PDA

View Full Version : I have no idea what forum to put this in.

Hamelyn
August 18th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Friend ran curious idea by me the other evening. Crop circles, or rather the unexplained ones, being <insert cultural term for the mound-dwelling folk> sites. Post-fairy-raid-type-stuff-thingies.

So.. yeah. I'm tossing it into this forum because:

1) No idea where else to put it, and
2) Because like, I'm sleep deprived and I wanna see what, if any, responses I get to this theory.

Wootage for da crop circles, yo!

Melysande
August 18th, 2002, 09:39 AM
**grins** Interesting theory, but I won't buy into it unless I see CNN reporting the headlines "Fairies Not Fairytale Anymore: Biologists Capture Living Specimens" and "FBI Uncovers Secret Fairy Society Responsible for Crop Circles, Fairy Rings."

Ben Gruagach
August 18th, 2002, 11:30 AM
I'm in Arizona (at the outskirts of Phoenix.) We get "dust devils" every once in a while. They are really neat to see - very focussed and localized mini-tornadoes that suck up dust from the ground and last maybe a minute or so.

We see them here because there is dust around (being a desert and all) for the mini-tornado to suck up. I would be highly surprised if this sort of thing DIDN'T happen elsewhere. And in a place where there isn't a lot of dust to suck up (like because there are lots of plants holding the soil together) people won't see it.

But the mini-tornadoes are clearly pretty strong in their own way, as anyone who watches dust-devils here could attest. If they happened where there was a crop like wheat or corn, I would expect a nice circular pattern to be produced where the wind hit the ground.

My guess is that those unexplained (and rather boring plain round) crop circles are the result of mini tornadoes like we see all the time here in Arizona.

Myst
August 19th, 2002, 07:21 AM
That's a theory I've never heard before, Ben. Interesting! Maybe you have something there.

Illuminatus
August 19th, 2002, 11:39 AM
I dunno, I thought faeries were into different sort of things, like eating cookies, cleaning barns, tipping cows... crop circles are really large-scale.

We have dust devils out east, but they are made of leaves.

Ben Gruagach
August 19th, 2002, 01:34 PM
I always considered "fairy rings" to be something quite different from crop circles. "Fairy rings," to me, are circles of a specific type of plant (usually mushrooms) that grow naturally in circles.

I grew up in eastern Ontario, Canada, in a rural area. We used to see "fairy rings" of mushrooms all the time.

There are pictures of these types of "fairy rings" in Brian Froud's and Alan Lee's classic book, "Faeries."

VelvetBlade
July 17th, 2003, 08:33 AM
http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2003/sharpenhoe/sharpenhoe2003a.html

Eos of the Eons
July 23rd, 2003, 03:58 PM
In the close up on the ground are the telltale signs of someone tramping down the field with a board attached to the feet. I've seen a documentary on how crop circles are made. It's easy to do something geometric and circular. Depending on which way the wheat is tramped, you can get light or dark patches.

I would be interested in a crop circle with lots of wavy lines and no geometric shapes at all.

http://www.unmuseum.org/cropinst.gif

http://www.unmuseum.org/cropcir.htm
"The tools are simple: A stake, a chain or rope, some boards, and a few people. The stake is pounded into the ground at the center of the soon-to-be circle and the rope attached to it. The rope is then stretched out and someone standing at the end marches around the stake to make a perimeter. The boards can then be used to easily flatten the plants within the circle. Rings can be made through the same technique simply by leaving some sections undamaged."

"Since nobody can tell the difference between a hoaxed and "genuine" circle, is there any reason not to believe that all of them are hoaxed? Probably not. Several factors argue in favor of the complete hoax theory. First, there is a lack of historical precedent for crop circles. Crop circles as they are seen today are a recent phenomenon only twenty or thirty years old. Secondly, the number and complexity of the circles have grown in proportion to the media coverage of them (suggesting that people are more apt to make circles if the circles get in the news). Finally, there are almost no credible reports of someone actually seeing a circle being made by either a UFO or weather phenomena (suggesting that the hoaxers are purposefully keeping out of sight).

Perhaps the mystery here is not what makes the circles, but what would cause so many other-wise normal people in southern Britain to make strange circles in the middle of the night in a farm field? " :lol:

More here, very funny:

http://timesheraldonline.com/articles/2003/07/11/news/news03.txt

Rain Gnosis
July 23rd, 2003, 04:11 PM
My concern with that is, if you've ever been in a field, you know you aren't going to move around over that much area without leaving a footprint somewhere. Even if the area is dry invariably a shoe imprint is going to scuff the soil.

No?

Eos of the Eons
July 23rd, 2003, 04:15 PM
I've seen them put stuff over their shoes like bags. Then the next day there are tons of footprints from onlookers and such anyway.

Rain Gnosis
July 23rd, 2003, 04:26 PM
We passed by a field last week with a big roundish area cleared out. I almost said "crop circle!" but no, the crop was so low and the circle was situated that one easily saw it was simply where rain had accumulated in a puddle. The puddle must've stayed there for so long (since it's been raining a lot) nothing grew in that circle.

Hah! :)