally disliked amongst many feminists because she is wishy-washy, too reliant on her husband for political gains, her insincere attempts at destroying Obama, her voting record, etc..

Moonlight's Daughter
March 14th, 2008, 02:42 PM
At this point I am sick of BOTH of them by now-I wish they would stop attacking eachother and just focus on thier own campaigns. I know all of them do it but really, it's like they are in high school!

SphinYote
March 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM
At the rate they're going, neither one is going to have any campaign supporters left because they're going to have to fire them one by one for name-calling....

pawnman
March 14th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080313/pl_nm/usa_politics_dc_22)

I think Hillary's campaign is mistaken. If Obama is ahead in the polls just because he is black, then why did Sharpton's and Jackson's campaigns do so poorly each time they ran? Hmm? Maybe it is because her campaign is more about negativity and Obama is running a positive campaign.

Anyways I seriously hope she drops out soon. I for one am sick of her.

If Sharpton and Jackson had run something other than a farce of a campaign, perhaps they would have done better. Obama hasn't made his race the centerpiece of his campaign (although his wife sure seems to be trying to do that).

SwordsFlameSong
March 14th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Quite frankly, I like Obama because he is a fresher face and may be a good force for the country. I voted for Clinton but I am not overly thrilled with what I have seen of Hillary so she won't get my vote because I voted for her hubby. I am also not enamoured of McCain. Which is funny as, a few years ago, I thought he was a good choice. Again, I don't like what I have seen of him this campaign.

As far as rascist comments. I think Obama's minister should shut up. He won't cause me to vote elsewhere if I go the Obama route but I don't feel he is helping it either.

PrincessKLS
March 14th, 2008, 09:14 PM
We had a woman vice-presidential nominee back in 1984?

Phoenix Blue
March 14th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Yup. She was Walter Mondale's runningmate for the Democratic Party's ticket.

Laisrean
March 15th, 2008, 12:02 AM
We had a woman vice-presidential nominee back in 1984?

Yeah. Back in 2000 Nader's running mate was a woman, and there have been a few others in the 3rd parties as well. Ferraro was the only major party vp candidate, though.

Ben Trismegistus
March 15th, 2008, 09:48 AM
It is true that there are some people who would vote for or against Obama because he is black.
It is equally trut that there are some people who would vote for or against Clinton because she is a woman.

In fact, those people probably cancel one another out, leaving those who vote based on substantive qualities to pick the winner.

In that way, Obama is ahead because his brand of new-Washington optimism appeals to more people (by and large) than Clinton's brand of old-Washington cynicism and pragmatism.

Ferraro's statement, regardless of whether or not it was true, was aimed at reducing and minimizing Obama's good qualities. And that's why the comment was offensive.

pawnman
March 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Interesting. Controversy from both campaigns, for the same reason.