PDA

View Full Version : Arthurian myth and legend

Agaliha
April 19th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I'm sure most people have read or know at least a little about Arthurian lore and I was curious what people's favorite story, character, etc were.

Feel free to discuss!
:)

I'll post mine in a bit.

Wolfheart
April 19th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Oooh, Arthurian myth. Now if there's anything you could say I grew up on, it was this stuff. It's always fascinated me. The saga of men and women who are and and aspire to be so perfect, and yet are still inescapably flawed. I relate to them, their desire to try and be something greater, and yet still they fall short. It's all very human. I could go on for hours about the characters and their stories, but I wouldn't want to overdoe it.

Merrilyn
April 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Anything and everything. The legend enchants me.

Buut.. I have a special place in my heart for the Lady of Shalott.

Meadhbh
April 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM
I've always liked the Arthurian legends. As far as the people involved I've always favored Morgan, Morgause, and Mordred. I was thinking doing a you tube video ala Chris Crocker. "Leave Mordred alone! He's a human being."

Windsmith
April 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM
Ooooh! I ate up Aurthurian legend stuff when I was younger. Wrote my first great big academic research paper on archaeological efforts to identify the reality behind the legends.

Strangely, King Arthur was not my favorite character from the legends. I mean, he was OK, but most of the stories I could find about him (when I was young) focused on the Lancelot/Guenivere aspect of the story, and, ohmygoodness angst-riddled yawn-fest! "Woe! I love my husband's best friend!" "Woe! I love my best friend's wife!" "Woe! My wife and my best friend are in love!" Get over your freakin' selves already!

I preferred Mordred and Morgan and Merlin. Sometimes they seemed like the only ones who were getting anything done.

One of my favorite reinterpretations of the story is from Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry trilogy. It is, admittedly, a bit silly, but at least Arthur and Guenivere and Lancelot are making conscious decisions about all the crap they're doing, and not just running around letting their fates fall on them, which seems to be the way the story gets told a lot.

LostSheep
April 21st, 2008, 04:46 PM
I nominate the Questing Beast, and poor old Pellinore, who never did catch it.

yarrow_elfglow
April 23rd, 2008, 06:15 AM
ooooooooooooooo i love everything about Arthurian myth and legend. But i really love reading about Morgian Le Fay

magicalfantasy
December 1st, 2008, 02:20 PM
One of my favorite disney movies was Sword in the Stone (not sure how historically correct it is though). I like reading about what happened before Arthur became king. Another favorite is Quest for Camelot because I love reading about Excalibur. I also have a history with a friend of mine on our roleplay characters and how they are indirectly related to Arthur and Morgan le Fey. So Arthurian legends really is one of my favorites. In general I love reading about Arthur, Morgan le Fey, Excalibur, Camelot, it's what I've always wanted my life to be like lol. I really can honestly say that I haven't read much when it came to the legends, but just from what I've seen Disney wise, despite how historically incorrect it really is, and from my experiences roleplaying with my friend, I am really interested in all aspects of Arthurian legend. All I know about Morgan le Fey I learned from my friend. :P

Brightshores
December 1st, 2008, 10:45 PM
I really must read some "real" Arthurian tales. All I know came from either
1) The Mists of Avalon, which is awesome, but obviously not authentic
2) Reading bits of Geoffrey of Monmouth, Chretien de Troyes, Gildas, and Nennius, years ago
3) Monty Python... :lol:

But, from what I know so far, I find Igraine, Merlin, and Avalon pretty interesting.

Malcolm
December 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
Bors! Cause I like boars...

skilly-nilly
December 1st, 2008, 11:53 PM
I like Nimue, who traps Merlin in an oak tree (or perhaps Hawthorne bush).

TygerTyger
December 2nd, 2008, 04:08 AM
I nominate the Questing Beast, and poor old Pellinore, who never did catch it.

Ah yes, the Questing Beast, who inadvertently introduced Wart to a knight from beyond the castle; King Pellinore himself! I think the point of the Questing Beast was the chase rather than the capture, a bit like the Holy Grail actually. She fell very ill when Pellinore fell in love and stopped chasing her you know!

My favourite character from the Arthurian legend has to be Sir Monty Python - brilliant!

orangeconey
December 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
I like the stories that are more realistic-set in the 500's rather than medieval, etc. The medieval ones were a bit too flouncy for me :toofless:

My daughter's middle name is Morgana...was supposed to be her first, but then someone else used Morgan...in retrospect it would have been fine but I'm happy with her name.

Of course I love the Monty Python version. :thumbsup:

Glowingsun
December 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
The Lady of Shalotte is mysterious.