View Full Version : Deck Review: Pearls of Wisdom Tarot

May 25th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Pearls of Wisdom Tarot by Roxi Sim & Caeli Fullbrite
ISBN: 1-933320-17-6 (in case anyone needs that!)
Published by 7th-House.com (the same lovely people who bring you the Seasons of the Witch calendars!)

This is a very "busy" deck, and as such may not appeal to everyone. There is alot of going on in these cards! The borders are highly illustrated, so much so that they sometimes appear to be part of the main card image itself. The colors are very bright, even when the artist is depicting what might usually be thought of as a "somber" card such as the 3 of Swords.

The minors are brightly and interestingly illustrated in this deck. I have often thought that perhaps everyone is just a bit TOO happy! LOL Even the person in the 10 of Wands card seems to be smiling despite the burden being carried, as opposed to some other decks where this character has an oppressed feeling. The minor suits do have the traditional Wands (Fire), Swords (Air), Cups and Pentacles as well as the Page, Knight, Queen & King naming scheme.

The Majors have all the traditional names and follow the RWS Justice 11 and Strength 8 model.

The deck comes with a booklet that goes a bit beyond your standard LWB. There is the usual summation of what the tarot is, as well as a few spreads and the card descriptions and meanings. Here is the really fun part, there are lists of the symbols used and their meanings for the Majors (and even for the backs of the cards!). This really gives you great insight into what the creators were thinking and where they were going with their imagery, and can add more layers to your interpretations. The Minors do not have listings of symbols for each card but instead for each suit.

The cards are a bit larger than your standard deck, (I don't have a ruler with me) but are about the same size as the Goddess Tarot by Waldherr and the Nigel Jackson tarot. The backs of the cards are reversible.

The deck is a little on the sticky side when you take it out of the package, so I would recommend getting some fanning powder (used in magic tricks, easy to find on ebay) and then shuffling for a while to get them into shape for readings. They are quite sturdy, with heavy lamination and can probably take some rough use without getting bent or faded.

I'm not sure if this is a deck I'd recommend for beginners. On the one hand, it is a lovely deck, fraught with symbols and very much based on the RWS system. On the other hand, this (as I said before) is a VERY busy deck, which may be too much for a new reader to look at while they are learning. The book is informative, but I would always recommend getting another, larger book to accompany any deck (if you are a beginner).

On a scale of 5 stars, this one is getting a very strong 4 from me. :)

Other cards I enjoy from this deck: Death, Devil, Ace of Pentacles & 7 of Swords

May 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I've actually used this deck for a couple of the Spread of the Week threads. You can see which ones here, here and here. In case you wanted some sample readings. :)

June 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I was interested in this deck after seeing pics on aeclectic so this review is very helpful. The death and devil are very nonstandard. I wonder what they mean to the author.

Owd Scrat
January 11th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I wanted to mention that this deck has now been reprinted and they're no longer selling the 1st edition. There had been so many complaints about the cardstock, lamination and some printing mistakes that 7th House decided to go ahead and have it redone! Pretty cool, eh?

The new version is spectacular! The cards are bigger which brings every really into focus. You can REALLY see details you couldn't before. Much clearer. The lamination is now matte. MUCH nicer!

The book is now in all colour with colour tabs for the diffferent suit and sections. Glossy pages and it's a larger sized mini book. Quite high quality. There is no new content added though. I wish there had been!

This is an amazing deck filled with unique and vibrant energy.

Here is a link to the publishers site and the new deck. http://www.7th-house.com/pearlsofwisdom.html