PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Red Ring of Death - E74 Error - HELP!

BlackLili
April 9th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Okay Brains - huddle up! :hutone:

My Beloved 360 did the Red Ring of Death Dance to me last week. :ghost:

The error you ask? E74 - System Error (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941377)

I've researched it. The forums are chock full of idiots like me (http://www.fixya.com/search/p166458-microsoft_xbox_360_console/e74) crying out "WHY?!?!?!" in anguished tones to the cold distant gods of Microsoft.

It's been suggested that it could be as simple as a power supply issue (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2005/12/01/xbox_error_e74_on_my_retail_machine.html)

- but a replacement cord would cost me $75 at least (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0013CS5II/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1207770215&sr=1-2&condition=all)if I want a new one,

while getting an out-of-warranty replacement/refurb'ed console (http://www.xbox.com/support/contact) will be about $100, before shipping.

So my lovelies - who here of the Gamer Geeks has had their 360 go Red on them, and has anyone seen a case like this or could help?:braindrai

mephistopheles
April 9th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Now, keep in mind I know NOTHING about these things... However, I seem to remember my brother telling his friend the other day that it could be caused by overheating, and to just shut it off for a bit. Could you just find a cheaper cord on eBay if you need a new one? I can't imagine paying $75 for a freaking CORD... I will ask him when he gets home if he has any ideas.

mtpathy
April 9th, 2008, 04:30 PM
call up the customer service #, they'll extend your warranty for 3yrs and send you a carboard casket to send your xbox to them, then they'll send you a "new" xbox360.

i had this happen to me 3 times within the first 6months of owning my xbox360, i got sick of it and just sold it and all my games for $700.00.

this hasnt killed the chance of me buying the next generation of xbox, although ill never buy another 360 the games on it are damn fun, and i do miss playing in my Gears of War clan :)

:update:
"Xbox 360: One red light flashes on the Ring of Light and you receive the "E74" error message"

this isnt the "red ring of death", thats when the whole circle is flashing except for the upper right side, so yes it could very well
be a issue with the cable, buy it keep the reciep and take it back and get your $ back if it doesnt fix the issue.

Infinite Grey
April 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Here is the solution:

Play to the great god of gaming Arcadia; sacrificing at least 25 Noobs in a row with head shots to gain the venerated position of "Godlike". Behold the words of the Lords of Gamming.

Red Ring Might Not Mean Death:
Before you cry out in pain, turn the 360 off, disconnect all of its cables, reconnect them, and turn it back on. If you still see the evil red lights, turn it off again, disconnect the hard drive, and turn it back on. If the 360 acts normal, the hard drive might be toast.

If the red ring of death still plagues you; Arcadia commands you to call microsoft and request a coffin. OR lay your soul and xbox into the hands of Sparky the God of l33t hardware tweaks.

Red Ring Fix (http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/6/16/4353)
I discovered the GPU chip on my 360 possibly had some sort of thermal interface material (TIM) failure. I compared mine to how another one looked over at Anandtech and discovered mine was indeed different. Mine had some sort of metallic silver cover over the heatsink paste on the heatsink, and very little if any paste actually came into contact with the GPU die itself.

Note: Some TIMs are designed to have a cover over the paste. I personally have never seen one, so at least to me they are rare. (I've been building PCs since 1996.) Your experience may vary. What I found on my 360's GPU could actually be a fully functional TIM in theory, but mine seemed to be experiencing overheating issues.

With the troubleshooting gears turning in my head, it made sense that the GPU might be overheating. I thought I would replace the TIM with some Arctic Silver, and see what happens. So far, this repair has worked for my 360. I've been racking up as much play time as possible, so far 2+ hours, and no lockups whatsoever. This is the most it has let me play in two weeks. Before, I couldn't play 2 minutes without it locking up, much less an hour.

BeyondWeird
April 9th, 2008, 05:40 PM
E74: There is high chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip near the AV cable connection) it can also be caused by a faulty AV cable so check that first. In some cases it is a problem with the GPU and may be repairable by doing the x-clamp replacement.

Solution 1:
Try using someone else's AV cable, if the problem still occurs, then there is an internal problem with the scaler chip or the GPU and will require repair

Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071210112835AAfvqRm

Solution 2:

1. Turn off the console, disconnect and reconnect all cables, then turn the console back again.
2. If an Xbox Hard Disk Drive is attached to the console, turn off the console, and then remove the Hard Disk. Turn on the console and test for the error. If the error does not reoccur, turn off the console and reattach the Hard Disk. Alternate testing with the hard drive connected and removed to see if the error occurs only while the hard drive is attached.
3. If an Xbox Memory Unit (MU) is plugged in to the console, turn off the console, and then remove the Memory Unit. Turn on the console again and test for the error. If the error does not reoccur, turn off the console and reinsert the MU. Alternate testing with the MU inserted and removed to see if the error occurs only while the MU is inserted.

source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907536/en-us

BlackLili
April 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM
call up the customer service #, they'll extend your warranty for 3yrs and send you a carboard casket to send your xbox to them, then they'll send you a "new" xbox360.

i had this happen to me 3 times within the first 6months of owning my xbox360, i got sick of it and just sold it and all my games for $700.00.

this hasnt killed the chance of me buying the next generation of xbox, although ill never buy another 360 the games on it are damn fun, and i do miss playing in my Gears of War clan :)

:update:
"Xbox 360: One red light flashes on the Ring of Light and you receive the "E74" error message"

this isnt the "red ring of death", thats when the whole circle is flashing except for the upper right side, so yes it could very well
be a issue with the cable, buy it keep the reciep and take it back and get your $ back if it doesnt fix the issue.
Okay, so the Xbox wasn't bought by me or registered to my name, so it's already out of warranty, which means that they'll charge me the $100 for an out-of-warranty refurb'ed console. Like I already said. So thanks, but yeah, I know about it. I'm searching for a cheaper solution.

Also, I didn't get the "one ring" error. All 3 of my lights are red. Not orange, red. Not two, not one, three. So while the update is appreciated, it doesn't seem to help in this instance.

BlackLili
April 9th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Here is the solution:

Play to the great god of gaming Arcadia; sacrificing at least 25 Noobs in a row with head shots to gain the venerated position of "Godlike". Behold the words of the Lords of Gamming.

Red Ring Might Not Mean Death:
Before you cry out in pain, turn the 360 off, disconnect all of its cables, reconnect them, and turn it back on. If you still see the evil red lights, turn it off again, disconnect the hard drive, and turn it back on. If the 360 acts normal, the hard drive might be toast.

If the red ring of death still plagues you; Arcadia commands you to call microsoft and request a coffin. OR lay your soul and xbox into the hands of Sparky the God of l33t hardware tweaks.

Red Ring Fix (http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/6/16/4353)
I discovered the GPU chip on my 360 possibly had some sort of thermal interface material (TIM) failure. I compared mine to how another one looked over at Anandtech and discovered mine was indeed different. Mine had some sort of metallic silver cover over the heatsink paste on the heatsink, and very little if any paste actually came into contact with the GPU die itself.

Note: Some TIMs are designed to have a cover over the paste. I personally have never seen one, so at least to me they are rare. (I've been building PCs since 1996.) Your experience may vary. What I found on my 360's GPU could actually be a fully functional TIM in theory, but mine seemed to be experiencing overheating issues.

With the troubleshooting gears turning in my head, it made sense that the GPU might be overheating. I thought I would replace the TIM with some Arctic Silver, and see what happens. So far, this repair has worked for my 360. I've been racking up as much play time as possible, so far 2+ hours, and no lockups whatsoever. This is the most it has let me play in two weeks. Before, I couldn't play 2 minutes without it locking up, much less an hour.
I think it might mean I'm calling Sparky. Crud.

Tried the hard reboot already - no go. Might still be that loose chip. Waiting on a spare AV power source to try hooking it up to so we can see if it's the "easy" answer.

You know, I never had game consoles for just this reason as a kid. These things are too damn expensive to fix and replace every so often and they just don't last for the money that's put into them.

BlackLili
April 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Now, keep in mind I know NOTHING about these things... However, I seem to remember my brother telling his friend the other day that it could be caused by overheating, and to just shut it off for a bit. Could you just find a cheaper cord on eBay if you need a new one? I can't imagine paying $75 for a freaking CORD... I will ask him when he gets home if he has any ideas.
Most of the cheaper ones I found are just the AV power source - which ultimately might be the problem, but then, it could just be a short in the actual power cord as well. The power source + cord runs around $75 online from sellers, if you count shipping. I found one I'll go with on Amazon offering the new source+ cord for $69 + $4 shipping, and that's as cheap as I found honestly new cords not "like new" used ones.

But I agree. $75 for even so much as the cord is ****ing ridiculous.