PDA

View Full Version : I am starting to notice benefits

kotu
May 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
From the sixteen years of meditation I have just done.

Just a couple of 'peaceful' moments.

I wasn't barking up the wrong tree! lol

teishabee
May 4th, 2008, 07:05 PM
For me its wonderful to experience silence.

Astara Seague
June 2nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
I love the times when I can just sit back and relax and enjoy the peace, i ran across this article awhile back about some scientific studies they have done and thought Id share

Washington, DC, November 13, 2005 — The ohms and ahs of meditation do more than provide feelings of serenity and peace; they also transform the structure and function of the brain, according to a series of new studies.

Although Buddhist monks and many westerners have been meditating for years, only recently have scientists begun to study how the practice affects the brain. Now new research presented at this meeting provides evidence that meditation may be able to create important brain changes, perhaps including an actual boost in brain size as well as alterations in brain activity that aid mental performance and increase attention.

In one of the studies, researchers used the imaging technique, MRI, to examine the physical structure of the brains of meditation practitioners in the U.S. “Our findings provide the first evidence that alterations in brain structure are associated with western-style meditation practice, possibly reflecting increased use of specific brain regions,” says Sara Lazar, PhD, of Harvard Medical School.

“We found that brain regions associated with attention and sensory processing were thicker in meditators than in the non-meditators,” says Lazar. “Also, in one of the regions, the differences in thickness were most pronounced in older subjects, suggesting that regular practice of meditation might reduce normal age-related thinning of the brain.” This region is an area of the brain’s outer layer or cortex, which is thought to be
involved in integrating emotional and cognitive processes.

Against The Tide
August 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM
I find that meditation helps me live a fuller life. My needs and the means in which to achieve them are clearer. My problem solving is better - and the very little things that used to bury me can't touch me anymore. My mind is sharper and I feel less burdened.

RainInanna
August 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Personally meditation gives me a calmer, more centered grounding to start every day from. The usual annoyances don't get me as frustrated, because I begin at a much more relaxed state. I can respond slower and more effectively & compassionately when I meditate regularly.

Also, during relaxation exercises and meditation I contemplate what I'm grateful for, what is joyful and good in my life, and I do affirmations. So putting that time aside ensures I find more joy every day and am generally happier.

The peace is the immediate benefit for me, and overall greater happiness and calmness are secondary.