PDA

View Full Version : Indigo adults

Amanda Mitchell
April 26th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I recently discovered (with the help/guidance of a friend) that I am an Indigo Adult... and I swear... now that I have discovered this, certain things in my life make so much more sense now!!! For a long time, I have felt "different"... now I know why!!!!
:woot:

Here's the list of characteristics that we came up with for "indigos" -

1. strong willed
2. born in 1977 or later
3. head strong
4. creative with an artistic flair for music, jewelry making, poetry, etc.
5. prone to addictions
6. an old soul (as if they are 13 going on to 43)
7. intuitive or psychic (possibly with a history of seeing angels or deceased people)
8. an isolationist (either through aggressive acting out or through fragile introversion)
9. independent and proud (even if they're constantly asking to borrow money)
10. possess a deep desire to help the world in a big way
11. wavers between a low self esteem and grandiosity
12. bores easily
13. has probably been diagnosed with behavioral problems (such as ADD or ADHD)
14. prone to insomnia, restless sleep, nightmares, or difficulty/fear of falling asleep
15. has a history of depression or even having suicidal thoughts or attempts
16. looks for real deep lasting friendships
17. bonds easily with plants or animals

Are you an Indigo adult????

Solya
April 26th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Not really indigo on this end... if there's any label from that kind of thing that suits me, it's probably crystal... :) I've met a lot of people that'd be called indigo by others, though.

(Only, I believe the label is overrated and overused.)

Shaman7
April 26th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I fit in all of those categories as well. Being "indigo" is kinda counter-intuitive to me though. It seems like a new label for an old personality: gifted, culturally frustrated and hopeful. In this respect, I think that we're all indigo to some degree. If the label helps, then blessed be. People with these traits have been making a difference long before the stated birthday cutoff though...

electricpeppers
April 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM
That description fits me to a 't', aside from number 13. I'm skeptical as to whether these perceived indigo people actually exist as described. I always just assumed I was the way I am, because I was called to weirdo things like the occult. :hehehehe: I thought the not 'fitting in' like this was part and parcel.

Earthy
April 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I don't believe I'm an Indigo, but I don't believe I'm from earth either.

halfwaynowhere
April 28th, 2008, 04:42 PM
i'm the textbook indigo, except i don't believe in the whole indigo thing. people are people, our differences make us unique. lumping people together in groups so they can feel like they belong somewhere is just a grand delusion.

Rina
May 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I find the whole issue of these coloured lables to be a slightly laboured point. There are far more issues in the makings of a generational outlook than the spiritual connertations, and I could reach, with a(longish) pole, more that 20 people of my age who would fit that list to a greater extent.
In Britain, being born under the Sign of Thatcher and living our childhoods through at least one recession, in the era of LiveAid and the collapse of the Berlin wall and apartheid can all be seen as contributing to these characteristics.
I fit them, but I don't see myself as special, I see myself as part of, and contradictorarily apart from my generation. Its a generation which is easy to be dissafected from.

LotusFlower
May 11th, 2008, 12:23 PM
:strike:

Aidron
May 11th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I recently discovered (with the help/guidance of a friend) that I am an Indigo Adult... and I swear... now that I have discovered this, certain things in my life make so much more sense now!!! For a long time, I have felt "different"... now I know why!!!!

Right, because no one else feels different. Newsflash, we all feel different and unique and unlike the rest of the world. It's not just you, trust me.

Great, a list.

1. strong willed - So only 'Indigos' are strong-willed, or you're an Indigo because you're strong-willed?
2. born in 1977 or later - Wow, this is as bogus as those people who all believe they're generation X just so they can feel unique and important.
3. head strong - Yeah, no one but an Indigo would be headstrong.
4. creative with an artistic flair for music, jewelry making, poetry, etc. - Jewelry making? What kind of crap is this? Everyone can be artistic and creative, and a lot of those who are came way before 1977, or do you discount the entire history of art and music?
5. prone to addictions - Yeah, cause only junkies are spiritually enlightened people.
6. an old soul (as if they are 13 going on to 43) - That's everyone.
7. intuitive or psychic (possibly with a history of seeing angels or deceased people) - Everyone is intuitive and psychic to varying degrees. Why drag angels and the dead into this ego-stroking?
8. an isolationist (either through aggressive acting out or through fragile introversion) - So, they're anti-social? Imagine that, anti-social little jewelry makers believe they're unique.
9. independent and proud (even if they're constantly asking to borrow money) - What asinine bullshit is this? You aren't independent or proud if you're constantly asking to borrow money. You're a leech and a dead-beat, and also delusional if you think otherwise.
10. possess a deep desire to help the world in a big way - Really? Then how come I only ever see these so-called 'Indigo' people on forums and in bookstores talking about how empowered and great they are instead of actually going out and helping the world?
11. wavers between a low self esteem and grandiosity - So they're emotionally and mentally unstable. Gotcha.
12. bores easily - This isn't a unique feature. Look around. People are always complaining they are bored. You know what? This is probably because those people themselves are boring.
13. has probably been diagnosed with behavioral problems (such as ADD or ADHD) - Everyone has been diagnosed with those. 99% of the time, it's a load of nonsense to keep you dependent on medication and therapy or used as an excuse to be a hyperactive twit or not pay attention.
14. prone to insomnia, restless sleep, nightmares, or difficulty/fear of falling asleep - A lot of people are prone to these things. How do things like this specifically relate to being an 'Indigo' person? What evidence do you have to support this?
15. has a history of depression or even having suicidal thoughts or attempts - I'm seeing a pattern here; by you and your friend's logic, all of you Indigo folks suffer from a wide variety of mental and emotional disabilities. Hooray for you.
16. looks for real deep lasting friendships - I bet they do considering most everyone else does.
17. bonds easily with plants or animals - Gotcha, these Indigo folks are the new hippies. Well la dee da.

If I sound annoyed, I am. You people are insane. This 'Indigo' nonsense is all about fitting in because you feel like an abnormality or not fitting in so you can feel unique and important. Just look at this list of reasons which makes one an Indigo adult, it's riddled with emotional and mental disorders. Furthermore, if you and your friend are basing this on what you two experience, I'd seek professional help. You two obviously have a lot of issues that you need to work through.

Sequoia
May 11th, 2008, 03:26 PM
At best, the whole "indigo phenomenon" is a silly new-age fun club to belong to, and at worst, is a way to excuse terrible behavior in children and/or ignore actual medical conditions.

teishabee
May 11th, 2008, 03:38 PM
All I can say its a long list of generalisations.

Also most of them conflict (IMHO) with independent and proud.

Addictions and those that constantly suffer from them are a dependent personality triat.

Depression always makes me feel so proud.....

Just a couple of thoughts.

But then if you really resonate with this then go with the flow. Just dont use this label to define yourself . Your worth more then that.

LotusFlower
May 12th, 2008, 08:10 AM
:strike:

Glowingsun
October 20th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I fit all those. This has put me in perspective of how I can be so content with little or no friends. I definitly consider myself independent but I have borrowed alot of money. whoops. and so much more.

EvMechan10
October 20th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I don't know if I count as an adult yet (I'm 16 turning 17 in April).I am an second generation indigo (My mother was an indigo) Indigo people in general have VERY old souls and tend to have a bit more..... power available to them (I hate that word...power)

Most of the problems we have can be reduced or eliminated completely through several techniques, meditation, protection and some times just knowledge of whats happening. I've found meditation works best for me, but it may be different for you.

There are ways of ridding your self of the nightmare though! A nice hand made dream catcher works nicely or if you put together a rune protection sign and hang it on the back of your bedroom door that works too :hahugh:

Arianrhod
October 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
I don't believe I'm an Indigo, but I don't believe I'm from earth either.

Are you an otherkin too? There are lots of overlap between otherkin and indigo/crystal. I don't know why but there is. I mean. I was awakened as an otherkin before I even considered myself to possibly be an indigo, because, frankly I thought I was too old, but looking at that list, its definitely possible. Some of those traits overlap with kin traits but not all of them, the list for 'you might be an otherkin if..' is a bit longer. In any case ... yeah. I think the jury is still out if I'm indigo or not. I want to say yea, but it may be nay, because of the otherkin overlap -shrug-

That's my contribution :)

thought_on_a_wind
November 14th, 2008, 11:30 PM
regardless of fluff and rank... I am who I am... and at one time figure I could have qualified myself as indigo, but I feel it's more an elitist group... I hate elitism, that's why I find it comfy to practice by myself.

I, however, do not like stepping on other people's beliefs, and shall still respect yours, as is I mean no harm with what I've said, and wish you the best for your chosen or born path...

I do have to admit a similar trait pops up in astrology... I don't remember what part of it is, but some celestial body in a certain position during the eighties seems to indicate that those born in those times are by nature sages, artisans, problem solvers and smart people.... of course, I've been to enough parties with my peers in that age group to understand that is somewhat false once the booze starts guzzling (of course I could be talking about solely 1983... it's been a while and I can't find my astrology book).

CrimsonCat
November 15th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Right, because no one else feels different. Newsflash, we all feel different and unique and unlike the rest of the world. It's not just you, trust me.

Great, a list.

1. strong willed - So only 'Indigos' are strong-willed, or you're an Indigo because you're strong-willed?
2. born in 1977 or later - Wow, this is as bogus as those people who all believe they're generation X just so they can feel unique and important.
3. head strong - Yeah, no one but an Indigo would be headstrong.
4. creative with an artistic flair for music, jewelry making, poetry, etc. - Jewelry making? What kind of crap is this? Everyone can be artistic and creative, and a lot of those who are came way before 1977, or do you discount the entire history of art and music?
5. prone to addictions - Yeah, cause only junkies are spiritually enlightened people.
6. an old soul (as if they are 13 going on to 43) - That's everyone.
7. intuitive or psychic (possibly with a history of seeing angels or deceased people) - Everyone is intuitive and psychic to varying degrees. Why drag angels and the dead into this ego-stroking?
8. an isolationist (either through aggressive acting out or through fragile introversion) - So, they're anti-social? Imagine that, anti-social little jewelry makers believe they're unique.
9. independent and proud (even if they're constantly asking to borrow money) - What asinine bullshit is this? You aren't independent or proud if you're constantly asking to borrow money. You're a leech and a dead-beat, and also delusional if you think otherwise.
10. possess a deep desire to help the world in a big way - Really? Then how come I only ever see these so-called 'Indigo' people on forums and in bookstores talking about how empowered and great they are instead of actually going out and helping the world?
11. wavers between a low self esteem and grandiosity - So they're emotionally and mentally unstable. Gotcha.
12. bores easily - This isn't a unique feature. Look around. People are always complaining they are bored. You know what? This is probably because those people themselves are boring.
13. has probably been diagnosed with behavioral problems (such as ADD or ADHD) - Everyone has been diagnosed with those. 99% of the time, it's a load of nonsense to keep you dependent on medication and therapy or used as an excuse to be a hyperactive twit or not pay attention.
14. prone to insomnia, restless sleep, nightmares, or difficulty/fear of falling asleep - A lot of people are prone to these things. How do things like this specifically relate to being an 'Indigo' person? What evidence do you have to support this?
15. has a history of depression or even having suicidal thoughts or attempts - I'm seeing a pattern here; by you and your friend's logic, all of you Indigo folks suffer from a wide variety of mental and emotional disabilities. Hooray for you.
16. looks for real deep lasting friendships - I bet they do considering most everyone else does.
17. bonds easily with plants or animals - Gotcha, these Indigo folks are the new hippies. Well la dee da.

If I sound annoyed, I am. You people are insane. This 'Indigo' nonsense is all about fitting in because you feel like an abnormality or not fitting in so you can feel unique and important. Just look at this list of reasons which makes one an Indigo adult, it's riddled with emotional and mental disorders. Furthermore, if you and your friend are basing this on what you two experience, I'd seek professional help. You two obviously have a lot of issues that you need to work through.

Ah. Joy. A smart ass.

"Aidron," in a sense, you are right. People want to belong to a group and/or feel special, and sometimes this leads to those people labeling themselves. My question to you is, if the label isn't harmful to others or themselves, why take it away from them? Why take away the (possibly) only joy, and the self-esteem boost they get from it? What right do you have to lecture people on their personal decisions? If this person feels comforted in knowing that they belong to a "group," why must you ruin it for them by telling them that they, and all other Indigoes, are "insane"?

People believe in these things for the same reasons that they believe in a god/goddess. It gives them moral support. When a person feels down-and-out, and they can't get on their feet, they turn to something. Sometimes it's a god, sometimes it's drugs, drink, or etc. But sometimes you get a person who will look to themselves. They will use that label to their advantage. They will say, "I am an Aries, and I damned well know that I'm not going to give up on this just yet." (Being an Aries, I've done this a few times myself - even if I don't believe in most of the zodiac signs' characteristic traits.)

I consider myself to be one of the strong ones, and I'm sure everyone does the same. But it's nice to know that when I'm feeling depressed, I always have people to turn to. Belonging to a group- even something like being an "Indigo"- can connect people, allowing them to share their joys and sorrows. None of us can do it alone. Even I, the so-called "independent" Aries, knows that.
There is no harm in joining others, Aidron. I'm sure you know this by now.

I would appreciate it if you would apologize to this person. Hopefully you meant nothing by it, and were distracted by other events at the time. If this is not so, I would appreciate it if you would apologize anyway. Thank you.

CrimsonCat
November 15th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Jeez. I didn't realize this was such a dead thread! :P

... Oh well!

*continues to preach on a soapbox*

Shaman7
November 15th, 2008, 02:23 AM
It's okay CrimsonCat, I posted here months ago, and only realized it when I reread the thread. I agree that Aidron was a bit overbearing on that post, and I almost commented on it myself. I back you up all the way: if something helps one to cope, why try to take that away? All humans have mental disturbances, whoever thinks that they don't are more disillusioned than the rest. Any one of us could probably fit into the indigo category if we stretched our own life experience just a little.

Anyway, I think that the "indigo phenomenon" is a good thing, because it takes people away from drugging their children for being different. Anything that accomplishes that, is a step in the right direction. It only hurts the people that use "indigo" as a crutch for behavior problems in their kids. At any rate, that is still better than drugging them, right?

Carri
November 15th, 2008, 04:56 AM

This is the only thing I wanted to comment on of the whole post, I have to say that when I was younger I really did think I was different than everyone else. Now that I'm middle aged I see things differently. I think it is because I am less self centered now but I see that many people have similarities in personalities, aspirations, hope/fears, and much else. And gosh, I guess that's why psychology works. Personality traits is a commonly accepted idea.

The biggest thing I have learned is that most people internalize situations, and this is the largest miscommunication IMO. If anyone doesn't understand this is an example. 2 people have just finished disagreeing and are atempting to get past it with strained pleasantries, a third party joins the group and senses this uncomfortable situation. Many times the 3rd person will assume that they have caused the uncomfortable situation, they were being talked about, the other 2 are upset with them and countless other scenerios.

The next time the 3rd part encounters party #1 or party #2 they are uncomfortable and this is sensed by #1 or #2. Now this uncomfortable feeling can be mistaken as #3 has been talking with #1 or #2 about the original disagreement and probably has sided with them.

This can go on and on and I think we all have been in this situation. As I've gotten older I have learned that this is a major cause of insecurities in people and when the misunderstading is resloved people relax. For the most part we are all have similarities that can be seen in situations like this. Our personality traits just help us and others to think of a logical way we may behave in a given situation.

But this is just my opinion, please feel free to disagree. Its just that when I see lists of why and how a group is different that just shows me they aren't so different or they couldn't have list of similarities to fit into a group of different people.

thought_on_a_wind
November 19th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Anyway, I think that the "indigo phenomenon" is a good thing, because it takes people away from drugging their children for being different. Anything that accomplishes that, is a step in the right direction.

damn good point... couldn't have put it better myself...

Elistariel
November 19th, 2008, 08:10 AM

1. strong willed
Depends on how so and with who. I'm more forward with some people than I am others.
2. born in 1977 or later
3. head strong
Doesn't that kind of go with "strong willed?"
4. creative with an artistic flair for music, jewelry making, poetry, etc.
I like to enjoy them, I suck at making them.
5. prone to addictions
You know, I think that's more of a physical thing than a spiritual one. Also I don't have addictions.
6. an old soul (as if they are 13 going on to 43)
I think I act my age, if not a bit younger. I'm 25 btw.
7. intuitive or psychic (possibly with a history of seeing angels or deceased people)
I've seen ghosts, then again so have a lot of people.
8. an isolationist (either through aggressive acting out or through fragile introversion)
I'm fairly certain my introvert-ness is a result of my childhood. I'm just not a people person.
9. independent and proud (even if they're constantly asking to borrow money)
Yes and uh... yes. I'll stop needing other people's money (family) when I get a blessed job, but I fail to see the spirituality aspect of this.
10. possess a deep desire to help the world in a big way
Um... no. Not really. I like helping, but I don't feel a big need to help.
11. wavers between a low self esteem and grandiosity
Actually I float along quite nicely on the contented "meh" spectrum.
12. bores easily
Yep. I have ADD though, and I think my mom does too, she has a lot of the symptoms from what she tells me.
13. has probably been diagnosed with behavioral problems (such as ADD or ADHD)
ADD
14. prone to insomnia, restless sleep, nightmares, or difficulty/fear of falling asleep
I'ts 7:06 am, I got up around noon or one. I have an interview sometime this afternoon. I'd like to "get up" around noon or earlier for it. I simply have NO sense of time. At. All.
15. has a history of depression or even having suicidal thoughts or attempts
I've thought about what it would be like to be dead, yes. Then again I've also wondered what it would be like to be a horse. So, I don't think that counts in this situation.
16. looks for real deep lasting friendships
I haven't had to look. I prefer quality to quantity.
17. bonds easily with plants or animals
Plants? No. I don't bond with things that just sit there. Animals? I suppose. Pets don't count, they'll bond with their owners if they treat them properly anyhow.

I'm commenting before I read the other replies so that I know the response is *mine* I'm putting my comments in bold.