PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul is down but not out

Laisrean
April 29th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Link (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9886.html)

Despite posting a video on his website last month conceding that he couldn’t win and indicating that he was winding down his campaign, Paul continues to be a presence in the GOP contest. He aired a radio ad before the Pennsylvania primary, is still traveling the country to appear at campaign events and, as of the end of March, had more than $5 million in the bank.

He got 16 percent of the vote Tuesday, which, combined with Mike Huckabee’s vote share, meant that more than a quarter of the voters in the Keystone State’s closed Republican primary voted for somebody other than their party’s all-but-certain nominee.

The libertarian-leaning obstetrician-turned-congressman's long-shot candidacy continues to take on a life of its own — and he admits he’s in no rush to tamp down the enthusiasm.

“There is no way I could turn it off — I went up to Penn State and had 1,500 people,” Paul observed, still seemingly amazed at his following. “So it’s just sort of going to go on.”

Hang in there, Ron. :thumbsup:

daphnerose
April 29th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Yay for realistic people!

Pagan Warrior
April 29th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I would love to see Ron Paul make office, but we all know that's not plausable at this point in the game. Now, theoretically enough people could write in his name as an alternative, but if that many people felt strongly about him he would be the nominee. Unfortuantely, the people just aren't ready for a Libertarian-based republican doctor to take the presidential office.

AmericanMe
April 29th, 2008, 04:16 PM
5 million isn't crap in this race. He's hurting the cause of libertatian Republicans at this point, making us look like we're out of touch with reality. He needs to man up, concede and take the ideological lead like Reagan did after losing the nomination to Nixon - though it might br too late for that now.

pawnman
April 29th, 2008, 05:06 PM
So Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee managed to combine for 25% of the vote, and they're calling that a win?

What did he get, three delegates?

Pagan Warrior
April 30th, 2008, 12:20 AM
5 million isn't crap in this race. He's hurting the cause of libertatian Republicans at this point, making us look like we're out of touch with reality. He needs to man up, concede and take the ideological lead like Reagan did after losing the nomination to Nixon - though it might br too late for that now.

Perseverance is one of the tenets of taekwondo, and I see nothing wrong with him finishing this race ... at least he's keeping his word. He stated he would continue to the end, and he will continue so long as his supporters continue to contribute to his campaign.

Laisrean
April 30th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Perseverance is one of the tenets of taekwondo, and I see nothing wrong with him finishing this race ... at least he's keeping his word. He stated he would continue to the end, and he will continue so long as his supporters continue to contribute to his campaign.

Yeah, it shows he has principles and strong convictions and is keeping his word by staying in until the end. I suppose AmericanMe fears he is siphoning support from McCain, but I don't really see that being the case. McCain has the nomination for all intents and purposes, and $5 isn't enough to spoil things for him anyway, as he said.

Just let him do his thing and get his message out there, because it is doing good for the G.O.P. by showing them how they can attract new voters.