PDA

View Full Version : Aaarrrrrrggghhhh !! That dog !!!

Deb13b
May 12th, 2008, 10:02 AM
That bl**dy dog of mine !!!!

I was upstairs for 2 minutes, came down to find he has eaten half my bank card & chewed up one of my nintendo ds games.

Destructo-Dog strikes again. :(

In the past 5 weeks he has -

chewed through the telephone cables ( 190 to fix )
chewed 2 brand new mobile fones within 3 days of each other ( 50 insurance excess to pay)
chewed a hole through my hall carpet (need to replace the whole thing now)
chewed the wallpaper off the wall & chewed a hole in the plasterboard ( now need to redecorate)

I have never known a dog sooooo destructive !

And what sort of huge hell-hound is responsible for this ??

Rocky, the Boston Terrier.

TheWomanMonster
May 12th, 2008, 10:10 AM
he's adorable!

why do you think he's acting out?

Belladona
May 12th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Hello! I am thinking your BT has sepperation anxiety. If you google it it may give you some answers. You may also want to try visiting The Woof Board. It is a forum all about Bostons. Blessings and Good Luck.
Bella

Deb13b
May 12th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Belladonna, I'm with him when he does these things! I smack his butt with a rolled up paper & shout "no" but he does it again & again.

He's 13 months old now, I was hoping he would grow out of it. I'm a member on the woofboard, they're great on there. Just seems like they all have normal dogs lol, not like mine !

Belladona
May 12th, 2008, 11:42 AM
LOL! But he is such a cute little beast! I LOVE him!
:floating:

Belladona
May 12th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Here are my little beasts!

TuathaSidhe
May 12th, 2008, 12:37 PM
smacking on the butt isnt going to do any good, its going to cause him to just take the stuff and hide with it if he can. I would suggest stopping that first off.

How old is the dog? Sounds to me like either hes a puppy teething or really board, not S.A. What kind of stuff do you have for him TO chew on? Have you taught him that he is to chew on his stuff and not yours?

I would suggest getting a leash and teethering him to you so you can keep an eye on him. When he goes to chew on something, tell him *LEAVE IT*. I dont really like using *NO* cause its use soooooooo much by people that its probably lost its meaning now.

Anyways, give a slight tug on the leash to the side to get his attention and say "leave it" and redirect with something he CAN chew on and praise him for it.

You have to be on top of it constantly and it can be a job, but its better than him hurting himself and causing lots of money in damage.

You can also get a crate and crate train him. Done properly its a very effective and saft tool to keep your dog and your stuff safe from harm.

Good luck

SphinYote
May 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Well said...they need tons of stuff they're allowed to chew on. Nothing's going to change that.

Haven't had to traind dogs, but have had to deal with my cat--tried swatting when he got into stuff he wasn't supposed to, but when I did that he just smiled (believe me, you can tell when an animal smiles) and did the same thing some more. The alpha-game didn't work.

What worked was observing, noting when he stared to get restless, then playing a bit to tire him out, but before the trouble behavior started. I learned not to respond to the trouble-behavior, but rather instead to leave the room and close the door behind me. He was doing it for attention (constantly), and the act of leaving the room and closing the door was the worst possible thing in his little mind. Human toy go bye-bye, no fair!

I would come back after he settled down, and then later we would play, when he wasn't doing something wrong.

I don't know what to do about the dog, as his play is more destructive. But again, he might be considering your actions either to be play or that negative attention is better than no attention. And when you're in the room, that's going to be when he wants your attention. Your presence isn't enough, that's not attention. Play, interaction of any kind, is attention.

Just some thoughts.

Redirection is good. But make sure you observe and redirect before the trouble behavior starts. Otherwise he will realize that doing action A (bad acion) will get you to do action B (redirection, but fun play), so he will do action A just to get you to do action B.

Yote

bellamandu
May 12th, 2008, 12:54 PM
positive reinforcement.

or, pepper spray works too. :lol:

Deb13b
May 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Belladonna, they're gorgeous little beasts !

Belladona
May 12th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks! I am really quite proud! The little one has had some behaviour issues too, so I know what you are going though. Just hang in there, Rocky will come around.

Blessed Be
(.....and blessed beasts!....LOL!)

WitchJezebel
May 12th, 2008, 02:26 PM
smacking on the butt isnt going to do any good, its going to cause him to just take the stuff and hide with it if he can. I would suggest stopping that first off.

How old is the dog? Sounds to me like either hes a puppy teething or really board, not S.A. What kind of stuff do you have for him TO chew on? Have you taught him that he is to chew on his stuff and not yours?

I would suggest getting a leash and teethering him to you so you can keep an eye on him. When he goes to chew on something, tell him *LEAVE IT*. I dont really like using *NO* cause its use soooooooo much by people that its probably lost its meaning now.

Anyways, give a slight tug on the leash to the side to get his attention and say "leave it" and redirect with something he CAN chew on and praise him for it.

You have to be on top of it constantly and it can be a job, but its better than him hurting himself and causing lots of money in damage.

You can also get a crate and crate train him. Done properly its a very effective and saft tool to keep your dog and your stuff safe from harm.

Good luck

Rock on LC, I totally agree.

Deborah - It sounds like your little cutie needs training - but it's going to take some serious work from you. I agree with LC on the "NO" command, it's way overused so I've kept it for some things but I use 'drop it' instead of 'leave it'. He's already a year old - might want to get started before his behavior gets even worse; you don't want him to swallow something that could hurt him.

Deb13b
May 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I'm starting a training class with him this week, I'm betting the trainer has never even seen a BT never mind worked with one ! It should be fun lol !

WynterWynd
May 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
First......OMG, he's freakin adorable!!!!! *gush* :boing:

Of the fews dogs we had, our Malamute was the WORST little b*st*rd for chewing on stuff:flamer:
When we were with him all the time, he was fine...he had a HUGE box of chew bones, chew toys etc. that he could do what ever he wanted to with them. His problem was when no one was looking.....or home:2G: he would do his evilness.....like tearing up a 7 foot tall potted palm ( I found to palm frawns and not much of the pot) ....but he had ever inch of a huge living room covered in dirt (I guess he didn't want to eat the dirt)

He had already been crate trained and that worked out fantastic. When we went out, to sleep....and long period of time when he wouldn't be watched, he was crated.

The plant incident was my fault......he'd been so good for so long, I thought I could let him 'free' while I ran to the store:rolleyes: Taught me.....having to shampoo the carpet 4 times to get the dirt out:lol:

Good luck finding a method that works for both of you.

WitchJezebel
May 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM
When MiLo was a pup he started off shredding paper; newspaper, tissue boxes, the toilet paper roll. It progressed to cd's, the occasional shoe, the handles off the doors of the entertainment center and then he moved to the sofa. Yup... chewed the arm off the sofa... I called it the FrankenSofa until I could afford to replace it. After I trained him all of that stopped, however, if he's stressed (like from a thunderstorm or fireworks), he will still shred paper items if he can get hold of them. I don't let him get 'bored' and he gets alot of exercise and mental stimulation so he's been fine for years. I just had to learn how to handle him - it was essentially training for the both of us.

Moonlite Faery
May 14th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I saw this thread and HAD to post, my little hellion isis when she was a puppy was a major chewer. and what do you think she chose to chew....wires, cables, and anything other that was electronic in nature -_- she chewed threw all of our game controller wires, thank god everything is wireless now, we went wireless when you had to go buy 3rd party crap ><, she chewed threw my roommates jumper cables for her truck- completely chewed threw them...not to mention all the normal things pups chew like shoes, arms of your nice wooden chairs, table legs, etc. at one point i went to the pet store to see if they had anything that might help me teach her not to do crap like that and the sales guy said why dont you just jerry-rig it so that if she tries to chew a wire she'll get a shock, and he proceeded to tell me how i could rig a battery into the wire to buzz her >< couldnt do that so we went to puppy classes with her "sister" athena, and things started to get better, but hang in there, positive reinforcement and lots of puppy class love :)

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/moonlitefaery/?action=view&current=isis2.jpg