PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Problem

Raevyn
August 29th, 2002, 02:51 AM
Well, maybe that should say "dog problem" - we have a lhasa poo who is almost a year and a half old. She's been well paper trained for over a year. But in the past couple weeks she's started messing on the floor (urinating *and* defecating). Nothing has changed as far as us being around, someone new in the house, her getting treats, or anything. She does it whether we're at home or out, whether we've been home all day or gone all day. Not necessarily in the same area, whether her papers are brand new just clean or very dirty.

We're supposed to move into our (newly renovated) house any day now, and I can't stand the idea of her messing on the new floors! I'm planning to take her to a vet in case she has a urinary tract infection, but she's making both kinds of messes, and I'm wondering if it's something else.

If you have any ideas or know another forum I can get help at let me know.

MidnightSun
August 29th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Our cat, Damion, just started doing that too. The vet said it would happen if his heart murmor didn't get better :/

Faery-Wings
August 29th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Did you get your dog from a shelter by any chance? I know of several people, myself included, who got rescue dogs who seemed fine at first. Then after a period of time, something snaps and anxiety set in.

Are you guys starting to pack yet? If she sees you moving stuff around, thgings being boxed up, stuff like that, she might realize something is up. My dogs all clingy and freaked when she sees a suitcase.

Definitely bring her to the vet and get her checked out. Also do you leave her food down all day and/or does she have access to cat food? We only feel our dog dinner now so she doesn't have problems during the day. And I guess try lettin gher out more often.

I hope you find out what is up with her. Cleaning up poop and pee is no fun!

Old Witch
August 29th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Tippy has chronic kidney problems, so be sure to get your pup checked....could be a generalized infection.............. Let me explain more....If Tippy is starting to get bad, she throws up, poops and pees.....so I know now to start her herbs and meds and It sorta nips it in the bud........

Raevyn
August 29th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Ok, in order MidnightSun, hope your cat starts getting better. :) Chryssi, she came from a family home, we aren't packing yet, she always has food down all day (so will try taking that up) but no cat food in her reach. She's actually paper trained and doesn't need to go outside - just has to visit the papers whenever she feels like it - they haven't moved, are kept extra clean, etc. Old Witch - ok that makes sense. We want to get her shots before we move anyway so she will definitely be seeing a vet.

Faery-Wings
August 29th, 2002, 09:58 AM
One more thing about paper training, I don't know how much paper (size in area) you have down. You might want to try making the size smaller, and lightly reprimanding her if she goes near but off the paper. If she has a large area to go on, she might lose the "boundaries" if that makes any sense.

We had to paper train our dog at one point. And she also would go there even when we took the paper away. We had to close off her "paper area" completely. we still had, and have on occasions, problems still and she is 7.

Good luck!

Danustouch
August 29th, 2002, 10:18 AM
If the vet says it's not a medical problem, perhaps you could try to work with a dog trainer, to see if it's a behavioral problem. If it is a behavioral problem, hopefully, the trainer will be able to fix it. If not...the vet may be able to prescribe some anti anxiety meds for your dog. Since it could be anxiety. Sometimes, the slightest things will contribute to an animals' anxiety.

Any new pets? New Furniture or household items brought in or moved out of the house? Spending more time outside the home? Anyone visiting your house who would seem "foreighn" to your dog?

I don't have much experience with dogs, but I know that when my elderly cat was spraying, the doctor said that even something as small as a new person being in the home, could make him feel territorial, or stressed out, and behave in that manner. Especially if the animal scented a differen't animal on somebody's clothes.

Have you changed his food at all?

Lavender
August 29th, 2002, 01:08 PM
It could also be that your dog is rebeling, testing the authority. We had something similar with our dog. We got a book out of the library on dog training & found it really helpful. Dogs will do that when they're challenging your authority. The book gave us some great suggetions to re-set the dominance order. Dogs are pack animals and tend to view their families as their pack.

unoriginalnames
August 30th, 2002, 05:16 AM
I had the same problem with my cat for a while... started out with bladder stones, got those fixed and he was still doing it. It took lots of tin foil, extra bowls of food, almost a month, and a litter maid self-cleaning cat box to fix it. Of course, a dog is a different matter.

This is exactly why I don't like paper training. Dogs do not think quite the same way as we do, so I don't like the idea of my dog thinking it's OK to go inside the house at all, ever.

If you go to the vet and it's not a medical problem, your vet can probably give you very good ideas on what to do, and will probably ask the right questions to narrow down the cause of the problem. If you don't want to wait, you may want to try those puppy pads you can get at Petsmart instead of just plain paper. I did inherit a dog temporarily from a neglectful home, and the only way I ever got him housetrained was by crate-training, so that's another idea if you want to go that route.

Good luck--I know this is a sucky situation.

Later--Uno