PDA

View Full Version : Sacred book?

Fireheart
May 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
For lack of anything else to call it lol.

I know a lot of pagans have a Book of Shadows. Do you have a BOS, or some other sacred book you've put together? What do you call it? What did you include? What would you like to include?

Artiste-LiLi
May 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
For lack of anything else to call it lol.

I know a lot of pagans have a Book of Shadows. Do you have a BOS, or some other sacred book you've put together? What do you call it? What did you include? What would you like to include?

I call it my Grandmother's cookbook. No, really, I do..and it is. I'm a Family Tradition Witch.....while not everyone in my family practices our familial arts, most do and my grandmother (maternal) was a practicing "witch" (though no one in the family, other than myself, ever says "the 'W' word...most say "granny woman", "healer", "yarb woman/man" etc.) and she kept an extensive "cookbook". It contains everything from recipes for food to spellcraft and healing. I got it from my mother, who got it from my grandmother, who got it from her mother, who got it from her mother, who got it....well, you get the idea. I have recipes in it that came from Ireland. I maintain it and add to it in the same way my ancestors did. I add everything from food stuff to craft and healing stuff. It is two equal sized panels of wood (about 14" x 14" I guess), it has a picture on the front that has been burned into the wood, each panel has two holes in it and the panels are tied together with leather strips. When I want to add a page(s)..I untie the strips of leather, unthread the strips enough to put in the page(s), thread the strips back through the holes in the paper and the holes in the back cover and retie them. I've often thought of going to something like a three ring binder that I could use page protectors or a "scrapbook"(especially since some of the pages are getting very delicate because of age), but, I just can't bear the thoughts of not using this book that was so lovingly crafted, preserved and passed down through the family.

RavenStars
May 23rd, 2008, 02:04 AM
My BoS is pretty much scripts from rituals. Since I'm book taught, I never saw the point in copying correspondences since I can just look them up.

But I've just started an artist's path working book. I'll be gluing pages together in an existing book, then painting, collaging, writing, etc. in search of symbols that crystalize my understanding and development. I'm not sure where this will take me but it feels more authentic then a traditional BoS.

cheddarsox
May 23rd, 2008, 07:06 AM
I have a couple of things...piles of writings, prayers, poems and rituals. Some journals with thoughts, etc scribbled down and I am about to start a "pan-annual" where I keep a pantheist diary.

I need to find something to write it in. I just moved and my writing stuff is still boxed up,so I'm either going to find a journal in the next day or two around the house, or just pick one up while I'm out and start writing.

TygerTyger
May 23rd, 2008, 07:33 AM
To be honest as a Pantheist the thought has never occurred to me.

I don't practice ritual and I only pray occassionally.

I don't believe in spells or magic.

I do commune directly through the experience of natural beauty though.

Lady Shalymar
May 23rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
I have two books that I consider sacred and part of my spiritual journey. There's my book where I write down rituals, meditations, notes on anything I come across that is important. Sometimes I'll use it as my diary when I just really need to speak on something. To me it's a combination of what you would call a book of mirrors and a book of shadows I guess although I'm not Wiccan. The other book I have is my astrology book where I write down everything I've learned in my study of astrology. It's important to me because I feel like this study, when properly applied, deepens my understanding of my spirituality.

Windsmith
May 23rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
I call mine my "Witch's Almanac," and it's got, you know...some stuff in it...a little bit like this:

I. Basics
A. Creed
B. Meditations
C. Daily Practice

II. Magic & Divination
A. Theory
B. Weather lore, observation, and prediction
C. Spells
D. Correspondences
E. Tarot Spreads

III. Celebrations and Rituals
A. Writing ritual intent
B. The Wheel of the Year
a. Sabbats
b. Esbats
c. Other phenomena
C. Rites of Passage

IV. Liturgy
A. Songs and chants
B. Groundings
C. Circle-castings
D. Invocations

V. Personal
A. Journal entries/magical ramblings
B. Articles of note from other sources

RavenStars
May 24th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Windsmith, organized as always!

Heart of All
May 25th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I've got a book in which I write about my rituals, write down any good prayers or chants I come up with, and journal about my spiritual path. In the back and upside down I journal divinatory readings (mostly runes).

Windsmith
May 27th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Windsmith, organized as always!Heh. Believe me - it doesn't look nearly that organized when I'm actually flipping through the pages!