PDA

View Full Version : "This Is How We Lost to the White Man"

BlackLili
April 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I found this while scrolling thru news stories Saturday morning. While the author is obviously a personal friend of Cosby's, he doesn't pull any punches when it comes to the flaws he finds in the "call-outs" delivered by Cosby thruout the nation. Delivered respectfully but with a deadly accuracy, the author holds up the comedian and orator's shtick to a higher standard.

Written for The Atlantic Monthly magazine by Ta-Nehisi Coates, the author of The Beautiful Struggle: A Father, Two Sons, and an Unlikely Road to Manhood, published later this month.

"This Is How We Lost to the White Man"
'The Audacity of Bill Cosby's Conservatism' (http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200805/cosby)

/favorite snip

Toward the end of our lunch, in a long, rambling monologue, Cosby told me, “If you looked at me and said, ‘Why is he doing this? Why right now?,’ you could probably say, ‘He’s having a resurgence of his childhood.’ What do I need if I am a child today? I need people to guide me. I need the possibility of change. I need people to stop saying I can’t pull myself up by my own bootstraps. They say that’s a myth. But these other people have their mythical stories—why can’t we have our own?”

Sequoia
April 13th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I just wanted you to know that I did read the article, and found it interesting.

But I'm not really sure what else to say about it.

BlackLili
April 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I just wanted you to know that I did read the article, and found it interesting.

But I'm not really sure what else to say about it.
Sometimes articles don't need to be discussed. This was interesting to me because so many folks believe Cosby can do no wrong - and while I love him deeply as a speaker and a comedian, I had some of the same thoughts about his argument but didn't feel valid in bringing any of them up because they were about black men and their history in this country and their future - and as a white woman I thought it would be irrelevant and inappropriate to comment that way.

I'm a great believer in equality and historical accuracy.

I also wish that more people could go to Cosby's "call outs" because I believe they are empowering and uplifting. I think all men and women could take something positive and constructive away from it.

Thanks for replying though - I'd forgotten that I posted this and I see some other folks have been reading it and digesting it as well. :hugz: