PDA

View Full Version : Barr gains Libertarian nod

Phoenix Blue
May 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Former Georgia Rep. Bob Barr was officially nominated Sunday as the Libertarian candidate for president.

"We have only 163 days to win this election -- do not waste one single day," Barr told supporters at the Libertarian National Convention in Denver, Colorado.
More here (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/25/barr.election/).

I wonder if he's changed any of his stances on socially conservative issues since he lost the primary for his Georgia Congressional seat back in 2000. Somehow, I doubt it. I still remember quite vividly his role in the flap over the Sacred Well Congregation in Texas back in 1999, and his statements that Wiccans (and by extension Pagans) shouldn't be allowed to practice their religion while in the military.

And the Libertarian Party goes and nominates him for president. I'm honestly surprised -- I'd've thought they'd do a bit more homework than that. Here's a clue, folks: social conservatives are not interested in small government, because small government doesn't tell people how to behave in the privacy of their own bedrooms or places of worship.

Sequoia
May 25th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Here's a clue, folks: social conservatives are not interested in small government, because small government doesn't tell people how to behave in the privacy of their own bedrooms or places of worship.

QFT. Do they honestly think this guy has the chance of a snowball in hell of winning the seat of the president?

I mean, not that the Libertarians have a really huge chance anyway (unfortunately), but isn't nominating this guy kind of like waving a white flag?

memnoch
May 25th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I don't think he will win. I think this could be the begining of the end for the republican party. The republican base has been complaining about the libralism overcoming the party, now there is a party who has nominated conservative. As much as I don't want Obama to win, I think this might also be exactly what republicans need. Assuming Obama wins, maybe this will straighten out republicans and come up with a new contract with America. Maybe, a conservative can only hope, this will lead to Newt in '12.

Sequoia
May 25th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Well, it would be nice to see the republicans break away from the religious influence, anyway.

Phoenix Blue
May 26th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Newt "I left my wife on her deathbed for a pretty young thing" Gingrich? *Laughs* His career in politics is over.

Laisrean
May 26th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Dang nabbit! When I seen the thread title I was hoping it meant Roseanne Barr; not that jerk who voted for the Patriot act a few years back. 8O

Yeah, I'm disappointed with this nomination. Maybe I won't vote at all this year.

Laisrean
May 26th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Newt "I left my wife on her deathbed for a pretty young thing" Gingrich? *Laughs* His career in politics is over.

There are a lot of men like that. Probably most, in fact.

Laisrean
May 26th, 2008, 04:58 AM
QFT. Do they honestly think this guy has the chance of a snowball in hell of winning the seat of the president?

I mean, not that the Libertarians have a really huge chance anyway (unfortunately), but isn't nominating this guy kind of like waving a white flag?

I'd rather the LP lose for eternity than nominate someone like Barr and actually win. Even if the LP does win, it really defeats the purpose, because the point is to get away from the big parties who gave us things like the Patriot act. I don't think he will win or anything, but if he does he's not going to do what the party has long sought to do.

Dark Phoenix
June 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Dang nabbit! When I seen the thread title I was hoping it meant Roseanne Barr; not that jerk who voted for the Patriot act a few years back. 8O

Yeah, I'm disappointed with this nomination. Maybe I won't vote at all this year.

The same thought has crossed my mind as well, this has to be the most depressing election yet for me.

pawnman
June 3rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
How did Bob Barr, Drug Warrior get the nod from the libertarian party?

Laisrean
June 3rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
How did Bob Barr, Drug Warrior get the nod from the libertarian party?

I'm surprised by that myself. I suppose the view may be that he's turned over a new leaf since he left the G.O.P. but I haven't seen any proof that that is the case.

Dark Phoenix
June 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
I'm surprised by that myself. I suppose the view may be that he's turned over a new leaf since he left the G.O.P. but I haven't seen any proof that that is the case.

The only thing I heard about him turning a new leaf is his fight against the patriot act the last few years.

Laisrean
June 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
The only thing I heard about him turning a new leaf is his fight against the patriot act the last few years.

Well, that's a positive sign, but it doesn't help that he himself had voted for that act.