PDA

View Full Version : Planting and moving seedlings

ruthie
May 6th, 2001, 06:11 AM
I have started off many of my plants from seeds in a propogator. I have found from this a number of problems:

1. How do you ensure that (especially with tiny seeds) that you do not plant too many in one small tub?

2. Should you always cut them back to one plant per propogator seed tub?

3. When moving them into a pot, how gentle do we need to be?

I have moved all of them over now, and am spending many an hour looking over them, giving gentle encouragement and hopeful, kind thoughts. However, none of them look that happy except my evening primrose. My chives look horizontal, will they ever perk up? My dill is looking very poorly. Should I give up and move over to buying young plants? I have always wanted to grow from seed. However the only things that are looking totally well are the children's seedlings I bought for planting with my three year old, Elea. If anyone has any thoughts, ideas or hopefully solutions to these problems, I will be forever grateful. Thanks in advance.

Lavender
May 11th, 2001, 03:27 AM
Hi Ruthie,

Have your plants come back yet? When you said you were using a propergator, are you using plastic pots?

When I start my seeds indoors, I usually plant more than what I really need. I use either peat pots or little pots I make out of newspaper. I have a tall drinking glass about 2-1/2 inches dia. I cut strips of newspaper about 8"x5". I roll these strips around the glass & scrunch up the bottoms so they look like little paper cups. The reason I use these is that once my seedlings come up, I can plant the whole thing...pot & seedlings...into the next size pots without hurting the tender roots. The peat pots & newspaper pots just decompose into the soil. Also another great way to recycle newspaper too! :) I TRY to plant 1 or 2 seeds in each pot...it doesn't always work that way especially with the tiny seeds. You will find that some won't sprout...I just press more seeds into those pots later. If you have too many seedlings in one pot, yes, by all means, cut them back. I usually thin them out slowly as they grow until I have 1 or two left...except for chives...you want those in a clump.

ruthie
May 12th, 2001, 02:50 AM
Why thank you for those wonderful suggestions. Last night I got another. It was to mix the seeds with child's play sand before planting, 1 teaspoon of seeds to four of sand. This is then scattered into you pots. I am going to try out some of these ideas with the forget me nots that I have just been gifted.

BearDancing
May 15th, 2001, 03:25 PM
Your plants may have been too small to transfer into another container, how many true leaves did they have?

I use peat pellets, they are about an inch round you add water to them and they swell, you plant the seed and when it is bigger you plant the whole peat pellet into another container or right into the ground.

All you can do is love and talk to them. Maybe you can hear what it is that they need if you are still enough. Some plants do not like to be moved. What seedlings are you talking about, if you are more specific I can share more with you.

Good Luck with your babies (plants)

FairieSpirit

ruthie
May 15th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Things I have been planting:

Herbs: dill, parsley, sweet majoram, coriander, chives (the chives are doing fine I think now). All of those seem okay in their new environment I believe.

Flowers: Ornamental tobacco, Night scented stock, Evening primrose, (I have had too many problems with flowers to mention, but I think that some will be okay).

I think when I first planted them I put far to many to a container. As they were sprouting you could almost see that the roots were choking each other. There was only two to four leaves on the plants, however, I couldn't leave them in the original one. I spent much of this weekend slowly replanting each. A very delicate operation, but most seem okay now. I can only hope. I would like more information so the same mistake isn't made again.

Celtic_Angel
May 18th, 2001, 07:31 PM
When transplanting any plant into the ground or another pot, don't do it slowly! First make sure the soil in the ground or new pot is moist. Then barely water the plants first so the roots are wet and gently remove the plant. As fast as you possibly can stick it in the spot that you are moving it to and water it really well. Even in those brief moments the roots of the plant will go into a state of shock, so it has to be quick. After that, pray and maintain good care of it. Indirect sunlight is best and be careful not to overwater a plant, especially if it's not a tropical plant. Overwatering can cause root rot. Don't know if this helped at all. Good luck!

ruthie
May 19th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Thank you Celtic_Angel, that makes lots of sense. Thanks to all for your input. Things are looking loads better in the garden now :D

Celtic_Angel
May 21st, 2001, 04:42 PM
I'm glad to hear your garden is doing better! Keep sending it love!

Yvonne Belisle
January 31st, 2002, 08:42 PM
Bump

Old Witch
January 31st, 2002, 11:35 PM
I just transferred my tomato seedlings to pots earlier this week. They're going gangbusters.

Lavender
February 1st, 2002, 01:20 AM
Do you find they get leggy?

Old Witch
February 1st, 2002, 08:46 PM
No, because I have a screened porch that we enclose in plastic and heat in the winter...Very good Light because it faces Southeast

Lavender
February 2nd, 2002, 12:42 AM
We're going to start our tomatoes this weekend. I've been sorting & re-sorting my seeds. I had saved extras, hoping to do a seed exchange this year but they met with a slight accident. I had them in little cups on the floor & the rotten dog knocked them over. They're all mixed up now! :(

Old Witch
February 2nd, 2002, 08:41 PM
Make Grab Bags for a surprise garden!