PDA

View Full Version : Dog ate a pork chop bone

enchancea
April 14th, 2008, 02:20 PM
My dog got a hold of a pork chop bone and he has had 2 bowel movements so far today. The first was fine and the second one was softer and had a blood in it along with the pork chop bone. I'm really worried. He's acting fine, playing, eating etc... I checked his back end and there isn't any blood back there. Should I call the vet right away or should everything be ok?

Lunacie
April 14th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Call the vet and ask if it's anything to be worried about. They can tell you what to watch for, but since he's not in pain and is playing and eating okay, you probably don't have to rush him in for tests or treatment. Give him a scratch on the neck for me.

Tanya
April 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM
if you saw red blood that means an irritation near the end of his system... so unless he seems distressed (not eating, acting sore etc...) i would let nature take its course.

keep an eye out for BLACK stool which indicates trouble further up his GI tract and might require surgery

you might feed him a bit of olive oil (2T to 1/4C in his bowl depending on his size... he will lick it right up) to help 'lube things up"

Bronach Druid
April 14th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I agree with Tanya. If he past the bone and seems fine he probably is. But do keep a close eye on him for a few days and keep watch for that black stool. When in doubt, it is always better to give the vet a call, normally most good vets will answer your questions by phone without insisting on seeing the animal if they don't feel it is nessecary.

Theres
April 14th, 2008, 10:07 PM
pork chop and chicken bones are only really a problem when they are cooked (which i'm assuming this was), because they can splinter into very sharp shards. do keep you eyes open for this sign for the next few days.
as others have said, the blood you are seeing now is probably due to these shards scratching his colon on the way out, and not anything deeply internal, as digested blood is always dark.

i agree with Tanya about the olive oil. in fact it's not a bad idea to add a bit of this to his diet on a regular basis. flax seed or salmon oil is even better.

Meadhbh
April 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I would keep an eye on him. Like other people said I think so long as he's acting fine and eating and playing and the like he should be fine. Poor thing.

enchancea
April 16th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I gave him some olive oil and everything seems to be fine. He's acting normal and everything looks normal. Thanks so much everyone!

Lunacie
April 16th, 2008, 09:13 AM
That's good to hear. :)