PDA

View Full Version : Book Section

Kaylara
February 10th, 2001, 02:17 AM
-- Posted by mol on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969
Should I add a book section to the forums? Where we can talk about and review different books.

-- Posted by Sunsong on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969
Sounds good to me.

-- Posted by chaos on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Quote: from mol on 6:55 pm on Jan. 28, 2001
Should I add a book section to the forums? Where we can talk about and review different books.

Also looks like you need a Poetry section! :)

-- Posted by Rosabelle on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969
yeh. that would be nice. or we could just stay here.

if you did make a poem or book forum i wouldnt mind moderating it if mol doesnt want to because you are very busy as it is.
Rosabelle :)

-- Posted by semele on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969
I wonder if Mol's suggestion had anything to do with the fact that we just spent too much money at our favorite bookstore....again!!
I do think it sounds fun though.
Semele

-- Posted by deepflame on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969
I think adding a book section is a good idea. I would like to know what others think makes a good book.
Untill then,
Nancy
~deepflame~

Quote: from deepflame on 12:29 pm on Jan. 30, 2001
I think adding a book section is a good idea. I would like to know what others think makes a good book.
Untill then,
Nancy

The main componant of a good book for me is that it is easy to read. Not bogged down with so many unfamiliar terms that you have to have a dictionary handy. For instance I am extremely interested in astrology, but have yet to find a good easy to follow book that is for beginners. So if anyone knows of one please help!
Semele
~deepflame~

Sweety, you have to watch how you quote, because I have no idea what is going on in that last post!

haha! :) :)

Love ya, though.

i dont think you need separate forums for book reviews and poetry. i think they could share.
or else there will be too many forums.
Rosabelle

Quote: from mol on 12:36 pm on Jan. 30, 2001
Sweety, you have to watch how you quote, because I have no idea what is going on in that last post!

haha! :) :)

Well Creep!!! I think I posted my thing in the middle of her post!!!
Oh well....I'm not the computer geek in the family. That's what I married you for!
Semele

Love ya, though.

aaaggghhhh...it did it again!!!
Semele

aaahhh, that is so sweet. haha
Rosabelle

Quote: from semele on 1:12 pm on Jan. 30, 2001
aaaggghhhh...it did it again!!!
Semele

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:biggrin:

-- Posted by Kiarda on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969
lol..ok you two...so I gotta ask..btw, I think we could review books in here..So how do you all get the faces in your posts?..oops, guess I should ask that in the questions forum huh

Quote: from Kiarda on 2:17 pm on Jan. 31, 2001
lol..ok you two...so I gotta ask..btw, I think we could review books in here..So how do you all get the faces in your posts?..oops, guess I should ask that in the questions forum huh

If you click on help at the top of the page it will open a box of help topics. Well at the bottom of that box is a button that says view emoticons and if you click it you will see a list of them and how to get em.
Semele

Quote: from Kiarda on 2:17 pm on Jan. 31, 2001

ALSO: when you are posting...you will notice at your right it says "Emoticons are enabled." If you click on that it will popup a small window with a key to all of them...

Either way...now you have options. The name of the game.

-- Posted by Kiarda on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969
My emoticons are enabled and I still can't get them..hmm..

Quote: from Kiarda on 12:45 pm on Feb. 1, 2001
My emoticons are enabled and I still can't get them..hmm..

Did you click on them?

See if you wrote this in a message... :*biggrin*: and you leave out the Stars...then it would display this...
:biggrin:

-- Posted by Jazzmine on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969
I think that we could have books and poetry in the same forum also. If anyone is willing to get started I have one.
I did all the lessons in Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft and thought that this book was written well for beginners to the Craft. Anyone else have any thoughts on this book?

-- Posted by eaglewolf on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Witchcraft and thought that this book was written well for beginners to the Craft. Anyone else have any thoughts on this book?

The last time I read that book was about 10 years ago! I thought it was insightful, but not the best book for beginners. There are many books which I would recommend to new Pagans before this one.

It was a great book, however, and I do recommend it for everyone to read, including 'newbies' :biggrin:

Live True

~ew

-- Posted by Litha on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969
gold ole' Uncle Bucky's Blue Book has been a standard, and I like it as well although I have found the best overall intro book to be Eileen Holland's "The Wicca Handbook"
For those visually oriented "The ILlustrated Guide to Wiccs" by Tony and AIleen Grist is a fab book.

As long as we are recommending books, has anyone read The Celestine Prophecy?? i have mentioned it before but it is a great book. It is written as a novel and the characters are poorly developed but the content is fantastic. I have yet to get Mol to actually read it. Please someone tell me they know what I am talking about. I Love This Book!!!
Semele

I am just not the novel type. Unless it is Isaac Asimov. :biggrin:

Anyway, I do like Buckland's book. It is very good and I have went through it...in fact it probably would be a great way to hold a class here someday for beginners to the Craft. Hmmm. Alas, I dont have the book in my posession or I would do that. Of course, someone else could do it...in the New Pagans forum..

Takers (Heh)?

-- Posted by eaglewolf on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969
Wow, I for one, REALLY do wish I had the time...

I would be honored to hold a class/workshop based on this book, and others.

Maybe someday... :(

~ew

-- Posted by Litha on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969
Celestine Prophecy was fab! I just sent the 4 tape audio book of the 10th Insight to my best friend
who's bday was yesterday. I know she will just love it!
(Interestingly, her name is Brigid and she is an accupunctuist and traditional oriental healer who has a sister named Diana, who works as a corporate head
hunter. I often wonder what their parents were thinking...)

-- Posted by ravens eye on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Quote: from mol on 6:55 pm on Jan. 28, 2001

Yes! Please! I have been looking all over for just such a place...to see which books are good and insightful and which are just, well, not worth my money.....

-Krissy

Yes! Please! I have been looking all over for just such a place...to see which books are good and insightful and which are just, well, not worth my money.....
-Krissy

Well, I think we pretty much nixed the Book forum...because really it should go on topic. Tarot books in the Tarot forum...Magick books in the..etc. You get the idea.

But, if you just want a general review of a book...post in here! Just make your subject look like this:

[Review] Bucklands Complete Book Of...

Like that. Many Blessings!

Angel
February 11th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Yes, yes, yes. books are great of course we should post stuff about them!!

mol
February 11th, 2001, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Angel
Yes, yes, yes. books are great of course we should post stuff about them!!

I added a forum for Books! Welcome to the Community! We hope to see you here often.

Lynnaea
February 14th, 2001, 04:16 PM
_-- Posted by semele on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969
As long as we are recommending books, has anyone read The Celestine Prophecy?? i have
mentioned it before but it is a great book. It is written as a novel and the characters are poorly developed but the content is fantastic. I have yet to get Mol to actually read it. Please someone tell me they know what I am talking about. I Love This Book!!!
Semele
YES, I bought the Celestine Prophecy about 7 years ago when it was on the best seller list. It is great, not specific to any relgion, very spiritual. All my new age friends, pagan friends, and even my mother's Methodist preacher were recommending it. A must for anyone that wants to learn to see auras, too.

Semele
February 14th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Indeed it is a must read. Very easy read as well I might add. I finally struck a deal with Mol. He has to read it and in turn I have to attempt to read and understand Book of Lies by AC. Tough but I think I can handle it.
Semele

Kaylara
February 14th, 2001, 04:44 PM
An excellent book! Has anyone read the sequels to it?

BB,
Kaylara

Raevyn
February 23rd, 2003, 03:37 PM
Ok I've seen this book many many times, but thought it looked too new age-y. Kind of like a self help book rather then info about practicing Paganism, know what I mean (no offense to self help books, but I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for)?

I'm not sure if I'm getting my point across. What I'm asking is, what is this book about? What are the subjects covered? What are the ideas presented, in general? I'm of course not asking for a copy of it posted here, but a synopsis of what it's about. Please?

Raevyn
February 23rd, 2003, 03:38 PM
Wow, I just bumped a thread that is over 2 years old :)

MammaStar
February 23rd, 2003, 04:03 PM
I read it a long time ago. For me, it started me questioning all the stuff that I had been force fed since birth. Yeah, it was definitely New Age-y, but I liked it.

It's about a man's quest to find this "place" that turns out exists on another plane. I read it a long while back so I can't remember everything. He has to follow steps to reach his destination.

I think someone who has read it either more recently or who just has a better memory than myself is probably better to answer this question. :)

mol
February 23rd, 2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Raevyn

I'm not sure if I'm getting my point across. What I'm asking is, what is this book about? What are the subjects covered? What are the ideas presented, in general? I'm of course not asking for a copy of it posted here, but a synopsis of what it's about. Please?

I am sure you will understand when I say there is NO WAY for me to tell you what the book is about. The Beast said that "there are few written works that come through the ages to change the way 'We' are."

You have to just read it.

Faery-Wings
February 24th, 2003, 08:29 AM
I read that geesh, I am guessing 8-9 years ago. It was before we moved here cuz the book got lost in the move.

It is a allegorical journey for a person into higher awareness.

Yeah, ....huh?

It is a really easy to read book- you could definitely finish it in a day or two, but it opened my awareness to so many new thoughts and ideas, like Starlite said. And I wouldn't say it was Pagan. It was more personal spirituality, not religion at all. I'd like to read it again someday- I have the workbook to go along with it and I think I lost the book before I got to use it. :lol:

mol
March 8th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by chryssi1
And I wouldn't say it was Pagan. It was more personal spirituality, not religion at all.

You hit the nail. This book surpasses our labels. It IS about pure spirituality and the connection between us and the Universe. Everyone should read it, at least, twice.