View Full Version : What's up with this?

May 13th, 2008, 12:29 PM

Some Tennessee homeschool graduates are losing their jobs because they have homeschool diplomas.

Pagan Warrior
May 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I'm not a lawyer but there is a concept called ex post facto which basically makes conduct illegal that was legal when it was originally performed. On a criminal level this is unconstitutional (Art. 1, § 10). How it relates to this article I'm not sure.

May 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I was just reading up on this, but my information is Canadian. Still, it might apply:

When I speak on the topic of university admissions, I’m often asked how homeschoolers “get a high school diploma.” The reality is, many homeschoolers do not get a high school diploma. And in fact, by definition (according to the universities), if you have a high school diploma, you are not a homeschooler!

If you go through the homeschool admission policies of the Ontario universities, you’ll notice that while you may be asked to provide a transcript, or portfolio, you will not be asked to submit a “diploma.” That’s because universities do not recognize diplomas unless they come from a government-accredited source.

And most importantly, a homeschooled applicant is one who by definition does not possess a government diploma. So, the university is not expecting you to present any diploma whatsoever. This is why you’re considered a homeschooler, and this is why you’re presenting a portfolio, or standardized test results or some other requirement that is not required of traditionally-schooled applicants.

I found this that DOES apply to how the USA issues high school diplomas, though it may already be common knowledge for American homeschoolers:

FACT: In the US, there is an extra layer involved in government accreditation. There are about half a dozen “accrediting organizations” that have government approval to accredit individual schools and school boards. So, when using a curriculum from the United States, it’s important to first find out which organization issues the school’s accreditation, and then determine whether this organization is one of the government ones. There are accrediting bodies in the United States who have not received government approval to accredit schools for the government diploma, meaning that the individual school or program can claim “certification” for its diploma, but just not government certification, which is what Ontario universities will demand. Be careful, there are some well-known names out there whose diplomas are not recognized by universities. This doesn’t mean that the universities won’t consider the academic achievement involved in obtaining them, but these diplomas are not stand ins for a government diploma.

Pagan Warrior
May 13th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I wonder if these individuals whose jobs are in danger can go out and test for a GED to keep their positions.

May 13th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I wonder if these individuals whose jobs are in danger can go out and test for a GED to keep their positions.

I am sure that they could, after all the GED is as good as a high school diploma, but my understanding of the police officer is that he had secondary education, to become a peace officer, so if it was good enough for the academy, why is it no longer so? Also, when someone says they have a GED the first thought is that they are a dropout, not that they are possibly homeschooled.

May 14th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I dont know what a "home school certificate" is.
The article didnt really explain it.
Is this something thats just given without testing from a licensed school?

I know in Wi, you can get a GED(General Educational Diploma) or a HSED(High school equivalence diploma). Both are tested for through a local university.

I think Wi's choices for home schooled kids are fine.
My eldest son got his GED through our local University.

I wouldn't want a 'home school certificate' for my home schooled kids.