PDA

View Full Version : Astronomy

Fireheart
April 29th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Do you guys enjoy astronomy? I'm watching something on the history channel about galaxies, and I always feel so...small, yet an important part of the whole. The universe is so complex and I'm just in awe lol.

RavenStars
April 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Astronomy is very important to me, not because I have a telescope (which I don't) or go to star parties, but because I find endless awe and wonder in the incredible universe. I know I'm not the only one here that looks at http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ everyday. I've learned so much with just a little description and the endless variety of photos. If you click on the image you'll get a larger version that works for desktop patterns. I also follow the Mars rovers but not real faithfully. Anyway, the feelings I get looking at distant galaxies and stars I equate with my understanding of the Divine. I can't help being inspired. The smallest subatomic particle up through the furthest reaches of the universe, that in it's mind boggling completeness is, in my opinion, holy.

Poledra
April 30th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Astronomy is very important to me, not because I have a telescope (which I don't) or go to star parties, but because I find endless awe and wonder in the incredible universe. I know I'm not the only one here that looks at http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ everyday. I've learned so much with just a little description and the endless variety of photos. If you click on the image you'll get a larger version that works for desktop patterns. I also follow the Mars rovers but not real faithfully. Anyway, the feelings I get looking at distant galaxies and stars I equate with my understanding of the Divine. I can't help being inspired. The smallest subatomic particle up through the furthest reaches of the universe, that in it's mind boggling completeness is, in my opinion, holy.

Oh my! Thanks for that link, that's amazing!

Poledra

TygerTyger
April 30th, 2008, 07:53 AM
The science of astronomy often leaves me perplexed but the visions it unveils leaves me with the same sense of awe.

As a Pantheist the glory of the universe vindicates my belief.

http://www.starrynightphotos.com/milky_way/images/milky_way_mosaic.jpg

Windsmith
April 30th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Oh! Oh! This thread couldn't be more perfectly timed. A guy I know from college is selling me his telescope for $10!

Who can tell me where to point my new eye?

Eleisawolf
April 30th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Oh! Oh! This thread couldn't be more perfectly timed. A guy I know from college is selling me his telescope for $10!

Who can tell me where to point my new eye?

Everywhere! Heh...

It's too late for Orion--but when winter comes back, there's so much to see around the constellation of Orion (including the Orion nebula, the Andromeda galaxy, and tons of amazing amazing stars and other nebulae) that it's my favorite direction to point.

Otherwise, I'd have to remind myself of the summer constellations and other items of interest that are best to observe.

Astronomy is one of those topics I wish I knew better. I love it for what I do know, though. It's breathtaking.

Peace

RavenStars
May 1st, 2008, 12:12 AM
The biggest rush I had with my astronomy class was seeing planets. If you know where to look you can see the fuzz of galaxies and binary stars. I'm assuming that this isn't a big zoot telescope. I've been told that star parties are really fun since people will let you see through their more powerful scopes. It does make a difference to find out where these people go, since the darkest place you can get brings the most stars!

ILOVEAUTUMNS
May 3rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
I love astronomy too!!!

I will visit that link hopefully daily! :)

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0805/DamavandMilkyWayPanS_tafreshi_orig.jpg

In this one I see a rainbow and then at the right hand side of the rainbow what is that clustered chunk
in the sky??????? Can anyone see it? I've never seen anything like it and am wanting to know what it is!!!!

RavenStars
May 3rd, 2008, 11:48 PM
I believe that it's toward the center of our galaxy. But I might be wrong.