PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce

memnoch
May 28th, 2008, 10:43 AM
After being what many consider to be the top baseball prospect, made his major league debut last night. He went 3-3, 2 walks, and a stolen base. How is that for a debut? So, what are your predictions for this young man?

As for me, I will avoid the long term, short term, I could see him winning Rookie of the Year.

KellyP
May 28th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Predictions for a rookie phenom? That's always a good topic.

Rookie of the Year in the National League will probably be Soto from the Cubs if they continue to have a good year. He's given a lot of credit for handling their pitching staff and does his share of clutch hitting.

As for Jay Bruce, I don't know what else a kid can do in his debut game. Taking 2 walks alone is amazing but then to 3-3 in his other plate appearances. By all accounts he is a 5 tool player and is accepted by Griffey and Dunne in the clubhouse. Not sure how long he will stay in centerfield but I am guessing he will eventually be a corner outfielder possibly moving when Griffey finally gets out.

I imagine the next month or so will be good for Bruce but then the pitchers will have enough film on him and they will make adjustments. If he is still a hot rookie in August then all the hype will look like smart scouting.

memnoch
May 29th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Predictions for a rookie phenom? That's always a good topic.

Rookie of the Year in the National League will probably be Soto from the Cubs if they continue to have a good year. He's given a lot of credit for handling their pitching staff and does his share of clutch hitting.

As for Jay Bruce, I don't know what else a kid can do in his debut game. Taking 2 walks alone is amazing but then to 3-3 in his other plate appearances. By all accounts he is a 5 tool player and is accepted by Griffey and Dunne in the clubhouse. Not sure how long he will stay in centerfield but I am guessing he will eventually be a corner outfielder possibly moving when Griffey finally gets out.

I imagine the next month or so will be good for Bruce but then the pitchers will have enough film on him and they will make adjustments. If he is still a hot rookie in August then all the hype will look like smart scouting.

You have a great point, we will have to see where things are 2-3 months from now. Another great night tonight though, 1-3, 2 walks 1 run. It should also be pointed out the Reds are playing the Pirates. But for any player to go 4-6 with 4 walks, 1 stolen base, and 3 runs in any two game period is impressive.

thought_on_a_wind
May 29th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I predict he'll do well provided he doesn't get too cocky... or he doesn't choke under ultra-high expectations and publicity... like another team-mate who's 2 away from a record... (in Griffey's defense, I think it sucks that some of the pitchers are forcing him to walk [of course I know I wouldn't want to be the pitcher that handed him that run])

memnoch
May 29th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I predict he'll do well provided he doesn't get too cocky... or he doesn't choke under ultra-high expectations and publicity... like another team-mate who's 2 away from a record... (in Griffey's defense, I think it sucks that some of the pitchers are forcing him to walk [of course I know I wouldn't want to be the pitcher that handed him that run])

He has been under pressure all year, I don't think he will choke. Griffey has a lot of things going on and is a whole nother subject.

thought_on_a_wind
May 31st, 2008, 01:05 AM
He has been under pressure all year, I don't think he will choke. Griffey has a lot of things going on and is a whole nother subject.

True true. Either way, they didn't do half bad tonight. :hehehehe:

thought_on_a_wind
June 1st, 2008, 05:36 AM
That was a nice homer Saturday to clinch the win... He looked like hitting the ball that deep past the fence was the easiest and most effortless thing he could do...